I just wanted to get an opinion from you guys. This will be my first new build from scratch as opposed to rebuilds from Alienwares that were a complete nightmare... The following are the specs I'm thinking about going with, but I'm unsure of a few and just want to get some opinions. I will be using this for office work, day trading, gaming and perhaps some video editing, music and video streaming, etc:
Case: Corsair 800D
MOBO: Asus Maximus V Formula LGA1155 / Z77
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3
PSU: Corsair AX850
Cooling: Corsair H100i
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 GHz Ed Vapor-X
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Phoebus
Any comments/advice/criticism welcomed and thank you for your input..
1. Depending on how much editing (amateur/professional) go with i5 for mainly gaming. Go with i7 for extensive editing.
2. Falling back on number 1, if you do do a lot of editing, 16GB would be better.
3. Go with air cooling like Noctua D14 or even 212 EVO (moderate OC) unless you get a custom water system. High end air cooling provides equal performance with less hassle.
4. The motherboard is way overkill. You will probably never use half of it's specs. Go with something like the UD5H from Gigabyte or the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. That will be plenty of motherboard unless you really want to do like triple SLI/CrossFire.
5. The 7970 is my choice but if you go with Nvidia, don't get the 680. It is way overpriced will little performance gain over the 670.
6. For SSD, I would suggest OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 840 Pro series
7. The 800D is way overpriced. Get something like the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advaced or even the Rosewill THOR V2 (Great case for the price). That is if you can utilize a full tower.
First off guys, thanks for the replies..and for those links with the power needed for the video cards, it's very helpful.
OK, so I can easily do a 700-850 PSU. I do have an interest in doing some overclocking, so I thought this board will give me all I need now and "future proof," my rig for possible expansion later, whether it be video cards or what have you.. I probably would upgrade to just 2 cards in SLI CFX, so I guess no matter what, I will not need 1050.
I plan on using 3 23" monitors for this build.
I already have the case and I paid $150 for it, so not too bad and I wanted a full tower because that's what I'm used to and like having a lot of room inside.
I will definitely consider the air cooling if you guys think that's a better option.
I do some editing, but my wife does extensive editing and will probably be using this PC as well... I'm coming from an i7-970 CPU.
I was thinking of going with the 7970 as I have no experience with Nvidia cards, but I keep reading about a lot of driver issues.. Is this blown up to be more than it really is?
Also, I may upgrade the SSDs, but I already have them, so I'm just going to use them for the time being.
I'm not trying to cut corners or anything here, I'm trying to stay under 15-1700 as far as money goes. My main concern is not thinking about or needing to upgrade in the next 2 years or more. Thanks again for all the input and anything else you guys have to say is more than appreciated.