New built - framerate drops

firewireflow

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I recently switched from a mac to PC. great right? :)

here are the specs:

ASUS Z8PE-D12X Dual S1366 V2GLR Mainboard
2x Intel Xeon E5645/2.40GHz, 12MB, 80W
2x CPU Cooling Intel TX100C, 2U active
6x Kingston VR 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W
ASUS GTX680-DC2 4GD5 4096MB GDDR5
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB
WD Red 1TB, SATA 6GB MLC
Dell U2711 Monitor
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

This rig is meant for 3D Animation/Motion Design work and basically everything works great but I experience some weird stuff when having the occasional gaming time. - I hope this is the right section of the forum.

I get weird Framerate Drops in pretty much all games I play, even the older ones. I run around and get weird stutters. The framerate drops beneath 10 for a very short time and then goes up to 60 again. This happens every 3-4 seconds in a random interval. The weird thing is that sometimes it doesn't do it at all and I get a smooth gaming experience and sometimes its really bad making it unbearable.

Its especially bad in The Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 altough I experience it in Dragon Age Origins as well. I also want to add that I get this framerate drops on very low game settings!!! This results in the game stuttering on a frequent basis.

I dug through forums for the individual games and tried pretty all the fixes and troubleshoots but nothing seemed to help. (latest drivers, reinstall drivers without 3D Vision, lower the settings, play in window mode, fiddling in the nvidia control panel)

For the Record: The GPU load never goes above 40% and the CPU runs at about 5-6% when gaming. Everything is up to date: drivers, chipset drivers, windows updates, dirctx9, directx11.

Might there be something wrong with the system itself? Any help in this matter is very much appreciated!

A friend of mine told me that he'd never go with 730W power supply for a dual CPU system and recommended at least 1000W. Might that be true?

A friend of mine told me that he'd never go with 730W power supply for a dual CPU system and recommended at least 1000W. Might that be true?
exactly, power problem

at normal use/idle it is okay

if you play games, 680 will suck so much power. if your psu cant supply its need, the system will throttle down. thats why you experienced framerate drop

it is not necessarily get 1000W, but 800++ high quality one should be enough. i havent heard a review of be quite psu.
to be safe, get corsair AX850 or higher from corsair/seasonic :)