Your question

Need help-Would like to add a tv as a third monitor

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2012 12:03:00 PM

Hello all! I currently have a two monitor set-up and would like to add a 32in. Samsung HDTV above these two monitors as a third display.

First off, let me provide the requested info from the sticky that I read at the top of this forum.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Now

BUDGET RANGE: $100-$200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: THIS IS NOT A GAMING OR VIDEO RIG. I USE IT STRICTLY FOR MUSIC PRODUCTION. I DON'T NEED A TOP-OF-THE-LINE 3D GRAPHICS CARD!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4350 and Seasonic 350W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel i5 750, Intel DP55WB MoBo, 12GB DDR3, 2x LG W2340 monitors w/HDMI, DVI and VGA connections. The TV has VGA and HDMI options for input (as well as component)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:No preference

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:None

OVERCLOCKING:No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:No

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My goal with this project is very simple. I would like a to find the cheapest way possible to add this tv to my current set-up. The graphics card is currently in a PCI-ex16 slot and I also have two open PCI-ex1 slots.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

More about : add monitor

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 29, 2012 12:25:47 PM

well, you have a few options
Option 1, which is the simplest, but not cheapest option, is to get a good quality high end GPU that can support 3 monitors. Most of the current gen GPUs will support this, but I am not up on what is the cheapest one that has 3 monitor support. This would be the simplest bug-free option, but also likely the most expensive.

Option 2, Depending on the motherboard that you have you may be able to run 1 monitor off of the onboard video, and then 2 monitors off of the GPU. You may run into some odd issues and glitches from time to time, but I use to do this a long time ago and was able to do it with moderate success. As you would not have to purchase anything this would be the first thing to try. Simply get into BIOS, make sure that the onboard video is enabled even when a discrete card is present, hook up the monitors, and restart. You may need to play with Windows to enable all monitors and position them properly, but if you are already running a duel head setup then I am sure you know how to do this.

Option 3, Run a 2nd discrete GPU. Simply purchase a cheap 2nd GPU that fits into an available slot. As a general rule of thumb I would run a card that is as similar as possible to the card you already have which uses the same driver set, but technically you should be able to mix and match cards with minimal issue. The plus side to this is that it will give you 2 extra outputs, so if you want to run Audition across 4 monitors/TVs then you will be able to add that 4th monitor with ease.

Option 4, you can get a USB monitor adapter to run the display. These tend to be more for laptop use, and I would not particularly suggest it unless you had no other options.

Best of luck!
m
l
December 29, 2012 2:45:46 PM

Thanks alot CaedenV! Very helpful. I will look into all of these options. Have a good one!
m
l
!