Sign in with
Your question

PC Wont Boot Green Light

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2013 11:18:00 PM

Hey,

So essentially as of right now now I installed a new mobo since my old one fried, everything worked fine initially but the psu randomly cut out which is also what caused the old one to fry, luckily this one is fine but now the PC won't boot and everything is dead (All fans, led's, sounds). The only sign of power is the fact that the green mobo standby light is on.

I have tried unplugging everything including cpu/heatsink (and taking it out of the case), so that only the psu and mobo were connected but the light stays green. I also tried removing items one by one and trying to boot but no luck. Lastly I tried using a spare psu I know works but the light still stays green.

Sidenote- Psu has been making a high frequency noise when power is going to it but the system is off. This is probably a different problem though.

System:

i5 2500k
Asus P8 H61-MX (mobo)
Corsair CX 600 (psu)
G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB (RAM)
1tb & 500gb WD Green,
Msi GTX 560 ti.
Sharkoon T9 (case)

More about : wont boot green light

February 15, 2013 12:18:37 AM

Kryso said:
Hey,

So essentially as of right now now I installed a new mobo since my old one fried, everything worked fine initially but the psu randomly cut out which is also what caused the old one to fry, luckily this one is fine but now the PC won't boot and everything is dead (All fans, led's, sounds). The only sign of power is the fact that the green mobo standby light is on.

I have tried unplugging everything including cpu/heatsink (and taking it out of the case), so that only the psu and mobo were connected but the light stays green. I also tried removing items one by one and trying to boot but no luck. Lastly I tried using a spare psu I know works but the light still stays green.

Sidenote- Psu has been making a high frequency noise when power is going to it but the system is off. This is probably a different problem though.

System:

i5 2500k
Asus P8 H61-MX (mobo)
Corsair CX 600 (psu)
G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB (RAM)
1tb & 500gb WD Green,
Msi GTX 560 ti.
Sharkoon T9 (case)

Sounds like you have more than one problem but maybe not. When you say the psu cut out how do you know that? It could be the same component that is presently causing it not to boot.
February 15, 2013 12:43:42 AM

jnkweaver said:
Sounds like you have more than one problem but maybe not. When you say the psu cut out how do you know that? It could be the same component that is presently causing it not to boot.

The system not booting is the main issue.
I did a bit of research and found that the likely issue of the power cutting out of the PC was the PSU combined with the high frequency noise I'm banking that it is that.

But that doesn't solve the problem with the system not booting since I tried it with a different PSU and the mobo standby light is still green while the system wont turn on.
Related resources
February 15, 2013 12:50:46 AM

Did this new mb ever work? Do you have another system that you can test the CPU or Memory in?

Make sure your CPU is seated right with no pins bent.

Try booting with just one stick of ram

It is always difficult to tell a bad CPU from a bad mb.
February 15, 2013 1:08:56 AM

jnkweaver said:
Did this new mb ever work? Do you have another system that you can test the CPU or Memory in?

Make sure your CPU is seated right with no pins bent.

Try booting with just one stick of ram

It is always difficult to tell a bad CPU from a bad mb.

Done the Ram test.
Cpu is fine, I even tested it with the cpu out.

Board is new, worked fine first time it booted but about 2 hours in the power cut out and since then the green light has appeared and the system wont power up.
February 15, 2013 1:15:13 AM

Kryso said:
Done the Ram test.
Cpu is fine, I even tested it with the cpu out.

Board is new, worked fine first time it booted but about 2 hours in the power cut out and since then the green light has appeared and the system wont power up.

Try this link and follow it. It will cover systematically instead of my single questions

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
February 15, 2013 1:25:40 AM

Kryso said:
Done everything on the list.

When you tested this with your known good power supply what was connected to the computer? What was the wattage of the 2nd psu?
February 15, 2013 1:30:53 AM

jnkweaver said:
When you tested this with your known good power supply what was connected to the computer? What was the wattage of the 2nd psu?

450 watt. I tested it with nothing plugged in, completely bare and out of the case.
February 15, 2013 1:43:57 AM

Kryso said:
450 watt. I tested it with nothing plugged in, completely bare and out of the case.

Well I got to believe that the psu bit the dust and took something else out with it. When you said the CPU was fine did you mean just no bent pins or did you mean you were able to test it in a different system? If the latter I would assume your new mb is toast. Otherwise it is a crapshoot between the mb or cpu.
!