Sign in with
Your question

Dead CPU? i2500k no beep, no post.

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 12:19:23 AM

Hey there :) 

I need a little help, my problems is beyond my comprehension of understanding, why my computer is doing nothing.

Last week i was watching a movie and all of sudden, my computer powers off, in the middle of everything.
there we're no stress on the computer, at the the time, there was only a browser with Netflix running.
I checked everything and came to the conclusion that my motherboard was the one to blame.(after 6 hours of testing most hardware)

I made a checklist to be sure what was working and what wasn't so:
It would not power up, no fans/hdd spinning, no beep, no post. no nothing... only a green light on the motherboard indicating that power we're running through

hardware list: the system we're built in Jan. 2011
i5 2500k (noctua DH-14) i think its called that
ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 (brand new) old one is called asus p8p67 evo( 1.gen with defect sata II)
16gb 2x8 corsair vengance 1600mhz 1.5v (blue sticks, small heatspreader)
AMD radeon HD6950 2gb
Corsair AX850 PSU
CM HAF X case
1tb hdd
120gb kingston hyperX ssd

(i went through everything on the troubleshooting list posted by this website... i mean it, i did everything punctually)
I tried to hot-wire my PSU and the fans would spin, but i wasn't sure, so i put it in another system and it booted perfectly.
i tried my RAM modules in another computer and there was no problem with the them and the GPU would also work in another computer even in crossfire or as a single card. (my gpu card looks a little burned around the HDMI port, looks like electricity heat or over fusing of static electricity).

The only thing i haven't tried is to test my CPU.
I made a RMA case on the motherboard last week, and i picked up a new motherboard today(they confirmed that the old motherboard had died, totally dead, nothing was working even for them.) so i just installed this new motherboard today and now i get fans and hdd spin, but i do not get post, beep or anything else. to me this sounds like there is no computation done, therefore there is no bios, beep or screen?

so it occurred to me, that the old motherboard may have fried the CPU and taking the CPU with it to the graveyard, or that the motherboard is set up for ivy bridge cpu and not sandybridge(it is compatible), but this would still give a beep or a slight hint of the problem right?

i've been scratching my head over this, for half a day now, because the old motherboard we're dead, and i didn't even think, it also could be that, my CPU had got some damage done to it aswell (i'm still not sure).

I've been using my computer mainly for gaming, video editing and 3d rendering.
I must say that my cpu have been on quite a test for the past few months, with some tough 3d scenes, taking weeks to render and it was never shut off during this time, and i checked all temps and there were around 40 degree celsius during full load all the time. This could have been the problem?

I'm asking for some serious guidance, because i'm not sure whether is the CPU or maybe even another hardware component i've overlooked(or wrong assembling for that matter) and i do not want to send a wrong component to RMA, just to wait another week or even months

At the moment i can't work on my short-film, since i do not have a computer and it sucks BIG TIME.

i hope someone can help me with my problems here, or confirm that it is indeed the CPU, that needs a new replacement, im willing to try every suggestions that would be made here :) 

thanks in advance :) 

Sorry the bad English and punctuation's, it is not my mother-language :) 
February 15, 2013 1:16:24 AM

deanboie said:
Hey there :) 

I need a little help, my problems is beyond my comprehension of understanding, why my computer is doing nothing.

Last week i was watching a movie and all of sudden, my computer powers off, in the middle of everything.
there we're no stress on the computer, at the the time, there was only a browser with Netflix running.
I checked everything and came to the conclusion that my motherboard was the one to blame.(after 6 hours of testing most hardware)

I made a checklist to be sure what was working and what wasn't so:
It would not power up, no fans/hdd spinning, no beep, no post. no nothing... only a green light on the motherboard indicating that power we're running through

hardware list: the system we're built in Jan. 2011
i5 2500k (noctua DH-14) i think its called that
ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 (brand new) old one is called asus p8p67 evo( 1.gen with defect sata II)
16gb 2x8 corsair vengance 1600mhz 1.5v (blue sticks, small heatspreader)
AMD radeon HD6950 2gb
Corsair AX850 PSU
CM HAF X case
1tb hdd
120gb kingston hyperX ssd

(i went through everything on the troubleshooting list posted by this website... i mean it, i did everything punctually)
I tried to hot-wire my PSU and the fans would spin, but i wasn't sure, so i put it in another system and it booted perfectly.
i tried my RAM modules in another computer and there was no problem with the them and the GPU would also work in another computer even in crossfire or as a single card. (my gpu card looks a little burned around the HDMI port, looks like electricity heat or over fusing of static electricity).

The only thing i haven't tried is to test my CPU.
I made a RMA case on the motherboard last week, and i picked up a new motherboard today(they confirmed that the old motherboard had died, totally dead, nothing was working even for them.) so i just installed this new motherboard today and now i get fans and hdd spin, but i do not get post, beep or anything else. to me this sounds like there is no computation done, therefore there is no bios, beep or screen?

so it occurred to me, that the old motherboard may have fried the CPU and taking the CPU with it to the graveyard, or that the motherboard is set up for ivy bridge cpu and not sandybridge(it is compatible), but this would still give a beep or a slight hint of the problem right?

i've been scratching my head over this, for half a day now, because the old motherboard we're dead, and i didn't even think, it also could be that, my CPU had got some damage done to it aswell (i'm still not sure).

I've been using my computer mainly for gaming, video editing and 3d rendering.
I must say that my cpu have been on quite a test for the past few months, with some tough 3d scenes, taking weeks to render and it was never shut off during this time, and i checked all temps and there were around 40 degree celsius during full load all the time. This could have been the problem?

I'm asking for some serious guidance, because i'm not sure whether is the CPU or maybe even another hardware component i've overlooked(or wrong assembling for that matter) and i do not want to send a wrong component to RMA, just to wait another week or even months

At the moment i can't work on my short-film, since i do not have a computer and it sucks BIG TIME.

i hope someone can help me with my problems here, or confirm that it is indeed the CPU, that needs a new replacement, im willing to try every suggestions that would be made here :) 

thanks in advance :) 

Sorry the bad English and punctuation's, it is not my mother-language :) 

Sounds like either a bad cpu or a bad psu.
February 15, 2013 10:48:17 AM

i think its the cpu now, it did also smell abit burned after i used the new motherboard and it was burning hot in seconds
!