Sign in with
Your question

Could I upgrade my Graphics Card to GeForce 550?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2012 3:03:39 PM

Could I upgrade my GPU to a GeForce 550 the 545 which came with my PC. The only reason I ask is because I'm not sure if the 545 is the DDR3 or DDR5 version. I tried to serch the motherboard name on Google but there's little information.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 31 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 660MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AB5 (CPU 1) 30 °C

Graphics
2250W (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 545

Hard Drives
1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (SATA) 26 °C

Optical Drives
hp BDDVDRW CH28N

Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Regards,
Saint Andrew
December 29, 2012 4:18:45 PM

is this a laptop? IF IT IS... forget about reading what i wrote xD cuz then i dont know

maybe I am confused about something here... or ... what not.. but ... you did no make any sense what so ever... lol

but I think what you are trying to ask is... if the 550 is compatible with your motherboard? vram has nothing to do with being ABLE to use it.

your motherboard;
http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/pegatron-2ab5-motherboa...

Board supports PCI-E 2.0 which means, that you can pretty much upgrade to 3.0PCI-e or 2.1PCI-e video card since the video cards are backwards compatible with older style PCIe slots. IF THE 3.0 video card DOES NOT work with your motherboard, it just means you need to update bios, but it should work without a problem.

CONCLUSION; Your motherboard can support pretty much any video card available right now.

a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 4:19:29 PM

What is the manufacturer and model of your PC? You can use cpuz to find out information about your system and gpuz to find out about your video card.
Related resources
December 29, 2012 5:15:58 PM

gussrtk said:
is this a laptop? IF IT IS... forget about reading what i wrote xD cuz then i dont know

maybe I am confused about something here... or ... what not.. but ... you did no make any sense what so ever... lol

but I think what you are trying to ask is... if the 550 is compatible with your motherboard? vram has nothing to do with being ABLE to use it.

your motherboard;
http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/pegatron-2ab5-motherboa...

Board supports PCI-E 2.0 which means, that you can pretty much upgrade to 3.0PCI-e or 2.1PCI-e video card since the video cards are backwards compatible with older style PCIe slots. IF THE 3.0 video card DOES NOT work with your motherboard, it just means you need to update bios, but it should work without a problem.

CONCLUSION; Your motherboard can support pretty much any video card available right now.

Yes, sorry I was going to edit my post after I saw what I had wrote. I wanted to know if I could change my Graphics Card to a 550. Thanks for your help! :) 
December 29, 2012 5:19:40 PM

zdbc13 said:
What is the manufacturer and model of your PC? You can use cpuz to find out information about your system and gpuz to find out about your video card.

HP
December 29, 2012 6:13:09 PM

if you are going for 550 i would say just go 560 if you are in that kind of price range, it aint too far off.
December 30, 2012 12:31:26 AM

i would recommend not going for a 550 , its performance is lackluster for the price range, using one atm and you can do better.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2012 6:31:44 PM

We need to know what kind of HP you have, too! Some models have power supplies that will not support certain graphics cards. If you could open your case and give us the details on the side of the power supply that would help, too.
!