Sign in with
Your question

Build advice

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 3:58:49 PM

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice where I could cut corners or improve this spec without spending more money.

I already have a monitor, windows licence and GPU (Asus directcu gtx 670) and everything else needed so its only items in the list below that need review.

Product list here.

My current case is quite loud and I wanted something a bit quieter and liked the design of the R4.

I use quite a lot of threaded applications and use VM's often that is why I choose the I7 instead of the I5.

Thanks for any advice, Rob.

More about : build advice

February 15, 2013 5:02:29 PM

I see reason behind you choosing i7, but why not i7-3770? it's still powerful enough to do vm and all that but doesnt need hydro cooler(as it is not directly purposed for overclocking) and may be just fine with standard cooler or something nicer like air cooler CM 212 EVO that goes for ~23 pounds
February 15, 2013 5:05:52 PM

I definitely see the reason to use the i7, but drop the H80i in favor of a D14.. Then add a good SSD to the mix if you have the money - the OCZ Vertex 4 and Vector are the ones I highly recommend. The Samsung 840 Pro and Plextor PX-M5S are also fine choices.
Related resources
February 15, 2013 5:13:55 PM

Do you really need a water cooler for your CPU? I have my i5 3570K overclocked, and with the stock cooler, and even when its taxed the highest it goes is about 30 C, which is just about perfect. As far as quiet cases, I highly recommend Cooler Master or Antec. All come with great options for add on case fans; most come with great case fans already. To be honest, unless you drop the CPU to an i5, your price range is right around the average.
February 15, 2013 6:14:45 PM

I am planning this to be a long term build, minimum of 3/4 years and was planning to overclock (sorry I forgot to include this). Not a huge overclock, 4/4.2ish for everyday use.

The reason I was leaning towards the H80i was mainly because how neat it is in the case and won't get in the way of anything. My computer moves around a fair amount, on my last pc this caused a problem with CPU cooler fans.

From what I know the D14 is just as quiet so that not a problem, I'll make sure to reconsider air coolers.

I'll see if I can find a good price on a Samsung 840 SSD if not I may add this later.

Thanks for the advice so far, any more is welcome. I have some thinking to do :) 
February 15, 2013 6:24:50 PM

I say grab the 830 series: cheaper and just as fast.
February 15, 2013 6:48:21 PM

hero1 said:
I say grab the 830 series: cheaper and just as fast.

Not much difference here in the UK.
!