SD Cards

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 20, 2005 6:06:18 PM

I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various cards
including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly 512MB.

Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files on the
card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to recover the files,
but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone
have an answer to it?

Bill

More about : cards

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:06:19 PM

Bill Again wrote:
> I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various
> cards including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly
> 512MB.
> Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files
> on the card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to
> recover the files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had
> this problem? Does anyone have an answer to it?

Our experience with the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 has shown no problems with
512MB Kingmax, 1GB Kingmax and 1GB SanDisk Ultra II SD cards. Do the
cards read back in the camera OK - if so I would suspect your card reader,
its software, or hardware connection. If not, do you ever remove the
cards with the power on in the camera, or does your camera perhaps have a
bad SD card connection or unreliable battery?

David
May 20, 2005 11:05:09 PM

Try formatting the card in the camera - may eliminate some variable...

MB
"Bill Again" <bill@addcom.de> wrote in message
>I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various cards
>including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly 512MB.
>
> Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files on the
> card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to recover the
> files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had this problem? Does
> anyone have an answer to it?
>
> Bill

May 20, 2005 11:09:13 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Bill Again wrote:
>> I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various
>> cards including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly
>> 512MB.
>> Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files
>> on the card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to
>> recover the files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had
>> this problem? Does anyone have an answer to it?
>
> Our experience with the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 has shown no problems
> with 512MB Kingmax, 1GB Kingmax and 1GB SanDisk Ultra II SD cards.
> Do the cards read back in the camera OK - if so I would suspect your
> card reader, its software, or hardware connection. If not, do you
> ever remove the cards with the power on in the camera, or does your
> camera perhaps have a bad SD card connection or unreliable battery?

I'm using a Sandisk 512MB Ultra II SD card and never had problems. I
always read it through the camera.

HTH

robert
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:02:35 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:Xhlje.35928$G8.19359@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Bill Again wrote:
>> I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various
>> cards including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly
>> 512MB.
>> Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files
>> on the card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to
>> recover the files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had
>> this problem? Does anyone have an answer to it?
>
> Our experience with the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 has shown no problems with
> 512MB Kingmax, 1GB Kingmax and 1GB SanDisk Ultra II SD cards. Do the
> cards read back in the camera OK - if so I would suspect your card reader,
> its software, or hardware connection. If not, do you ever remove the
> cards with the power on in the camera, or does your camera perhaps have a
> bad SD card connection or unreliable battery?
>
> David

Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax names,
there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from despite their give
away prices.

This is my 7th digi and I have experience with many types of cards, it is
only the SD cards that I have ever had problems with. Naturally enough I
take care when removing the cards, and in general use them correctly. Why
they occasionally freeze up is a mystery to me.

You mention the 1gb Ultra II. Does anyone know if they are compatible with
the FZ10?

Best regards,

Bill
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:02:36 PM

Bill Again wrote:
[]
> Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax
> names, there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from
> despite their give away prices.

Kingmax are high-performance cards - not no-name ones:

http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news_product/news_p2004...

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:58:49 PM

wrote in message news:VpHje.36689$G8.18970@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Bill Again wrote:
> []
>> Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax
>> names, there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from
>> despite their give away prices.
>
> Kingmax are high-performance cards - not no-name ones:
>
> http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news_product/news_p2004...
>
> Cheers,
> David

Misunderstanding. I didn't mean to imply that Kingmax were no name cards,
merely that I didn't recognise them BUT that there are lots of others here,
mainly rubbish.

Thanks,

Bill
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:58:50 PM

Bill Again wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:VpHje.36689$G8.18970@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Bill Again wrote:
>> []
>>> Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax
>>> names, there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from
>>> despite their give away prices.
>>
>> Kingmax are high-performance cards - not no-name ones:
>>
>> http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news_product/news_p2004...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>

> Misunderstanding. I didn't mean to imply that Kingmax were no name
> cards, merely that I didn't recognise them BUT that there are lots of
> others here, mainly rubbish.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Fine, Bill. I havdn't heard of Kingmax before, either.

I just read about an SD card which was too thck for a card reader as it
was literally re-badged, and the reseller's stick-on label was thick
enough to intefere with the card fitting in the reader!

Cheers,
David
!