WHO DECIDES MY I.P.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
a yr ago i got my mobo damaged and replaced by a different model one with different specifications, but the IP of my pc remained same.

half a yr ago, i had a different dial-up connection than what i m using now. Still the same I.P.

Could it be changed when i carry my pc to say 5km away?

I wanna know how those integers stick with this pc.

Solution

I may not have made this sufficiently clear - you cannot change that external IP of 175.111.***.*** - only your ISP BSNL EVDO can control that. The IP you change in the Control Panel is by fixing an IP such as 192.168.1.44 where your Default Gateway (fixed to that router) is 192.168.1.1. That's a pointless exercise and it's better left to the DHCP system to control those internal addresses.

Unless you have a static IP setup, the IP you get comes from whatever DHCP server you connect to, usually your Router. Most Routers will give the first PC a 192.168.1.2 address.

If you connect to a Router on the moon, it will probably give you the same IP.

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

so its the dial-up connection that decides the ip, if so let me check the same dongle on another pc n report u back.

later.

Are you talking about your internal IP or your external? Connecting to a router with the default gateway of 192.168.0.1 might give you an internal IP of 192.168.0.2 or any last number up to 254 but your external IP will remain the same while connected to the same ISP. A router who's gateway is 192.168.2.1, say a Belkin, will allocate you a number of 192.168.2.3 or up to 255 but again, the external is the one the ISP gives you.

Dial-up doesn't give you an internal IP because you aren't networked so you don't need one.

Does that make things any clearer - or a lot worse? :D

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

thanks very much bro for that info....

but if the dial up gave me an ip (xternal) than y didnt it change while switching to another one...

Also, its often seen hackers could be traced across the globe through their IPs.
And, a month ago i visited a website that actually gave my home's latitude and longitude values.

These are what led me to think IPs are location based.

Pls, reply to all those observations.

Are you in Korea? The other two number sets wuld be useful but you gave is enough to show that is your external IP. That shouldn't change with your location but if you use an ISP such as AOL, they will probaby give you the same IP every time you log in as a way of keeping track of you. Your ISP may do the same.

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

no its india.

& the dial up connection is BSNL EVDO.

When i change the ip or the dns at : Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections>Properties>Networking it demands a refresh.
When i reconnect my dongle it doesnt work, so i have to get to default settings.

I may not have made this sufficiently clear - you cannot change that external IP of 175.111.***.*** - only your ISP BSNL EVDO can control that. The IP you change in the Control Panel is by fixing an IP such as 192.168.1.44 where your Default Gateway (fixed to that router) is 192.168.1.1. That's a pointless exercise and it's better left to the DHCP system to control those internal addresses.

Solution

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

thanks 4 d info.

Status
Not open for further replies.