Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 - not working!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2012 5:47:01 PM

I purchased a new gigabyte radeon hd 7950 (GV-R795WF3-3GD) yesterday and I thought I would be happy about it considering the positive reviews I have seen online. Just the opposite.
I put the card into my Pcie 3.0 slot and powered it up with the two pcie 6 pin connectors from my PSU, and have been dissapointed since.
It booted up with those fuzzy colors that really old computers have (16 bit?). I thought that was probably because the drivers were not installed automatically.
I followed the general steps I normally do when installing a graphics card: go online and find the latest driver for the card. In this case, I went to AMD website and used the auto detect function to download and install the drivers and catalyst controller. After the download and installing, I restarted my computer as it asked me to and ....it's gone.
After the windows 7 animation, it does not proceed to the login screen, all I saw once or twice were random lines through the screen and flickering.
I went into safe mode and uninstalled the driver and catalyst controller and I was back to the lowest resolution 16 bit coloured graphics. I tried installing drivers from the gigabyte website and that gave the same result. I even reinstalled windows to see if it was conflicting with other drivers, but nope, same result.
To go back to my intergrated graphics that shows stuff properly, I had to go into BIOS and change my graphics output from PEG to IED so I could atleast login and try to fix it a few times.
I have yet to actually use the card properly. If any help could be provided, I would really appreciate it!
Motherboard: MSI Z77 G43
Processor: i7 3770k stock speed
PSU: Thermaltale 700W

I really need some help quickly because I didn't go on extended waranty and I only have 7 days to return it in case its a bad card.

Thanks,
Iman
December 29, 2012 6:19:00 PM

Ive had AMD graphic cards. Usually they just work out of the box, but if I remember correctly that once when I installed my 5770 I had to plug the monitor into the "right" DVI. Else it seemed to think that my only monitor was the second monitor and did not show the login screen (although windows was running). So if your graphic card has two DVI did you try both? Cant think of anything else that could be bothering you. Your PSU should be efficient enough. Do you have the latest MSI Z77 G43 bios?.. maby that would help?
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:50:51 PM

I updated my mb BIOS using mflash like 15 minutes ago to check if that might be the problem. I am using HDMI because the card didn't come with a DVI cable and my monitor only has VGA and HDMI for some reason. Also, there is only one DVI port on the card..
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 6:54:43 PM

That could be the problem, DVI usually is port nr1 and hdmi nr2. Did it come with VGA to DVI connector that you could connect to the DVI port and to your VGA on your monitor?
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:56:13 PM

Nope. Anyway I could switch the hdmi to output first?
m
l
December 29, 2012 7:01:39 PM

Yes you can, but only after you have installed the CCC and booted up :(  .. maby somone knows more than I on that. There is one other thing you could try. Just if it's the problem with the display thinking that this is not the main monitor. You could just wait for windows login screen, and login to windows (blindly).When you are logged into windows you can take out the monitor cable and plug it back in. That should force the windows switch to the newly plugged in monitor. This is all guessing that the problem is what I thank it is. If it is something else, then im stumped :( 
m
l
December 29, 2012 7:08:12 PM

Tried that. Still shows nothing..
m
l
!