Sign in with
Your question

Installed Radeon HD 7850, computer does not boot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2012 2:42:42 PM

Hello, everybody. I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Radeon HD 6670 to a Radeon HD 7850. I've been tinkering with the computer since last night to no avail. I'm able to install the card but when I do and attempt to boot the computer, the power goes on but it sounds like its just the case fan or power supply fan, and my monitors don't display anything. Perplexed, I tried putting the old card back in and it worked perfectly again.

I think I've boiled it down to a few potential problems
1) The card was defective.
2) I'm not installing it in correctly. This is a possible problem. The card came with a crossfire bridge and I'm not sure how to use it or if its necessary. I believe it's only used when using multiple cards, which I am not.
3) The power supply isn't powerful enough. The stock power supply which my computer came with is 300W, and the recommended wattage of the new card is 500W. This could be the problem, but what's odd is that the 6670 only consumes marginally less power than the 7850, and yet it works fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss guys, and in deep despair. I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys can give.

Thanks sincerely!
December 29, 2012 3:24:25 PM

monsterzero187 said:
Hello, everybody. I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Radeon HD 6670 to a Radeon HD 7850. I've been tinkering with the computer since last night to no avail. I'm able to install the card but when I do and attempt to boot the computer, the power goes on but it sounds like its just the case fan or power supply fan, and my monitors don't display anything. Perplexed, I tried putting the old card back in and it worked perfectly again.

I think I've boiled it down to a few potential problems
1) The card was defective.
2) I'm not installing it in correctly. This is a possible problem. The card came with a crossfire bridge and I'm not sure how to use it or if its necessary. I believe it's only used when using multiple cards, which I am not.
3) The power supply isn't powerful enough. The stock power supply which my computer came with is 300W, and the recommended wattage of the new card is 500W. This could be the problem, but what's odd is that the 6670 only consumes marginally less power than the 7850, and yet it works fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss guys, and in deep despair. I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys can give.

Thanks sincerely!

Hey there,

I'm not a computer whiz, but I'd take a shot at assuming it's your power supply. I currently have an HD 6850, and I needed to upgrade from a 200W to a 500W just because the 6-pin connector wasn't giving my GPU enough power, and I had serious running issues with it. But now with the new power, everything works awesome.
Another major thought is whether or not your motherboard is capable of running that card in the first place. I don't have your technical computer specifications, but if your PCI-E is a 2.0 generation, it could be why your computer won't work, because the 7850 is a 3.0.

I can't verify everything, but I hope this will give you an idea! Also, for future reference, it's helpful if you leave a bit more info about your computer.
m
l
December 29, 2012 3:53:52 PM

Thanks for the reply

It's definitely something with the card... I replaced the old power supply with one I recently purchased with 620W of power... Still didn't work.

So, I took out the new card and put the old card back in with the new power supply and... surprise, it works

I'm not that computer saavy... so I'm not sure if there's some incompatibility between the card and my pc. I have a hp p6-2133w, does anyone know if the PCI-E slot in this pc won't support the card or something?
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 5:10:26 PM

I am currently running Windows 7 64-bit

I really just don't have any clue what could be going wrong... the card is hooked up properly, the power supply is connected... I'm beginning to think the only option is that I received a defective card. Does anyone have any ideas?
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:34:37 PM

Ok so I tried reinstalling the card and it actually managed to display on the monitor. The only thing is, after installing the Radeon drivers from their website, the computer is behaving abnormally. It takes an extremely long time for the pc to boot up, and when I try to start a game it just crashes and displays an error message such as "Far Cry 3 has encountered a problem and needs to close"
m
l
June 2, 2014 5:20:47 AM

monsterzero187 said:
Ok so I tried reinstalling the card and it actually managed to display on the monitor. The only thing is, after installing the Radeon drivers from their website, the computer is behaving abnormally. It takes an extremely long time for the pc to boot up, and when I try to start a game it just crashes and displays an error message such as "Far Cry 3 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Sorry to dig out this old thread, but do you remember what you did differently during that re-install?
m
l
!