Your question

Help on my first ever gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 1:06:16 AM

Budget Range: £1200-£1500

System Usage: Gaming and a little bit of editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scan.co.uk Amazon

I am looking to build my first ever gaming pc and looking for a little advice. Hoping to end up with a very good gaming pc, will start of running from just one monitor and working upto 2 or 3 monitors.

CPU: Struggling to pick between as will be adding to this pc as more funds become available.
Intel I7-3770k
Or
Intel I5-3570k

CPU Cooler: Phanteks blue CPU cooler

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600MHz

Storage 1: Would like this to be a SSD drive but unsure on which to choose would like about 250GB for operating system and maybe couple of games.

Storage 2: Will be one or two 2TB. Caviar Black or Seagate Barracuda or even a Caviar green unless this would just be a waste of time.

Case: Not sure on this for the time being but believe i would be better off with a full tower but will decide later.

Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Power Supply

Graphics Card: This is where I am having most problems deciding as I've heard the Nvidia 700 Series might be out March/April so not sure if to pick a low end £175-£225 graphics card to see me through or get a 670 or 680 and when funds maybe SLI these eventually.

If decide to pick 670 or 680 unsure still which to pick

GTX670

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature II 2GB
Zotac GTX 670 2GB
Asus GTX 670 2GB
EVGA GTX 670 FTW + 4GB

So many to pick from got so confused. Was thinking of the EVGA FTW 4gb and then SLI these when have the funds to buy second card.

GTX680

EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB
Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 2GB

Not really looked into these as people have said might as well stick with 670 due to being 90% or the performance of 680 at only like 70% of the price or something along those lines i believe. Again same would eventually like to SLI these if I pick a GTX680.

Would like to no if this build is going in the right direction and the improvements and opinion on which to pick of people in the know. Won't touch water cooling as don't trust myself in installing it an might overclock cpu after I get some confidence.

Which is better to pick from EVGA, Zotac, Gigabyte when picking Nvidia cards?
Not sure if Radeon would be a better graphics card choice?
Should I save up for a GTX690 instead of SLI 670 / 680?

I am really unsure if I'm doing something right with this build but hoping someone is willing to give me some insight and helpful advice in area's I can improve and if it will be worth waiting for the next generation of graphics cards.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice recieved.

Luke.

More about : gaming

a b 4 Gaming
February 15, 2013 1:21:06 AM

I think you would really enjoy AMD EYEINFINITY. O_O

Do you know what that is?

IF you want to wait for next generation graphics cards. It's going to be released on 2014 Q1. So you have to wait for 1 year before you buy one
a b 4 Gaming
February 15, 2013 2:31:40 AM

Here's my feedback for what it's worth.
The i7 will help a little in editing, likely not much in gaming (unless there is a major advance in physics engine programming for games) for the next year or two anyway. Your call on the processor depending on your editing habits/needs.
Memory, if looking to add memory in the future and running windows 7 (8 doesn't have this restriction), you'll need Win 7 Porfessional or Win 7 Ultimate to run more than 16GB of ram.
SSD, I would say 250GB is a good size - I went 180GB and after a little more than a year with updates and minimal programs added, I'm starting to get a little low (40GB free) on SSD space.
I'm a fan of 500GB - 1 TB HDD's for storage only because of the time it takes to backup and defrag larger drives. Not to mention that it is far less painful to lose 500GB of data if a drive completely fails than the loss of 2+TB of data. Drives aren't that expensive that they can't be added later.
It is reported that you can clock the 670 past stock 680 clocks so I would think the value would be with the 670, which can also go SLI later
As I said, for what it's worth
Related resources
February 15, 2013 2:53:11 AM

3770k is quite a bit faster in editing. The 3570k is very fast too though and you could save some money. I have a 3770k because I use several pro apps that take advantage of it. I also use the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and highly recommend it. It reads and writes over 500MB/s. The 670gtx is a better value. I would go with the best one you can afford.
February 15, 2013 2:37:44 PM

Thank you for the advice guys.
Haven't really looked into AMD EyeInfinity so not sure on this.
I will look at getting the Samsung 840 pro SSD on your recommendation.

So with the CPU, I am unsure how extensive my editing will become in future but if I don't believe they will become to much so stick to the I5-3570k?

Is Intel Xeon 1230 V2 3.3GHz A good CPU as it seem the price fits nicely between the I7 and I5 stated above but not really looked into Xeon?

As far as graphics cards go I might get a GTX670 but for the model I have no idea which is the better one to pick from EVGA, Asus etc?
In future I will like to be running multiple screens would it be best to get the GTX670 FTW 4GB and then when adding more screen SLI another one or just get two of the 2GB version?

Again thanks in advance for advice

Luke
!