Will buy you something

Nearcyded

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
willing to buy someone who is knowledgable with building gaming systems something online - 50$, I know I'm a bit cheap, but it could be a nice stick of ram or a new game =). I really want someone to look at my current set up and tell me what's holding me back, and where I can upgrade easy. I'd love if they would reccommend parts from newegg or some reliabe site. I really want to plan what I want to buy so I can slowly start purchasing it. If anyone is seriously interested please respond! I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to putting a pc together, just unsure of where i can spend less money and still have a substantial upgrade. lemme pick yo brain

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hey nearcyded, i am willing to help you and you dont have to purchase me anything just glad to help,
first off what is the intended gameplay? ie what games? what resolution etc are you wanting max graphic settings? whats your budget

^As they said, this is a community full of knowledgeable, helpful people. The local computer shop may expect payment, but we don't; we're here because this is something we enjoy.
If this is to be a new build, there is a Sticky thread at the top of the New Builds forum that contains a template of questions. The answers to those questions (budget, uses, parts you already have, location, preferences, etc.) will help us build a good system. Similarly, if this is to be an upgrade, please provide us with as much information as you can, including your existing PC / parts, a budget, and what you'd like to accomplish.

Nearcyded

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Thanks man. I'm not going to lie, I play a bit of everything. The main games I really want to play on ultra settings are World of Warcraft (embarrassing I know), Planetside 2, Grand Theft Auto 5, and a wide range of steam games. The resolution i'd love to play on is 1920 x 1080, which I'm currently running, but can only run on medium settings with 60 fps. I could run on higher settings, but I'm ocd and can't stand fluxuating framerate or anything below 60. My budget is very flexible because I want this to be an ongoing project where I slowly purchase what I want over the next couple months. I'd say $1,000-$2,000. I want to make a system that I'm not going to be unsatisfied with in 6 months.

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
okay well that seems reasonable to me!
ill let camohanna suggest a CPU for you because hes got the Intel lockdown.
1.) GPU if you like AMD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202007
2.) This is the mobo i have but a motherboard is really whatever you want it to be so heres a start http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645
3.) 650w PSU by seasonic which is a phenomenal brand but there are other brands as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

then as far as cases go what look do you prefer? what functionality is key to your satisfaction
im trying to get all my stuff from newegg since thats your go to place

Nearcyded

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Just some forewarning, I'm a bit new to computer terminology, so I'll try my best to be as clear as possible. My motherboard is an hp M2N68-LA. My processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 240, 2800 mhz. I have a single stick of ddr3 which is a 2gig. My graphics card is a Gigabyte Gefore GTX 650 TI and my power supply is a 400watt.

Nearcyded

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I actually just bought a new case for my old system. It has great ventilation, so I think I might stick with it. I realize that all my parts are due for an upgrade. I'm actually pretty upset with the gpu because a salesmen at fry's told me that it would be able to run most of the games I want at max settings, but it's barely better than my old 9800 gt or perhaps something else in my system is holding it back.

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

okay well i am not the most affluent with amd cpu's but i can tell you that youre accurate about needing a fresh build/update if you wish to max out current games at 1080p. i think "system overhaul" would be the proper term :p

because you said you were possibly going to be adding components as you go along, i take that gaming is something you want prior to lets say the cosmetics and peripherals like fans, keyboards and the like?

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

what case are we talking about here??
and as i mentioned im not a expert of any sort on amd processors but i think your cpu may be bottlenecking the gpu for optimum usage. especially since its considered a "low powered processor"
the salesman at fry's was pretty close to correct because your card is in the same competitive tier as my 7850 as far as pricing

Nearcyded

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

100% correct. I was wondering if there was an order in which I can purchase these suggestions that allow me add it to my existing computer and see the difference as the purchasing goes along, meaning I'm not buying something that sits in the box until I can buy the new part thats compatible with it (i'm pretty bad at wording sometimes). Like should I aim to get a new motherboard first? Or ram?

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
okay well whats your immediate budget like if you were to buy something as early as today how much would that be? because honestly your GPU isnt that bad so if you were able to spend say...$400 i think you would see enormous amount of improvement from a new CPU and mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504 i know this is a highly recommended CPU
paired with the mobo listed above (once again this is open for whatever you like, this is the mobo i use so speaking from personal experience i am thrilled with it including the UEFI bios

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
yea this case is a good start, no need to update the case for right now especially since you have gotten it more recently than your other components.
im thinking with if you can spring for
1.) new cpu
2.) mobo
3.) psu
then you would be at a really good place to start "building up" as you go

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Oh yes, my mistake your ram is DDR2 right? you will have to get new ram as 1155 boards or any recent mobos for that matter are DDR3 which is not backwards compatible. Ram does have a small indirect effect on gaming considering GPU's have on board Vram but i believe the "Sweet Spot" for Ram for gaming currently is 8 gigs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

^^people have been raving about these since the price is nice for 8gigs. also you can see the reviews on newegg are excellent

camohanna

Distinguished
Best off to start off fresh :) I suggest this. This is a whole deal package :) If you are building it bit by bit, i suggest buying everything except the 1tb hdd and the graphics card first. Thats are bare system. This system has room for crossfire down the track

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DyNn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DyNn/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DyNn/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($157.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1603.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-14 17:54 EST-0500)

Few Oranges

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
yeah what camohanna has listed above is an excellent, well rounded rig. and since you are going piece by piece then just pick and choose out of the parts listed above as you feel necessary to. If youre planning on doing something immediate then cpu, mobo, ram, psu are a must before all else

It is; your AMD X2 240 has your graphics card in a choke hold. More below...

This is mostly good, but I'd make a few changes. The CPU, mobo, RAM, and SSD are good. For hard drives, I strongly prefer the WD Black models because they are the only consumer drives to retain five year warranties; everyone else has shortened theirs, many to as few as two years, which does not inspire confidence.
Wait on the video card. Use your GTX650Ti, if only to see what it can do. Even if it isn't enough, how much improvement you need will guide your final purchase. Maybe a $250-$300 card will be enough.
I'm not saying it's a bad case or bad cooler, and there are plenty of people who do not agree with me, but I cannot ethically recommend ANY Coolermaster product, regardless of quality, because the company has been proven in competent technical reviews of some of its products to be dishonest, guilty of willful consumer fraud. Fortunately there are alternatives in every market where they are found. I personally like Rosewill, Antec, and Fractal Design for cases, and the less-expensive Xigmatek Gaia was found to be between the Hyper 212+ and EVO in Frostytech reviews, but quieter than either.
I don't think there are any less-than-excellent Seasonic PSUs out there, although unless you know you'll want to run two very powerful cards, a 650W unit will be sufficient for ANY single card, and two of all but the strongest.