Two networks one LAN one WAN different subnets wan for internet

jeagerjr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello, I belong to a domain that has unimaginable slow internet. I need the domain resources, like printers and shared drives, but I would like to use a 4g wifi router for internet only.

Is this possible?

Solution
You should be able to prioritize network connections by going to Start/Settings/Network Connections, advanced file menu choice, advanced settings, adapters and bindings and moving the connections up and down to order as needed, as shown HERE. I don't recall but this may require a restart after to enable the setting.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, it is possible and fairly easy. You just need to add a NIC or usb network adapter to your computer and configure it to the private network of the 4g router (different network than your primary network). Unless you are in charge of the network, check with your IT guy first to insure that it is allowed under company/school/whatever policy.

jeagerjr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks, Realbeast. That's good to know. One more question. the ethernet nic is our local domain. It has our printers and shared drives, and access to virtual drives with applications, as well as a gateway to the internet. This internet is so slow. I want to add a 4g modem and access the internet only through a usb wifi adapter.

What settings do I need to change to make this so?

I think it has to do with gateway, but where do i make this change.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

je

RealBeast

Titan
Depending on your OS for the exact location, once you install the drivers for the usb wifi adapter, the adapter should show up in the network "change adapter settings" area -- you can then select the adapter, right click on it and select properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (in Win 7 or Vista) or Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Win XP and select properties and then you can assign the IP address, subnet mask and gateway.

jeagerjr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks, again, Realbeast. You are getting me close. I am using winXP Pro.

I can make the changes for the wifi card using the gateway as 192.168.1.1 (which is the address of the MiFi).

Could you please help me figure out how to change the ethernet settings to go the wifi gateway?

Do I make that change in the TCP/IP setting on the LAN? and the WAN?

I feel I am just so close, but I have no idea. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much.

je

RealBeast

Titan
So your wifi is 192.168.1.1, and I will assume that your other LAN is something other than 192.168.1.x. Just to Start/Settings/Network Connections, right click on the MiFi adapter, select properties, highlight Internet Protocol in the white box area and click properties, then check "use the following IP address." Type in an IP address like 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and gateway 192.168.1.1.

I can't give you specific instructions for the MiFi, but you will want to configure it for the client computer being 192.168.1.2 through a static address or reserved dynamic address.

jeagerjr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Realbeast, one last question, I promise.

I was able to make the change on the MiFi properties.

And if I disable the ethernet, the computer accesses the internet from the wifi adapter. But when I enable ethernet, it goes back using the original internet.

But what do I do to the ethernet adapter TCP/IP properties? What tells the computer to use the wifi adapter gateway instead of the ethernet?

What do I change the ethernet gateway settings to force internet to go through the wifi adapter?

Thanks, man. Seriously. Forums like this is the best thing about the internet.

je

RealBeast

Titan
You should be able to prioritize network connections by going to Start/Settings/Network Connections, advanced file menu choice, advanced settings, adapters and bindings and moving the connections up and down to order as needed, as shown HERE. I don't recall but this may require a restart after to enable the setting.

Solution