Wired camera over 1,000 away from router

I want to run a network connection from my house to the gates at end of my driveway which is about 1,200 feet from the house- I want to connect to 1 or 2 (IR) HD camera(s). I have an existing 1.5" conduit with a 110V wire for lights on a motion sensor, and a 16/3 gauge wire for gate electronics (pin pad).

What is my best option to mount 1 or 2 HD cameras at the gate? I have 110 power available there.

Will a Cat 5 or Cat 6 wire have "noise" issues in the conduit with the 110V 12/2 wire?

What's best for this outdoor application? IP camera or co-ax connect? or other type?

Is wireless an option? I do not have clear LOS so I would need to provide multiple devices for a LOS connection- OR need the best solution for NLOS with two bends in the driveway with trees blocking the LOS.
5 answers Last reply
More about wired camera router
  1. That's way too far for an Ethernet run, it would require expensive fiberoptic to do it with cable.

I've been looking at doing a similar setup and have not yet found a good solution other than an expensive high power wireless setup so far.
  2. RealBeast said:
    That's way too far for an Ethernet run, it would require expensive fiberoptic to do it with cable.

Actually, that is not true. You can purchase Ethernet Extenders that reach over a MILE on twisted pair or coax. They are not cheap, but they work.
  3. Oh, yeah sorry, I meant just a straight run up my yard where there is no power for extenders. Can they be powered just at the house end?
  4. RealBeast said:
    Oh, yeah sorry, I meant just a straight run up my yard where there is no power for extenders. Can they be powered just at the house end?

I don't think so. However, for a special case I have pushed twisted pair Ethernet out to about 650 feet by locking one NIC to 10Mbps half duplex and using a good grade of Cat5e cable.
  5. Seems like the best (not as expensive as fiber optic) solution is wireless with a repeater, as I do not have clear LOS. Thx for all of your responses.

Mike
Ask a new question

Read More

LAN Network Connection Connection Cameras Networking