Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Desktop part list complete, almost.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Desktops
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 12:53:11 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DG7V

Here's what I got. Pretty happy with it all. Will fit my need for gaming/streaming/multi tsking by far.
Only thing I am concerned about, is my mobo. What do you guys think? Think it'll be fine with this build? Everything else SHOULD be good. (( No need to switch cpu to intel etc, picked AMD for specific reasons, did heavily research into this. ))

Basically just want to know if there's a btter mobo out there, and if this will all go together perfectly.

More about : desktop part list complete

a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2013 1:08:21 PM

The mobo should be fine.

The Ram's tall heatsinks may interfere with the cooler, i suggest low profile ram.

Get a gtx 670 instead. Gtx 680 gives roughly 5-10% better performance but for 25% more cost.

The Haf XM is expensive for a mid tower case.

If you're not planning to SLI in the future then you can get a smaller PSU 500-550w should be sufficient.

May i ask your specific reasons for AMD?
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 1:13:07 PM

mikerockett said:
The mobo should be fine.

The Ram's tall heatsinks may interfere with the cooler, i suggest low profile ram.

Get a gtx 670 instead. Gtx 680 gives roughly 5-10% better performance but for 25% more cost.

The Haf XM is expensive for a mid tower case.

If you're not planning to SLI in the future then you can get a smaller PSU 500-550w should be sufficient.


After looking this over.. and seeing a build for literally less than half of this. I'm highly reconsidering this build

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Dzn0

Would a build like that be able to run stuff on ultra? Also, later on, let's see I did save enough for a higher graphics card, and did "cross fire" would I be able to combine a 670-680 with this 660? Ty!

((I'm sure I'd wanna change around the build a bit if that's the case. Basically get hardware that's ready for upgrades in the future.))
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 15, 2013 1:14:53 PM

mikerockett said:
The mobo should be fine.

The Ram's tall heatsinks may interfere with the cooler, i suggest low profile ram.

Get a gtx 670 instead. Gtx 680 gives roughly 5-10% better performance but for 25% more cost.

The Haf XM is expensive for a mid tower case.

If you're not planning to SLI in the future then you can get a smaller PSU 500-550w should be sufficient.

May i ask your specific reasons for AMD?


After looking this build over. I'm actually considering on going way cheaper.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Dzn0
Seen that build for literlaly less than half the price of the one I'm building now. Let's say I did go with a build similar to this, getting a 660 gtx, would I be able to crossfire it with a 670-680 in the future? To combine the two together for a really nice performance? If so I'd obviously need to change around some hardware on this build so I can have room for future upgrades such as that, etc.

Also, a gtx 660 should be able to run most stuff in ultra correct? And high at least with 1660p screen?
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 1:16:28 PM

You need same cards - can be different manufacturers.
-Bruce
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 1:29:11 PM

Budget: preferably around 800 or less if possible. Will go up to 900.
Specific uses: Current and future MMO's. WoW, Aion, Mortal online, elder scrolls online, etc. RTS games: Sc2. Or games like Diablo 3. ((Pretty much I want to play just about any game in ultra setting smoothly.)) Games like crisis 3 however, I can understand it not being as smooth, but I would like to have the capability if possible to run it in highest settings. With all this said, I want my pc to have the capability to upgrade when I can afford it. For example, have the capability to takein a 670-680 vid card, so basically I want the motherboard to have crossfire. ((assuming I can combine a 660 with a 670 or 680.
Planned time until purchase: Today, or tomorrow actually.
Do you need an Operating System?: No.
Do you have any specific preferred components?: Amd 8350 for cpu and gtx 660 for graphics, preferably one of the higher rated ones that are known to be quiet and have low temps.
Do you need a sound or wireless card?:Whatever I need to have sound. And yes I want my desktop to connect to my router wireless.
Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: Not unless it's preferred with the build.
Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): 45014 US

General idea of use: Gaming, streaming, running multiple things at once. 1440p capable, doesn't need to run in ultra though, but running smoothly in ultra for 1080p is preferred. Ty!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2013 1:40:11 PM

Sli is for nvidia cards, xfire for AMD. You cannot combine a 660 with a 670/680, same card only. With that in mind i wouldn't get a 660.

Here's a build taking into account you want an 8350.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($194.15 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $885.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 10:40 EST-0500)

m
0
l
February 15, 2013 1:55:05 PM

mikerockett said:
Sli is for nvidia cards, xfire for AMD. You cannot combine a 660 with a 670/680, same card only. With that in mind i wouldn't get a 660.

Here's a build taking into account you want an 8350.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($194.15 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $885.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 10:40 EST-0500)



Thank you. I don't know though, I might still be tempted then to spend the 1.3k. Just very scared, to be quite honest. First pc build, but I want it to perform great and to have many opportunities. I may downgrade to the 670 if do stick with the first build I linked. Btw the reason I was interested in gtx was because of the low noise and low temps, even though radeon does perform better.


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DG7V
However with this build though, would you suggest anything else to maybe switch out? If I did downgrade to a gtx770 would I be able to buy a cheaper power supply? Gtx770 should be capable of running 1440p on ultra correct? Ty! I think this is really the build I want to do, it's just a matter of building up the courage to spend it and do it. And it would make me more comfortable knowng I have some second opinions that agree with the build.
Also if you could suggest another case maybe cheaper, and with some nice physical appeal that everything would fit fine in, that would be nice. Haha, I was suggested this case, however I'm really not fond of it, and you're right about it being overpriced.

Also the reason for the AMD cpu is because after researching, I've noticed that intel cpu only gives better fps in lower resolution and lower graphics. One graphics are maxed, amd and intel are about the same, and sometimes in amd's favor. Same goes for when in higher resolution. Also, it seems amd is also better for streaming as well.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2013 2:00:09 PM

If you don't want to sli later then you can do with 500-550w.

Still curious to know why you want to go AMD though?

For the extra 500 i think it's wasted, go with the 7970 GPU.

" Btw the reason I was interested in gtx was because of the low noise and low temps" - This is very dependant on the card itself, you could get this with radeon as well.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 2:08:40 PM

mikerockett said:
If you don't want to sli later then you can do with 500-550w.

Still curious to know why you want to go AMD though?

For the extra 500 i think it's wasted, go with the 7970 GPU.

" Btw the reason I was interested in gtx was because of the low noise and low temps" - This is very dependant on the card itself, you could get this with radeon as well.



I've looked at all the radeon card reviews. They run from decent to good.
As for the gtx, there are some that are close to perfect. I really just think it's a personal preference.

Anyways how's this build look for the gtx 670?
((Decided to go with the 670, since the 680 is only a 5% increase.))

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DgbM
Would I be able to "sli" with this? If not I suppose that's fine. Is the motherboard capable of it though, if I were to increase the psu later?
One last thing though, I would like a different case, where everything fits. Something that has a nice appearance too, led lights, stuff like that. Just not a fan of this case's physical appearance for it's price!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2013 2:16:48 PM

Made some adjustments, this will sli no problem, changed case, no idea if you'll like or not, cases are very subjective.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($194.15 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($139.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($354.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($122.75 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1131.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 11:16 EST-0500)
Share
February 15, 2013 2:24:55 PM

mikerockett said:
Made some adjustments, this will sli no problem, changed case, no idea if you'll like or not, cases are very subjective.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($194.15 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($139.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($354.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($122.75 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1131.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 11:16 EST-0500)

Love the case. I think this is what I'm going to go with then. Are you absolutely sure that everything on this list will fit together? And with this, should I ever decide to buy a second 670 gtx card, I could add it to the mobo no problem? Ty!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2013 2:40:48 PM

The mobo has two PCI-e slots that can run dual x16. It will run two 670's fine, the mobo could do 4 670's but a reduced speed due to the other two pci-e slots running at x4.

The PSU can handle two cards fine as well, it's also modular.

Everything will fit yes.

Good luck with your build and enjoy :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 2:45:30 PM

mikerockett said:
The mobo has two PCI-e slots that can run dual x16. It will run two 670's fine, the mobo could do 4 670's but a reduced speed due to the other two pci-e slots running at x4.

The PSU can handle two cards fine as well, it's also modular.

Everything will fit yes.

Good luck with your build and enjoy :) 


Tyvm!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2013 2:47:43 PM

No problem, have fun and don't forget to select a best answer :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 3:11:20 PM

Best answer selected by vincenntxue.
m
0
l