Sign in with
Your question

Faulty psu or gpu?

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 3:20:05 PM

Hi guys, a while ago i made my new system, however i've been getting some trouble lately. Somethimes when i game i'd hear a high pitched noise coming from my pc (mostly on loading screens). when i listen closely, the sound comes more from the bottom than from the center, so im guessing it's my psu. but i've got some issues with graphical displays too. somethimes my games would close, freeze or crash and if mozilla is open, the upper bar will become fully black. bf3 somethimes doesn't want to start up and after 30 minutes of gameplay i get black flashes ingame. on everquest 2, i have even worse problems, some parts of my enviroment will just hang on a certain pixel and and stretch out, like when you pull on chewing gum. When i overclock my video card (gigabyte 7950 windforce 3) to 970mhz, standard voltage and a power limit of +20% it will even get worse (only a 7% overclock, isn't that low for this card!?) anyways i know not every card is the same and as long as it hits the standards of that specific card on stock it's considered one of those. but im a little worried :/ 

Here are my system specs:

CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 -> 1.128 voltage
GPU: Gigabyte 7950 windforce 3
PSU: Corsair CX750 V3 builder serie (non modular)
RAM: corsair vengeance low profile
Mobo: gigabyte Z77 D3H
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003
CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 Rev. B

Thanks in advance,

Demisor

More about : faulty psu gpu

February 15, 2013 3:26:46 PM

Might be the gpu. Have you tried running a benchmark on it to see if a heavy load on the gpu does anything?
February 15, 2013 3:34:49 PM

I agree with Azn Cracker to a point. The vid card will be the easiest to test. Check out Furmark or similar gpu benchmarking utilities and do a run.
Related resources
February 15, 2013 3:38:55 PM

I just downloaded Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 i'll tell you how it goes in a bit :)  thanks for the help already guys!
February 15, 2013 3:40:52 PM

I had the same issue with my old GTX285 and as it turned out some capacitors make that noise. I RMA the card but the noise was still there :) ...So I bought 6950 and there was no more annoying sound. I hope that answered your question. :) 
February 15, 2013 3:43:38 PM

maxinexus said:
I had the same issue with my old GTX285 and as it turned out some capacitors make that noise. I RMA the card but the noise was still there :) ...So I bought 6950 and there was no more annoying sound. I hope that answered your question. :) 

Well not really max, since i think that noise comes from the psu :/ 
February 16, 2013 6:32:06 PM

could anyone answer this please? Thanks :) 
!