Built new PC need help with gfx card!

So this is my second pc I have built so I am not that new to building world. Anyway, the main problem I am having is with the gfx card (Radeon HD 7770). When I power up the computer the fan on the gfx card spins for ruffly 1 second then stops, and displays no picture. When I put the gfx card into my moms old Dell it runs and fine and it works and displays a picture. When i put her old gfx card (Nvidia 8600gt) the fan spins but I still receive no picture. Im not sure if its not getting enough power or I have the wrong parts or what. My computer parts are:

PSU XFX PRO550W
MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
HDD 1T|ST ST1000DL002 5.9K SATA3G
CPU AMD|PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 R
DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
MB MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
VGA HIS|H777F1G2M HD7770 1G R
CASE FAN|XIGMATEK XLF-F1253 R

If I could get any help it would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about built card
  1. I am no expert in problem diagnosing, but could be a faulty PSU, mobo PCI slot, or just the cable itself. What cable are you using? DVI? VGA? HDMI? Try replacing the cable first.
  2. I used a VGA then DVI for the HD 7770 and still didnt work, but for the 8600gt I tried everything on mine and it doesnt work but on my moms it does. Trying a new PCI right now as we speak.
  3. Just tried different PCI slot but that didnt solve anything, still no spin on the fan, thinking its the power supply, not enough power.
  4. Looking at the picture of your MB. it has a 8 pin cpu power up near the socket? did you plug it with the 8 pin from your power supply? The reason why I ask this is because it sounds like the lower end of you MB isn't getting the power it needs to run everything.
  5. The 8 pin is plugged in, tried my 7700 still didnt work, tried the 8600 and fan still going but no picture.. I dont know what im missing or... If i just need more power, but my moms computer is only a 350W and its running everything just fine.
  6. My guess would be either you power supply is bad or your MB is bad on the lower end. which can happen.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics