Radeon HD 6870 - Terrible Performance/Stuttering in all games

I noticed while playing Far Cry 3 that my performance was pretty terrible. I turned every setting to it's lowest and still experience terrible stuttering. Today, I tried Just Cause 2, which used to work great for me but I also get terrible stuttering with it. I'm not sure if it's because of my new CPU/Motherboard, or if my video card is dying or something.

Also, could it be the fact that I have three monitors connected (One via HDMI, one via active display port and one via DVI - A TV + 2 monitors)

System Specs:

ATI Radeon HD 6870 - Overclocked to 945 MHz GPU clock, 1160 MHz memory clock
Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H Motherboard
Intel i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
24 GB of DDR3 Ram (SIW reports the speed as "667 MHz (667 x 2 = 1333)")
4 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6870 terrible performance stuttering games
  1. Also, I've removed the drivers and cleaned them up with Driver Sweeper, and then reinstalled the latest beta drivers. No difference.
  2. I have the same card and pretty much the same system with the exact same problem.

I get a good FPS but the stuttering effect makes my eyes go funny and gives me a headache trying to play FPS games.

Did you ever manage to fix this problem?
  3. I did indeed. While looking at speedfan to see my GPU temps I noticed my CPU temps were very high. It turns out my CPU fan had fallen off (Fail), and when your CPU hits high temps it gets throttled a LOT. Probably not the same issue you're having, but check your CPU temps just in case :)
  4. Thanks for getting back to me. My temps are not high :S

Back to the drawing board...
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Performance Graphics