Sign in with
Your question

Using a GTX 680 with 560Ti for dedicated PhysX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2012 9:24:05 PM

I recently upgraded to a GTX680 from a 560Ti. However, as per the title I've been considering re-connecting my 560Ti to be used as a dedicated PhysX card. I was wondering if this would be possible/worth my time.

I currently have a Corsair 650W PSU, with a 2500K OC'ed to 4.2GHz and 8GB RAM at 1600MHz. I can give more details about my system if necessary.
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 9:54:02 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's possible. Just keep in mind there are more energy-efficient cards out there - you're gonna be drawing a fair bit of power with that pair. If you could sell it and buy a basic GeForce cheap, that might save you money in the long run. As far as I know, there's no benefit to using a fairly powerful card like a GTX560 Ti over a weak one when it's just being used for PhysX. I'd be very interested if somebody knows something to the contrary though.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 10:15:41 PM

Well i have a friend using a 670 with a 560 ti as dedicated PhysX card and it does not get worse performance it actually better.There aren't many games that support physx and the 670 or 680 are both pretty powerful cards.

m
l
December 29, 2012 10:17:38 PM

Hmm, considering these replies I may have to test it and see how it works out for me. Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Just gonna wait to see if I can get any more opinions on this.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 10:27:09 PM

I just talked to my friend on phone he said It does hinder performance if the card you're using for physx is too slow to keep up with the main GPU. If you have something decent like a GTS450, then you'll gain some performance.

That said, I tried a 670 + 560ti setup before I gave the 560ti to a friend and it really wasn't worth it to have a dedicated PhysX card. The only games that I own which have PhysX are Batman AS and AC, Metro 2033,borderlands 2, and Mirror's Edge. I think those and Mafia 2 are pretty much the only recent titles that use it anyway. Having a card that did nothing 99% of the time, restricted airflow to the top card, and ate up PCIE lanes was rather pointless.But if you play those games a lot it's worth it.
m
l
December 29, 2012 10:33:04 PM

That is also another concern, right now air flow for my GPU is very good. I wouldn't want to risk that considering what little difference, if any, a dedicated card would make.
At this stage I'd say it's probably best to just stick to a solo 680. Thanks for the comments.
m
l
December 29, 2012 10:46:50 PM

adarzannh said:
You may actually get worse performance with a 560ti for physx than without. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M See if this helps.

...Did you wach the video? There's nothing out there that will strain a 560 ti running PhysX, not by a long shot.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:03:34 PM

I agree whole heartily with Big there are very few games that you can't get max physx with and have good frames with with a card like a 670 or 680. I had an issue with Batman Arkham Asylum in one of the scarecrow levels where it lagged at the end. However Arkham City no such issue. In my opinion you could sell off the 560Ti or hold onto the card when there is a physx game in the future where your card no longer has the horses to keep up with the extra eye candy.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:11:45 PM

Has anyone seen Physx being supported recently?

Sell the card and buy a huge bunch of beers.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:14:13 PM

ilysaml said:

:lol:  i like having it even though i hardly use it.I guess i am :pt1cable:  I agree sell the 560 ti.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:21:52 PM

bigcyco1 said:
:lol:  i like having it even though i hardly use it.I guess i am :pt1cable:  I agree sell the 560 ti.

What about the beer? :lol: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:23:46 PM

Not a beer guy but hey maybe he could go to a strip club and throw out the bills :p 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:25:35 PM

I like beer but stripers even better so i don't know pick which you prefer :lol: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2012 11:29:07 PM

+1 here.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 8:44:05 AM

ilysaml said:

Borderlands 2, Arkham City/Asylum, Metro 2033 and Bulletstorm are the recent major titles with it.

And the booze and strippers are mine. However you may have one each. For Christmas spirit.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 8:54:08 AM

Well when i was not married i know the strippers use to do stuff that their not suppose to for extra ahahaha!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 9:09:28 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Borderlands 2, Arkham City/Asylum, Metro 2033 and Bulletstorm are the recent major titles with it.

And the booze and strippers are mine. However you may have one each. For Christmas spirit.

Metro 2033 and Asylum are recent titles? Come on, I meant MOH Warfighter, COD BO2, Far Cry3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, AC III, Dishonored, Mass Effect 3, Ghost Recon,......
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 9:22:42 AM

They're recent enough? I didn't realise 'recent' is just 2012 games :-P Graphically, there's not been a great deal of progress since the original Crysis, so I'd absolutely consider anything from 2010-2011 to still be a recent game. Obviously comes down to what you consider recent.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 10:37:57 AM

So, it turns out to be just 2 or 3 out of 20 "recent" games that supports Physx.

The question is, do you even notice the Physx effect in Metro 2033 or Arkham City, as experts reported that it's very hard to notice the effect in metro 2033 as the game depends mainly on the darkness, specific locations in AC too, talking about Physx nowadays is useless, I'm expecting the technique to be shut down soon, who cares anyway?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 10:59:18 AM

OH you guys are to much there are more games then those 4. And with Ily I agree with where he is going with what he just said up ^ here. In Metro I bought it with the humble bundle swear to god I turned on the Physx to advanced not once did I notice the game using it. The game is really dark so its possible that had something to do with it. Also Arkham City you can tell all over the damn place with physx explosions, carpet being manipulated, you have tearing of cloth. You notice more in Asylum love rocksteady batman games <3. Borderlands 2 you notice it all over the place as well. IT won't drop off I think its a nice added element where there is a engine that offloads physx on graphic cards however games are using Physx like things in them that aren't highly taxing on the card.

full list of games

http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=pc
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 11:09:24 AM

ilysaml said:
So, it turns out to be just 2 or 3 out of 20 "recent" games that supports Physx.

The question is, do you even notice the Physx effect in Metro 2033 or Arkham City, as experts reported that it's very hard to notice the effect in metro 2033 as the game depends mainly on the darkness, specific locations in AC too, talking about Physx nowadays is useless, I'm expecting the technique to be shut down soon, who cares anyway?
You do not want to miss out on this do you bud? :lol:  [/quotemsg]
[/quotemsg]
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 11:14:41 AM

:ouch:  :pfff:  no I don't sir >< I like my eye candys
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 11:18:32 AM

bigshootr8 said:
:ouch:  :pfff:  no I don't sir >< I like my eye candys
I do to ;)  it's good stuff. I love to bring Physx up then pop some pop corn and sit back and watch the show people lose their mind over it i say it because i know how mad it gets people :lol: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 11:23:35 AM

Yea most definitely if you play any games that use it you will want it pretty much because in the games that do it right borderlands 2 and the batman games it TOTALLY changes the picture of things. Play borderlands on your xbox come back and play it on a PC same with batman games its unreal.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 11:38:29 AM

@bigcoy
I didn't mention borderlands because I knew that the game was optimized in every single detail for nVidia cards.

Also, I'm so right about the AC, only specific locations you can notice the Physx effect pretty well, all you included in the Video is the smoking and explosion effects with Physx enabled.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 12:24:41 PM

I've seen the video comparisons with Arkham City and Borderlands 2 (I have a Radeon so can't use it myself) and it is awesome. You can whine about games being 'nVidia-optimised', you can say it's unfair, but it doesn't change the fact that you get a better experience in those games with nVidia hardware.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 1:10:21 PM

You said it yourself, with the nVidia hardware. Actually those games are TWIMTBP games.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 3:15:27 PM

ilysaml said:
You said it yourself, with the nVidia hardware. Actually those games are TWIMTBP games.

Yeah... that was my whole point? What's your's?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 3:55:45 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Yeah... that was my whole point? What's your's?

Physx = bla bla bla
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2012 4:00:00 PM

Haha alright here it is:

PhysX sucks if you don't have it.

I guess I'm an exception to the rule though because I have a Radeon (so no PhysX for me), but I've seen from the videos what I'm missing out on.
m
l
May 12, 2013 8:09:40 AM

adarzannh said:
You may actually get worse performance with a 560ti for physx than without. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M See if this helps.

I can testify this is not true for the gtx680 and 560 physx dedicated setup. Running fluidmark benchmark with gtx680 alone gives me a 55 fps average.
Dedicating the 560 to physx shoots up the average fps to 77.

m
l
!