New Dell Inspiron 6000, game freezes

I just purchased and recieved an Inspiron 6000 1.6., 128, 512 with all of the
Mcafee Security settings on/enabled. What configuration/settings is best for
gaming. "Call of Duty" specifically. Does "Skype" slow performance?

I am able to connect and play just fine and after 1-5 minutes, the system
freezes w/o being able to exit or shutdown.

Does anyone have any advice?
1 answer Last reply
More about dell inspiron 6000 game freezes

    Hi,

    "rc2@sbcglobal.net" <rc2@sbcglobal.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I just purchased and recieved an Inspiron 6000 1.6., 128, 512 with all of the
    | Mcafee Security settings on/enabled. What configuration/settings is best for
    | gaming. "Call of Duty" specifically. Does "Skype" slow performance?
    |
    | I am able to connect and play just fine and after 1-5 minutes, the system
    | freezes w/o being able to exit or shutdown.
    |
    | Does anyone have any advice?

    Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
    errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

    Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
    I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :-)

    1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

    2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
    and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
    Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
    heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
    Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

    3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
    and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
    wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

    4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User