Can I Network Win200Pro to Win 98 with no hub/swit

tango

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001
I'm trying to set a peer-to-peer connection between two computers. I have a lot of information to transfer between these two computers and want to do it via a network connection. This won't be a permanent connection. My problem is I can't get either computer to see the other.

Both computers have cards. The Win98 se, is connected to a cable modem so I'm assuming the nic is fully functional. All of the drives are enabled for file sharing.

The Win2000Pro machine is new and has only the OS and drivers installed.

I've read that a simple peer-to-peer connection can be made. I've installed "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks."

I don't know where I'm going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
You need to use a crossover cable instead of a straight through - then you can connect them back to back (I'm assuming this is what you're trying to do)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think is better to have an hub or switch. It is a lot more stable that way. I hear some people have problem with direct connnection.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I think is better to have an hub or switch. It is a lot more stable that way. I hear some people have problem with direct connnection
There is absolutely no reason to HAVE to use a hub or switch. If done correctly (crossover cable) it will work, guaranteed.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
no one told you how to make a crossover cable though...
although you can buy them, thats what the weak do. You need a crimper, which can be expensive,~$30 (I have one now, but when a friend of mine needed one, he bought it, used it, and then took it back to the store the same day). a lenght of cord, which can usually be bought from home depot by the foot very cheaply, and rj-45 connectors. Now, a crossover cable is a cable that has each end's pairings inverted. That does not make much sense, but it will in a second. Look at your current connector. lets just say for arguments sake that it has two pairs/four wires and they are red yellow green and white going across in that order. on a regular cable this is the same on the opposing end. However in a crossover cable, the other end will be white green yellow and red when looked at from the same reference point on the connector. there are all kinds of diagrams for this on the net if you need them -- its tough to explain in text only.
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
Oh I also forgot an important point. if you do decide to use a hub, you have to make sure you have a common protocol among the machines. tcp/ip is ok, but ipx/spx is easier-- no configuration necessary. if you use tcp/ip, you have to configure addresses and whatnot.
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Unless you have Win2000. I don't know if it's my specific copy or not (it's an unusual version), but I can do a fresh install on two computers, share an internet connection on one of the two, and I'm done.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

bastioned

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Of course you can, just make sure you use the same network protocol ( probably you´ll be using tcp, but who knows ) and a cross-over cable and you´re set.
To configure the network do the next:
First, assign different IP numbers to each comp, and make them to be in the same subnet : 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
Second, make them part of the same workgroup, that way they will be able to see shared resources .
And third, in W98 install Share Files and Printers, and in W2000 check the Share Files and Printers checkbox in the connection properties.

Bastion - Zero Tolerance