AgeofEmpire load sound.drs load problem:

This is an expansion of earlier post re loading my 1999 issue Age of Empire 2
into my new XP. At 77% completion it begins to slow and finally at 83%,
during "sounds.drs" installation phase, it freezes and tells me setup
encounter a disk error writing to Age2\Data\sounds.drs and to make sure disk
is not full or file is not in use". I have plenty of room (30GB free) and
not playing any disk, unless Age is playing with itself without telling me.
What is possible? I played almost daily for the last 4 years on a much
weaker Win98 machine. Could I have worn out the disk??

"oldgamer" <oldgamer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is an expansion of earlier post re loading my 1999 issue Age of
> Empire 2
> into my new XP. At 77% completion it begins to slow and finally at 83%,
> during "sounds.drs" installation phase, it freezes and tells me setup
> encounter a disk error writing to Age2\Data\sounds.drs and to make sure
> disk
> is not full or file is not in use". I have plenty of room (30GB free) and
> not playing any disk, unless Age is playing with itself without telling
> me.
> What is possible? I played almost daily for the last 4 years on a much
> weaker Win98 machine. Could I have worn out the disk??

Yup you could be on the right track, if the disk was damaged this would be
exactly the kind of error you'd get, error when trying to copy a file.

However all is not lost. You could try booting in safe-mode and installing,
this will rule out other applications upsetting the install process.

To do this, reboot your machine and press F8 repeatedly just before you
would normally see the Windows XP logo screen. You should then get a menu
up, select Safe Mode from the list and press enter. This will now go and
boot your machine will the bare very minimum. From here try installing AoK,
if it does install successfully reboot your machine and see if it works. :cool:

If you still get a similar sort of thing try giving the disc a clean, or
even running a lens cleaner through your drive.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*