Status
Not open for further replies.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Well it looks like my Samsung Syncmaster T220 is dying. The monitor flashes on and off constantly (I already had problems with the monitor not waking up from sleep mode). I have tried connecting it with both DVI and VGA to different machines but the problem persists.

I really like the T220 it was my first screen and lasted me about 4 years. Since the warranty is up I think I have to looks at other options.

Basically I'd like a monitor for movies and some gaming (Battlefield etc...) be at least 22" like the last one but bigger would be fine too e.g. 23, 24 , 27, etc... Additionally, it would be great if it has the option to be either mounted on the wall and / or on a swivel mount.

My current graphics card, Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770 supports 2 X DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 Display Port.

I appreciate your assistance and thanks in advance :)

Solution
Do you know about the benefits of IPS panel TFTs over TN? If I was gonna give just a single piece of advice it would be to grab an IPS panel display. Until big AMOLED screens become affordable, IPS is as good as it gets. Specifically I'd recommend the Dell U2312 or U2412. If you're dubious about Dell monitors being quality, I was too. Looks like things have changed in the past few years though - Dell have some of the absolute best displays until you get into Lacie / Eizo stuff where you're paying a grand for a 24"er.
Do you know about the benefits of IPS panel TFTs over TN? If I was gonna give just a single piece of advice it would be to grab an IPS panel display. Until big AMOLED screens become affordable, IPS is as good as it gets. Specifically I'd recommend the Dell U2312 or U2412. If you're dubious about Dell monitors being quality, I was too. Looks like things have changed in the past few years though - Dell have some of the absolute best displays until you get into Lacie / Eizo stuff where you're paying a grand for a 24"er.

Solution

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thanks Sam,

I will certainly check out the Dell u2312 and u2412. I just want to confirm that IPS and these particular screens will a) work with my gpu and b) be good for gaming & movies etc... C) can they be mounted on a wall or swivel arm?

Also what is the difference between the u2312 and say dells s2330? Aside from the response time on the latter being 2ms vs the formers 8ms and the latter not being IPS?

Thanks for the recommendations :)

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I have really looked into C and I think that they are both Vesa mount compatible. I also looked at some of the LG screens but meh... I think I am going to go on the Dell now I have to decide which one 23"(2312) or 24" (2412)? I heard the 24" has a 16:10 aspect ratio

So I'm not sure which one also is there a noticeable difference from 23 to 24?

Thanks once again :)

No worries :) I'm on a 23"er and I doubt I'd notice much difference moving up to a 24"er. I personally prefer 16:9 so that HD TV fills the screen without letterboxing, but I don't think it's a big deal either way, just personal preference. I'd probably take the 24"er if there was a good deal on it (so not too much more cost than the 23"er).

Status
Not open for further replies.