Are all these Compatible? (First Build)

Hi i am planning on building my first gaming desktop and had some queries i would like answered before i go ahead and order the parts,

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965+Black+Edition+C3+3.40GHz+%28Socket+AM3%29+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=38891

GFX - XFX RADEON HD 7870 http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/XFX+Core+Edition+Radeon+HD+7870+2048MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+%2B+2+FREE+GAMES%21+?productId=52021

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-78LMT http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/GIGABYTE+GA-78LMT-USB3+AMD+760G+%28Socket+AM3%2B%29+Micro-ATX+Motherboard+?productId=51949

RAM - 8GB Mushkin (2x4) http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/8GB+Mushkin+Enhanced+Silverline+%23996770+%282x4GB%29+1333+%28PC3-10666%29+240-Pin+DDR3+SDRAM+CAS+9-9-9-24+1.5V+?productId=41882

Can someone tell me if all these components are compatible, and also tell me whether the motherboard would be good for gaming as thats one of the main reasons im purchasing this (note: i am not a hardcore gamer)


Thanks
24 answers Last reply
More about compatible first build
  1. the motherboard only have 2 ram slots and it dont have sata 3 ports
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514&Tpk=gigabyte%20ga-990fxa-ud3
    thats better and worth it
  2. do i need sata ports?

    I looked at the picture and it looks like it has 4 ram slots?
  3. yes
    the mobo you posted have 2 ram slots and only sata 2 ports
    the one i suggested have 4 ram slots and sata 3 ports
  4. Yes these parts all work. And no, you don't need SATA 3 ports. It's basically like USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Just a speed difference.
  5. I have no idea what MoBo you looked up, but that one has 4 RAM slots.
  6. i know lol i was confused, because im such a newbie to pc gaming i was starting to question myself and wonder if i even knew what a ram slot looked like haha

    anyway in a nutshell all these parts will work, i also noticed that the graphics card is pci-e 3.0 whereas the mobo is pci-e 2.0, will they still work and will it make a difference to performance?
  7. hypnotoast said:
    i know lol i was confused, because im such a newbie to pc gaming i was starting to question myself and wonder if i even knew what a ram slot looked like haha

    anyway in a nutshell all these parts will work, i also noticed that the graphics card is pci-e 3.0 whereas the mobo is pci-e 2.0, will they still work and will it make a difference to performance?

    not a big diffrence only 1 to 5 fps better
  8. SHORYUKEN said:
    Yes these parts all work. And no, you don't need SATA 3 ports. It's basically like USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Just a speed difference.

    what? Sata 3 is needed when he buys an ssd
    most ssd's these days are sata 3 and if he used them on a sata 2 port he wont get the full perfomance
  9. so everything will work, cos i dont want to buy all parts build half way through then stop because something doesnt fit lol


    another question :S

    see if i were to buy a 2.5" harddrive, will that fit and work with any case i get if i get a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket? the harddrive is a sata II http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/Hard+Drives/2.5+Inch+SATA+Drives/80GB+-+1TB+SATA/320GB+Toshiba+MK3265GSX+MIXED+SATA+II+2.5%22+Laptop+Hard+Drive+-+HDD+-+Recert+?productId=52255

    will it fit if i buy this with it, http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/SSDs/SSD+Accessories/ARIAnet+SSD+%26+HDD+Adapter+?productId=53376
  10. most cases these days have holes for mounting a 2.5 storage device so it wont b a problem
  11. awryt thanks man,

    last thing, in terms of gaming what is your opnion on this do you thjink it will run decent frames at high settings (note: i dont care about frames as long as it doesnt look glitchy)
  12. Yeah that's a speed difference. You can use SSDs on SATA 2 and 3. Just 3 is faster.
  13. so do you guys think this is a decent gaming desktop?

    (note:i dont care about frames unless it makes the game glitchy, i would like it relatively smooth)


    so what do you guys think?
  14. The 7870 is an awesome card when OCed, but the CPU isn't something I would recommend. Most people go with FX-6300 with this kind of budget.
  15. SHORYUKEN said:
    Yeah that's a speed difference. You can use SSDs on SATA 2 and 3. Just 3 is faster.

    i know that but why get a mobo that dont have sata 3 ports its just kinda stupid really
  16. how much more expensive is the fx 6300

    (note: im in uk so pounds)

    what about the fx 4100
  17. hypnotoast said:
    so do you guys think this is a decent gaming desktop?

    (note:i dont care about frames unless it makes the game glitchy, i would like it relatively smooth)


    so what do you guys think?

    the best 7870 version is the gigabyte so if you found one get it
  18. im not planning on overclocking at all by the way, because i dont trust myself lol

    im not planning on upgrading anything soon so when the time comes ill buy a decent motherboard
  19. i just read some reviews and people suggested the phenom ii over the fx 4100 because im trying to stay on a low budget, they say its long in the tooth or something but is still a proven performer so i think ill just stick with that for now :)
  20. No, not the 4100. The 6300.
  21. yeah i know but thats much more expensive

    and i cant stretch my budget that far
  22. Well alright.
  23. hypnotoast said:
    yeah i know but thats much more expensive

    and i cant stretch my budget that far

    maybe sell something?
  24. Nah
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Compatibility Systems Product