Worth updating this systems graphic card?

ijcoventry

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Heya :)

Its an old system, and I will hopefully get a new one when the wife lets me! however, I wonder if the current system would benefit from a graphics card update? if so, what would you recommend?

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 1963MB used, 10319MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 3816 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1001 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Current Mode: 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Thanks in advance for your time and advice :)

Is that the maximum resolution of the display? Please post the specs of the powersupply, a stronger graphics card may need more power than the currently installed unit can provide.
Silly question I know but: Is this for playing games, if so which ones? ;)
For a gaming rig the card is a little weak, you'll certainly get better graphics with a stronger card.
The Q6600 is a fairly old CPU but it's still useful, adding a better cooler and delving into the Dark Art of overclockig will unleash some extra horsepower.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Id personally get a GTX660.

Going from a 9600GT to a 660 will blow your mind. Im not sure what the power draw is from a 9600GT so you "May" need a PSU upgrade. Overall, I personally think that's a decent build that's just lacking a bit in the Graphics department. :D

Core 2 Quad's still do good in the CPU market. So I think you'll be alright in that area for the time being.

If it can run a 9600GT, it can definitely run a GTX650, but it would be useful to know the PSU if you're gaming and want more muscle than a GTX650 could provide.

Simmons, it's 95 watts TDP and 140 watts on the GTX660 so not miles apart :) GTX650 is 65 watts by the way.

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

With Great Power, comes The Great Electricity Bill :lol:

And a GTX 650 would be enough if you game a little... And no PSU upgrade.
However a GTX 660 will give a massive Boost around 5-6 times. (Read it somewhere)

ijcoventry

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Really? its like 4-5 years old or so..I never thought it would be able to run modern cards! I havnt thought about any budget, was even wondering if its worth upgrading at all!

Are you sure its a q6600? those specs are straight from copy paste and I just want to make sure since it doesnt mention that on dxdiag.

The power output is a 'win-power ATX-500, max output 500w'. Theres a whole bunch of numbers under that on the supply if they help at all :)

Thanks for your time guys, sorry for the newbie questions :p

ijcoventry

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Wow this forum replies fast lol!

Yes its for gaming :) thats all I really do with my PC outside of things you could do with a calculator like typing and wotnot. P0lanetside 2 atm is what I play most but I have to turn it down to minecraft levels just to make it playable. Generally I avoid newer games since its an older system, hence questions :)

Go to START, right click on Computer, then select properties.

It should tell you exactly what CPU you have.

Your PSU is not one of the better rated PSUs, I recommend geting something from Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PCP&C, XFX, or Enermax in the 500-600 watt range( maybe a little more), especially if you plan on overclocking. Good Luck!

+1 to that, except Enermax. And not all Corsair, Antec and PC P&C units are Seasonic-built. All XFXs are though. I thought Q6600 too (I used to have one also) and the specs look right. A GTX650 should deliver easily double your current performance. A GTX650 Ti would add ~40% again. And a GTX660, ~50% again.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Not to mention if the PSU is 4-5 Years old, the Capacitors (And other components in general inside the PSU) have surely aged a bit and are not as efficient.

It doesn't have to be Seasonic built to be a good PSU..I've even seen some Rosewill's with a good rating... ;)

ijcoventry

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Okay i checked it doesn't say q6600 when i clicked properties...so is it something else?

it literally says " Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz "

Yes that is the monitors default resolution yes, its only a tiny LG screen :)

This is true - I have a Corsair TX850 that's not a Seasonic-built model and it's been going strong for ages. However it doesn't make for a simple answer for the less technically-literate. A much easier answer is "stick with Seasonic-built and you can't go wrong. These guys use Seasonic units:...". There's a lot to be said to not complicating things :)

Yeah it'll be a Q6600 - still a quality CPU.

AH HA! The games afoot!
It's almost certainly a Q6600 CPU, not the fastest out there but good enough.
I'd go with the others here, the PSU could be better, but it'll depend on if you want to get into overclocking, for now it should be enough. Just check carefully that it has enough PCI-E connectors, again, it should be OK, but there's no harm in making sure befoe pressing the 'add to cart' button.
The GTX660 (non Ti) is the very, very maximum to consider and at such a low resolution I'd be inclined to suggest the GTX650Ti as being a better fit.
Do n't be bothered with the PCI-E versions, the cards being mentioned here will take no noticeabe performance hit running in your (I'm assuming) older PCI-E 1.0 motherboard.
This chart is useful:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32586.html

I'd agree if the GTX660 and GTX650 Ti weren't so closely-priced. For the price difference, GTX660 makes more sense interms of value when performance difference is pretty major. Sounds like an overall upgrade is potentially coming up (if OP's wife gives the go-ahead :)) and then he'll unlock any remaining GPU performance that was bottlenecked, maybe get a 1080p monitor too. A shiny new 24" IPS and i5 3570K would be a bit let down by a GTX650 Ti compared to a GTX660.

@ sam-p-lay: Depends on what the OP is planning, but if shiny new setup is in the offing in the near future-especially a monitor upgrade-I agree totally, I'd even suggest getting a new PSU and even stronger card now to carry them over into the new build/upgrade later might be the best soloution here.

@ ijcoventry: I take it you're in good old Blighty, old boy?
If so here's a few names to look at: Scan, Aria, Dabs, Overclockers, Misco, Ebuyer, Novatech and Pixmania.
As an upgrade to the existing system the GTX650Ti you linked to on E-bay is a good one, decent seller too, an importaint point when dealing on E-bay.
I'd go for the 650Ti upgrade now, maybe add a better cooler into the mix and overclock the CPU as well then aim to replace the whole box later, maybe mid year then either E-bay it as a going concern or donate it to the wife/kids/granparents (there's nothing wrong with greasing the axles of life;)).