Should I leave my computer on or not

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi everyone,

I know this is a common question but I still can't figure out whether or not it's better to leave my computer on or not. I know that if you constantly reboot it, components will wear faster... at least they did back in the old days when it was a major problem. I still kind of feel that it's a problem but I don't know if it's better or not to turn my computer off every night. This is the year 2013 and I'm still being indecisive about this. I don't care about the electricity bill but even if I did take the electricity bill into consideration, wouldn't the computer only consume a couple dollars if I left it on for a whole week?

So if anyone could chip in some ideas that would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I think this is still a mixed ball park on what people think.

Some people think that the surge of electricity and start up of components cause more wear and some people think that leaving the computer on 24/7 causes more wear to the components.

I personally turn my computer off each time. I have always ended up buying a new computer before components have degraded to their end of life.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I go with sleep or hibernate. But that is just because I hate dust in my PC's. I like the clear windows on the cases, but dust is so ugly. So if the fans are not spinning if I am not using it, no dust gets in.