Using a GTX 680 with 560Ti for dedicated PhysX

Godamit

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I recently upgraded to a GTX680 from a 560Ti. However, as per the title I've been considering re-connecting my 560Ti to be used as a dedicated PhysX card. I was wondering if this would be possible/worth my time.

I currently have a Corsair 650W PSU, with a 2500K OC'ed to 4.2GHz and 8GB RAM at 1600MHz. I can give more details about my system if necessary.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's possible. Just keep in mind there are more energy-efficient cards out there - you're gonna be drawing a fair bit of power with that pair. If you could sell it and buy a basic GeForce cheap, that might save you money in the long run. As far as I know, there's no benefit to using a fairly powerful card like a GTX560 Ti over a weak one when it's just being used for PhysX. I'd be very interested if somebody knows something to the contrary though.

Godamit

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hmm, considering these replies I may have to test it and see how it works out for me. Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Just gonna wait to see if I can get any more opinions on this.

I just talked to my friend on phone he said It does hinder performance if the card you're using for physx is too slow to keep up with the main GPU. If you have something decent like a GTS450, then you'll gain some performance.

That said, I tried a 670 + 560ti setup before I gave the 560ti to a friend and it really wasn't worth it to have a dedicated PhysX card. The only games that I own which have PhysX are Batman AS and AC, Metro 2033,borderlands 2, and Mirror's Edge. I think those and Mafia 2 are pretty much the only recent titles that use it anyway. Having a card that did nothing 99% of the time, restricted airflow to the top card, and ate up PCIE lanes was rather pointless.But if you play those games a lot it's worth it.

Godamit

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
That is also another concern, right now air flow for my GPU is very good. I wouldn't want to risk that considering what little difference, if any, a dedicated card would make.
At this stage I'd say it's probably best to just stick to a solo 680. Thanks for the comments.

I agree whole heartily with Big there are very few games that you can't get max physx with and have good frames with with a card like a 670 or 680. I had an issue with Batman Arkham Asylum in one of the scarecrow levels where it lagged at the end. However Arkham City no such issue. In my opinion you could sell off the 560Ti or hold onto the card when there is a physx game in the future where your card no longer has the horses to keep up with the extra eye candy.

Borderlands 2, Arkham City/Asylum, Metro 2033 and Bulletstorm are the recent major titles with it.

And the booze and strippers are mine. However you may have one each. For Christmas spirit.

Metro 2033 and Asylum are recent titles? Come on, I meant MOH Warfighter, COD BO2, Far Cry3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, AC III, Dishonored, Mass Effect 3, Ghost Recon,......

They're recent enough? I didn't realise 'recent' is just 2012 games :p Graphically, there's not been a great deal of progress since the original Crysis, so I'd absolutely consider anything from 2010-2011 to still be a recent game. Obviously comes down to what you consider recent.

So, it turns out to be just 2 or 3 out of 20 "recent" games that supports Physx.

The question is, do you even notice the Physx effect in Metro 2033 or Arkham City, as experts reported that it's very hard to notice the effect in metro 2033 as the game depends mainly on the darkness, specific locations in AC too, talking about Physx nowadays is useless, I'm expecting the technique to be shut down soon, who cares anyway?

OH you guys are to much there are more games then those 4. And with Ily I agree with where he is going with what he just said up ^ here. In Metro I bought it with the humble bundle swear to god I turned on the Physx to advanced not once did I notice the game using it. The game is really dark so its possible that had something to do with it. Also Arkham City you can tell all over the damn place with physx explosions, carpet being manipulated, you have tearing of cloth. You notice more in Asylum love rocksteady batman games <3. Borderlands 2 you notice it all over the place as well. IT won't drop off I think its a nice added element where there is a engine that offloads physx on graphic cards however games are using Physx like things in them that aren't highly taxing on the card.

full list of games

http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=pc

You do not want to miss out on this do you bud? :lol: [flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/thCWFXVCH3A?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash][/quotemsg]
[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/kAfzjTAhpBk?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash][/quotemsg]