Sign in with
Your question

Need repair advice

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 6:20:55 PM

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz
GPU: 5870 1gb
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX
HDD: 1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
PSU: OCZ Stealthxtreme 2 750w
Windows 7 64bit
Running at 1080p single display

My computer has been having issues since I put it together. Lots of screen tearing and low frame rates. I've replaced every part of my computer excluding the memory and HDD. Thinking this was a hardware problem, I figured eventually I'd replace the offending hardware.

After an RMAed PSU that went up in smoke, a brand new CPU, brand new motherboard, brand new GPU, the problems still persist. I'm trying to avoid a computer repair shop at all costs, I just don't trust them.

An example of the issue: If I download a very high quality image and open it up and zoom in to the point where I can move the image around, you can visibly see major stuttering and screen tearing. The SAME issue I have with video games and other media. Youtube 1080p HD video is another piece of media that shows obvious stuttering. And I'm not talking about HUGE stutters, but micro ones that drop the framerates of whatever media or game I'm playing. I can't even get 45 FPS on medium settings on Battlefield 3 without serious tearing and frame rate drops.

Even just clicking and dragging my mouse over some icons on the left side of the screen, and dragging the click and drag box to the opposite side I can see the click and drag box stuttering as it expands.

So could this be related the memory or the HDD from the sound of it? It would save me money to just buy them from newegg and see if they work. But what is the point if the HDD and memory wouldn't cause this issue.

I've checked temps, done spyware and virus removal, drivers are fine and up to date.... I just don't get it.

More about : repair advice

February 14, 2013 7:32:19 PM

first off do you have the most recent drivers for your GPU downloaded from AMD's website? this could most definitely be the cause of screen tearing, also i assume you are connecting via HDMI cable?
m
l
February 15, 2013 1:35:16 PM

Yes, I always update my drivers and check frequently. I am using a DVI cable to connect my display.
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 2:22:32 PM

Hi There,

I had a similar issue also slow FPS... It turned out to be a bad harddrive that was corrupting the data feed to the Screencard, or so it seemed.. I replaced the drive, reloaded windows and voila all worked...

Possibly you have the same issue
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:26:51 PM

Well the HDD has a pretty low score in the Windows Index scoring thing, possibly there is an issue with it. Is there some kind of diagnostic for the HDD?
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:33:47 PM

I usually use HDAT2 for checking for corrupt sectors, but their might be more indepth programs to use.

I'd recommend downloading a copy of Herins Boot Disc. Has a large number of programs to choose from.
m
l
!