Good cars for $4000

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
What do you like? At 4k there should be plenty of options. Do you want a truck, sporty, or just a reliable point A to B? Heck I paid $1000 for a good running 280Z, $1500 for a 85 GMC 3/4 ton with a 383 in it, and many running VW cars. I have a friend who just got a 240Z with and SR20 in it for 4k. I could have sold you a 91 Chevy half ton 4x4 with a freshly rebuilt drivetrain and motor, 4" lift and 32" tires for $4300. I sold it last week though. It was a fun truck but the jeeps are a little better for where we go.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks Im looking for something within the 1990-2013 sporty cars

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
For that price range the best bang for the buck will be a JDM car, meaning a used one imported in recently from Japan. I'd go for a 240sx, silvia, or pulsar gti-r myself. They have a good power to weight and parts are easy to find. The next one I'd look at would be a Celica, I don't know if you can find an RC model for that price, but they're all decent. The last on my list would be an Integra or a Civic. These are also great cars to purchase if you plan on learning how to modify as there are lots of aftermarket parts for all of the ones listed. They are all pretty good quality vehicles as well. If you find a car pm me and I can help you with advise on it. I do recommend getting a manual car in your price range as early year automatics are not much fun for early and mid 90s cars.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

:( Thanks but I live in the US I drive cars that are easy to find :( Thanks :sarcastic:

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
You can find already imported JDM cars pretty easily. That way you don't have to deal with the paperwork or importing so it's just like buying a regular car. I bought one car like that and have friends who've bought 3 different vehicles that way as well.

sourabhsharma

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Honestly, it depends on your personal preferences!! If you want something sporty or something go for a BMW in the 90's or a Nissan in the 90's or 2000's. It also depends on the amount of milage you want on the vehicle. but if you want a SUV try looking for a toyota 4 runner or a nissan pathfinder or something. If you want a car with good gas milage look for a toyota camry or a honda accord or even a toyota corolla or a honda civic. They all depend on your personal preferences!

sourabhsharma

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Honestly, it depends on your personal preferences!! If you want something sporty or something go for a BMW in the 90's or a Nissan in the 90's or 2000's. It also depends on the amount of milage you want on the vehicle. but if you want a SUV try looking for a toyota 4 runner or a nissan pathfinder or something. If you want a car with good gas milage look for a toyota camry or a honda accord or even a toyota corolla or a honda civic. They all depend on your personal preferences!

popatim

Titan
05+ grand prix gt or gtp should be around 4k with a real reliable 3800 engine that should get 32+mpg highway. The gtp will be supercharged and still get the same mileage. Theres aslo a v8 gxp version but only gets 25-ish.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
For a truck: 97 Chevy S10 ZR2 - Amazing offroad vehicle and a good reliable truck as well. I had one with a aftermarket chip and K&N filter and it was pushing 210+ HP. Fast, Attractive, and functional. Plus the 4.3L V6 is a great motor.

For a car: Any Japanese car is pretty good, but I prefer Nissan. Reliable, good gas mileage, and the interiors are a little nicer than Toyota and Honda (In the 1990's anyway).

G

Until the head gasket goes out or the transmission fails in a big bad way. Buddy of mine had a GTP with the supercharger and no mods. His head gasket went at about 70K miles. At 100K the transmission went. It's because GM went cheap with those supercharged motors and using regular parts, not higher quality parts for the higher engine output. Same problem exists on just about all of the 3.8L Series III (I think) supercharged engines. The Monte Carlo SS, the GTP, I think some Buick's had that same set up.

For $4G's you won't find much, hate to say. I'm in the same boat as you, and I've had a LOT of cars (never any wrecks, just get bored with them and move on.) I've had the following:

1. 1991 Ford Festiva (Who needs a hybrid to get 40+ MPG? I got almost 50 MPG in that thing, and since the engine was MAZDA design, and so were the other mechanical parts, it lasted forever. Too bad no acceleration. I had a rosary next to me when I got on the freeway though cause I was praying to live! And I'm NOT catholic!)
2. 1993 (I think) Dodge Dynasty. (Called it the Die NASTY. Had it all of 3 weeks and got rid of it. Lost $1000 on that deal.)
3. 1992 Ford Thunderbird (awful 3.8L V6 engine, blew it's head gasket)
4. 1988 Mazda RX-7 (Second Gen, Nice car, but needed work every other week)
5. 1998 Saturn SL (base model, 4 door, Only option it had was A/C)
6. 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatchback (All I can say is "Thank God for Alarms!")
7. 1989 Nissan 240SX XE Model (Think Silvia, with pop-ups. Damn truck motor under the hood was a SOHC, but had good torque!)
8. 1993.5 Infinity G20 (Nice car, had the SR20 low port, very fun to drive, but very stiff factory suspension. I called it the "tooth chipper" and damn expensive to fix!)
9. 1998 Saturn SC2 (Great car, but I felt like it was too feminine for me. Good power though, and solid. Until the tranny went out after I sold it.)
10. 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4 Door. (Still running, @ 214K miles. Just gave it to a family member.)

So I've known GM and Mazda to be the more reliable (at least in my experience) and often the cheaper of the bunch. If you live in an area where they salt the roads in winter, get a Saturn. Sealed under body and plastic doesn't rust. Also, dead simple (and really easy to drive stick shifts.)

Also, FWIW most of the Honda's and some Nissan/Infinity's I've come across (and owned) had had a chronic problem with bad axle's (namely the CV boot.) The dust cover almost always rips and you get grease everywhere and dust gets in, contaminating things and it's all bad times from there. If you do look at them, pop under the car with a flashlight and give it a look-see. If it's torn, try to get about $300-$500 off the asking price to fix it. It's a PITA.

cyder

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Toyota Echo - Proven workhorse for a million miles (youtube it) . Excellent mpg. Tonload of seating / boot space (can fit dual 12 " subwoofers in there and a case of beer). Heckuva fun vehicle to drive, nice suspension and a tuned up engine will surprise you for a 1.5. Con - Low appeal to the criminal eye.

Adalinestella

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
This thread is old :( But I have a volvo s60 now so im ok :)[/quotemsg]

It is good that you have but in future enjoy with the electric car as it is good idea towards tension free journey along with saving money.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

It is good that you have but in future enjoy with the electric car as it is good idea towards tension free journey along with saving money.

[/quotemsg]

After watching Top Gear UK, I do like the electric cars. But, there is a couple bad things about them... Firstly, charging takes a long time. Secondly, in order to make electricity we need coal(as if now). And lastly, they are overpriced(as if now)

Adalinestella

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
After watching Top Gear UK, I do like the electric cars. But, there is a couple bad things about them... Firstly, charging takes a long time. Secondly, in order to make electricity we need coal(as if now). And lastly, they are overpriced(as if now)[/quotemsg]

In New Zealand electric stations are setting up , and in many countries they will set up up to 2014. Talking to overpriced many financial companies provide cheap finance on it as government considering these as to save natural environment.
Even in Future "solar panel car" will make to avoid the electric charging.