Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rant about FarCry3 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:32:48 PM

OK guys deep breath.....

I'M FRIKKIN LIVID AGAIN ABOUT SHITE PORTS FROM CONSOLES!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I run an HD5970 Black and can't get more than 30fps on FC3. I put settings to low I get 30 and if i put settings to ultra I still get 30. WTF :fou: 

Does anyone know how to get around this with a 5970? OK this card is now 3 years old but it's still a very powerful card and I can run ANY of my other games Maxed at 1080P 4xaa. incl Warhead at 60fps maxed. I'm furious I've paid full price for a game that will only honour half my PC's performance. I have downloaded the beta 12.11 with the latest CAP but nothing has changed. I even had to take my XFi sound card out and install my on-board sound is I couldn't hear speech in the game. Sorry but from a developer like Ubisoft I expected better. just look at Anno 2070 to see what these guys can do, which indecently I play a lot as well.
A very frustrated HD5970 user. :fou: 

Just for the record here are my specs.
Core i7 920 OC @ 3.6Ghz
8Gb OCZ Reaper DDR3
1000W Corsair PSU
XFX HD5970 Black Edition

More about : rant farcry3 fps

a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:36:56 PM

I had that card and CPU. Awesome CPU. Card sucked though - did you play Dead Space 2 on it? By the way, what config is your RAM in? 2x 4GB? You've got triple channel memory architecture there - you're better off taking full advantage of it with three sticks for 25.6GB/s bandwidth.
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:39:02 PM

I don't think FC3 takes Crossfire/SLI very well.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:45:31 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I had that card and CPU. Awesome CPU. Card sucked though - did you play Dead Space 2 on it? By the way, what config is your RAM in? 2x 4GB? You've got triple channel memory architecture there - you're better off taking full advantage of it with three sticks for 25.6GB/s bandwidth.

Good point however i've got 4x 2Gb modules, will this still give my DDR3 performance?
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:46:44 PM

in addition, what do you mean the card sucked though????
I love this card and i've never had any problems with it until now..... Confused!
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 6:49:38 PM

if you still want cartoon looking games then go ahead and continue complaining but if not the update your old gen parts. graphics are being push further ahead and you have no proof that its a bad port pure speculation.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:16:35 PM

cbrunnem said:
if you still want cartoon looking games then go ahead and continue complaining but if not the update your old gen parts. graphics are being push further ahead and you have no proof that its a bad port pure speculation.

Sorry man but my PC is still a VERY capable PC and with this horsepower under the bonnet i've got FC3 should run better. As evidence that this is not ported properly then why do I get 30fps on low and still 30fps on high when all my other games work really well. Just for the recored the 5970 is still as powerful as a GTX670. Don't talk to me about old tech!
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:17:34 PM

Also since when has DDR3 memory, Core i7 and HD5970 been old parts????? Explain please......
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:20:04 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Sorry man but my PC is still a VERY capable PC and with this horsepower under the bonnet i've got FC3 should run better. As evidence that this is not ported properly then why do I get 30fps on low and still 30fps on high when all my other games work really well. Just for the recored the 5970 is still as powerful as a GTX670. Don't talk to me about old tech!

that is a very good sign of a cpu bottleneck. when you go from high to low settings and gain nothing typically its cause your cpu isnt strong enough.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan...
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:20:55 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Also since when has DDR3 memory, Core i7 and HD5970 been old parts????? Explain please......

Since they were superseded by newer parts? :whistle: 
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:22:05 PM

Both i7 920 and HD5970 are 2 generation old. It still great, but not the latest.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:23:44 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Since they were superseded by newer parts? :whistle: 

Oh come on!
My sons Xbox has 6 or 7 year old tech and it runs better than my PC. The PC will always need updating but I think my specs are considerable compared to an XBOX 360. Don't unsult me please.....
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:26:31 PM

cbrunnem said:
that is a very good sign of a cpu bottleneck. when you go from high to low settings and gain nothing typically its cause your cpu isnt strong enough.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan...

In theory yes, but having done my MSi afterburner my GPU's hang out at 80% but my CPU only reaches 50% this would contradict your idea. Thank you for a sensible solution though ;) 
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:32:31 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Oh come on!
My sons Xbox has 6 or 7 year old tech and it runs better than my PC. The PC will always need updating but I think my specs are considerable compared to an XBOX 360. Don't unsult me please.....

:heink: 

FC3 should be optimised more the PC than the console but that doesn't mean that it is simply because the consoles don't change but the PC's do, except yours of course. :whistle:  :ange: 
December 29, 2012 7:40:07 PM

I get almost constant 60FPS in far cry3 with my gtx 670.Ultra setting.Msaa is off.AO is HBOA.

You need to turn of MSAA to get good performance.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:42:42 PM

Mousemonkey you are very delusional. Sorry but that is what I feel.
Did you not read the posts above? If I had said I only get 30fps on maxed I could agree, but you are missing the point! I only get 30fps on low as well. NO MY CPU IS NOT BOTTLENECKING MY GPU
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:44:38 PM

cooldudesubho said:
I get almost constant 60FPS in far cry3 with my gtx 670.Ultra setting.Msaa is off.AO is HBOA.

Thanks, but yes i've done that. :) 
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:50:46 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Mousemonkey you are very delusional. Sorry but that is what I feel.
Did you not read the posts above? If I had said I only get 30fps on maxed I could agree, but you are missing the point! I only get 30fps on low as well. NO MY CPU IS NOT BOTTLENECKING MY GPU

How am I delusional? Answer carefully as your account may depend it.
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:53:21 PM

Mousemonkey said:
How am I delusional? Answer carefully as your account may depend it.

Cause cars are cooler than motorcycles/mopeds? ;) 
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 7:55:02 PM

amuffin said:
Cause cars are cooler than motorcycles/mopeds? ;) 

No f'ing chance meat sack! :fou: 
December 29, 2012 7:57:31 PM

Did you set vsync to 2?2 caps ur framerate to 30 while 1 caps it to 60.This is far cry3 ingame setting.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:01:59 PM

OK i'll end this discussion because you are Wielding a big stick.

However for the greater good of the forum try not to win a battle against Mousemonkey because he can't be seen to lose an argument. Sorry mate but i'm not here to cause trouble i'm here to find solutions but frankly your post has not been at all helpful. Lets hope we can move forward sensibly.....
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:03:14 PM

cooldudesubho said:
Did you set vsync to 2?2 caps ur framerate to 30 while 1 caps it to 60.This is far cry3 ingame setting.

Yes I did and it game me a slight improvement but i'm still capped at 30fps
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:12:40 PM

Kkkk1 said:
OK i'll end this discussion because you are Wielding a big stick.

However for the greater good of the forum try not to win a battle against Mousemonkey because he can't be seen to lose an argument. Sorry mate but i'm not here to cause trouble i'm here to find solutions but frankly your post has not been at all helpful. Lets hope we can move forward sensibly.....

Calling me delusional does not go down well if one were to consider the amount of games that have been ported over from consoles really badly in the last few years, and yes I do have a big stick that I will whip out when the occasion requires it.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:17:39 PM

Running the DX 9 or DX11 version of the game? My 7750 gets 35-60FPS depending on settings on ultra.

As said, is vsync set?

In your CC panel, is everything on quality or performance?
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:18:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Calling me delusional does not go down well if one were to consider the amount of games that have been ported over from consoles really badly in the last few years, and yes I do have a big stick that I will whip out when the occasion requires it.

fine.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:21:12 PM

The game does still have some issues. A lot of people are having problems with micro-stuttering, glitches etc.

Since you aren't having any problems running other games, I doubt that it's your PC.

You could try running it in DX9 and turning Post FX off (or low).
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:25:45 PM

gamingboy said:
The game does still have some issues. A lot of people are having problems with micro-stuttering, glitches etc.

Since you aren't having any problems running other games, I doubt that it's your PC.

You could try running it in DX9 and turning Post FX off (or low).

Thank you for your sensible post, however I have tried what you said but in DX9 mode it runs even worse. Just for the record I have installed the latest Direct X from the disc that came with FC3. Thanks anyway. :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:28:24 PM

Drivers?
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:32:20 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Thank you for your sensible post, however I have tried what you said but in DX9 mode it runs even worse. Just for the record I have installed the latest Direct X from the disc that came with FC3. Thanks anyway. :) 

Alright. One more thing you could try is running it in windowed mode (or fullscreen, if you are already in windowed).
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:35:33 PM

No, I'm running in full screen, if i change to windowed mode my frames drop slightly
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:36:13 PM

Kkkk1 said:

So posts that praise your kit = good, posts that point out the age of your kit = bad. I think I can see where this thread is heading.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:37:04 PM

Kkkk1 said:
No, I'm running in full screen, if i change to windowed mode my frames drop slightly

Oh, I forgot to mention borderless. Try that too.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:37:13 PM

I just got this game with the MSI 7770 I got for Christmas. Haven't tried it on Ultra yet (just the default settings), but I would think the OP's computer would run the game better than mine.

My computer:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 OC'd to 3.1 GHz
8 GB DDR2 (4 2 GB sticks) @ 1066 MHz
MSI Radeon HD 7770 @ stock OC (1020 core, 1125 memory)

Just as a guess, since I don't have any FPS measurement software installed, I get more than 30 FPS on my computer.

Like others in this thread, I'd lean toward a CF problem. On dual-GPU cards, is it possible to use only one chip (disable CF)?

Casey
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:43:11 PM

cooldudesubho said:

I am going to try this and see because with one 670 in my testing i only get 40fps avg.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:49:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So posts that praise your kit = good, posts that point out the age of your kit = bad. I think I can see where this thread is heading.

Mousemoney please don't try and lure me into getting fired off this site. My reasons are that my mate with an Q9550 cpu and GTX 480 and 4Gb DR2 RAM is getting 15fps fps better than I with FarCry3, when ALL my other games KILLS his in fps. I thought we'd let this go but you keep on coming back.....
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:52:20 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Mousemoney please don't try and lure me into getting fired off this site. My reasons are that my mate with an Q9550 cpu and GTX 480 and 4Gb DR2 RAM is getting 15fps fps better than I with FarCry3, when ALL my other games KILLS his in fps. I thought we'd let this go but you keep on coming back.....

Maybe FC3 favours Nvidia more than AMD? Did you consider that?
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:52:55 PM

Because crossfire isn't handled very well in FC3. Try playing the game with it disabled and see what happens.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:56:23 PM

Kkkk1 said:

a post that agrees with you is sensible?

ok enough bashing. here is why i believe your cpu is holding you back: in an ideal world both the cpu and gpu would have the same usage and ideally at 100% but most of the time the gpu is the limiting factor and that cant be helped most of the time. so most of the time you will have a gpu usage of 95-100%, thats normal but when your gpu becomes faster then the cpu in some games you will get less then 95-100% usage. this is because the cpu is not fast enough to feed the gpu resulting in a below 95% usage. what you have to realize is just because you have an i7 does not mean a game will use all threads. you could have 25% cpu usage and the cpu be bottlenecking you IF the game you are playing only utilizes 2 cores.

if you want to put this to rest do this:
- lower the clock speed of your cpu to 3.0 or less. you can do it in increments

if you get ever decreasing fps its your cpu holding you back. overclock more.

also going from high to low setting and not gaining fps is a sign of a cpu bottleneck because when you go to low thats less the gpu has to do since the graphics are less detailed so you should gain fps if your cpu can keep up the the gpu. since you dont gain fps it makes us believe your cpu isnt keeping up.

just because its an i7 doesnt make it good. a new i7 3770k is up to twice as fast in some applications. im sorry but technology moves forward very fast. you still have a very good computer yes i would agree but some games and applications are going to make its weaknesses show.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 8:59:00 PM

Yes i've considered that, but if it's true then it would add weight to may original point that it's a crap console port and not my lack of PC hardware that is the problem.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 9:03:40 PM

Oh my God! The whole point I was trying to make. If on your post My hardware was too old WHY is this GTX480 much better on the FPS??? I've proved my point. An yes sorry Mousemonkey we can all be wrong at some point???? ;) 
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 9:05:15 PM

cbrunnem said:
a post that agrees with you is sensible?

ok enough bashing. here is why i believe your cpu is holding you back: in an ideal world both the cpu and gpu would have the same usage and ideally at 100% but most of the time the gpu is the limiting factor and that cant be helped most of the time. so most of the time you will have a gpu usage of 95-100%, thats normal but when your gpu becomes faster then the cpu in some games you will get less then 95-100% usage. this is because the cpu is not fast enough to feed the gpu resulting in a below 95% usage. what you have to realize is just because you have an i7 does not mean a game will use all threads. you could have 25% cpu usage and the cpu be bottlenecking you IF the game you are playing only utilizes 2 cores.

if you get ever decreasing fps its your cpu holding you back. overclock more.

also going from high to low setting and not gaining fps is a sign of a cpu bottleneck because when you go to low thats less the gpu has to do since the graphics are less detailed so you should gain fps if your cpu can keep up the the gpu. since you dont gain fps it makes us believe your cpu isnt keeping up.

just because its an i7 doesnt make it good. a new i7 3770k is up to twice as fast in some applications. im sorry but technology moves forward very fast. you still have a very good computer yes i would agree but some games and applications are going to make its weaknesses show.

I have a i5 750 and 2 Radeon 6870's in CF and even I get around 40-50 FPS in Ultra.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 9:12:16 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No f'ing chance meat sack! :fou: 

Haha was that an HK quote from Knights of the Old Republic? :-) OP, sorry about delay responding... this thread got busy! Yeah 4x 2GB will do absolutely fine. And I'm certain it's not CPU-bottlenecked - i7 920 is only a fraction behind the 950, which is on par with an i5 2500 (modern). Intel have yet to make any significant improvements in gaming performance over Nehalem. The v-sync suggestion could definitely have some merit.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 9:14:43 PM

I've fiddled with settings, done research on google and have been in the IT industry for over 10 years. I'm a senior tech for over 6 years. The evidence remains from this forum post it's a crap console port. We need to understand this and move forward.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 9:16:24 PM

cbrunnem said:

The 920 is already below 3GHz - it's 2.66GHz stock. It's really not gonna be bottlenecking the card:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-ben...

A Sandy Bridge i3 is not faster than a Nehalem i7.

As for the disabling Crossfire solution, I used to have a 5970 and the second GPU did cause major issues in some games. Unfortunately, I was never able to disable one GPU - don't think it's an option.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 29, 2012 9:18:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Haha was that an HK quote from Knights of the Old Republic?

Nah, I've just been watching too much Futurama. :lol: 
!