MemIO/ Shader Temps too high after fan replacement 5870

Hello all, I am having a horrible time with this. I have a 5870 whos fan gave out. I order another, installed it, and notice my temperatures were insane. If i recall they were around 60c for the gpu itself, 90ish c for the memIO and about 130 for the Shader as reported by HWiNFO64.

So i took it apart once more and notice some of the termal pads were basically dried up and 'sandlike', so i order some. the set was a set of 1.0mm, 1.5, and 2.0mm. I removed all the old pads, placed all the new ones after cleaning with acetone, fired it up, and now My temps sit at gpu ~60 (fine) MemIO 133c and my shaders at 104c. The temperatures kindof reversed.

SO I guess what i want to know is WHERE these temperatures are physically being detected from. I assume MEMIO is simply the memory that surrounds the gpu and the sharders are another name for something else (vrm maybe???) I dont know.

All i know is this is a horrible pain in the ass and wondered if there were any other suggestions. Should i burn it in at 130 for a bit? ( don't want to do that) or maybe just keep it idleing at (32c gpu, 47c memio, and 38c shader) for a while before running games.

Halp
1 answer Last reply
More about memio shader temps high replacement 5870
  1. Use another Program such as HWMonitor from CPUID, The 5870 should shutdown way before it hits 130c on any part of the card, 100 - 106c its its safety shutdown, depending on what company made it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Fan Graphics