Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5

Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg

resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.

David
14 answers Last reply
More about spanish panasonic
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:43:17 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:
    >
    >http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg
    >
    >resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.
    >
    >David

    Very nice picture. Any chance you recall at what shutter speed this
    shot was taken? Did you use shutter priority?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    bogus@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:43:17 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:
    >>
    >> http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg
    >>
    >> resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.
    >>
    >> David
    >
    > Very nice picture. Any chance you recall at what shutter speed this
    > shot was taken? Did you use shutter priority?

    Thanks for the comments.

    The exposure information should be in the EXIF data - 1/400s at f/5.6. I
    used Program mode. I meant to add that this was taken from a normal
    spectator's viewpoint, row 9 of a grandstand, not with press access or
    anything.

    Cheers,
    David
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    wrote in message news:p73ne.42932$G8.41935@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:
    >
    > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg
    >
    > resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.
    >
    > David

    One of my efforts from the Spanish Grand Prix.
    http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1537724

    If I remember rightly, that picture was taken from your neck of the woods in
    Grandstand F
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes:

    > Interesting - I've not go into burst mode yet (we get about 2 pictures per
    > second), but it is an obvious tool for motor racing!

    I leave my FZ20 in burst mode all the time. It works exactly the same
    as single shot mode unless you hold down the shutter button. It's very
    handy for group portraits since a single shot rarely catches everyone
    at their best.

    Does the FZ5 have the "pan" scene mode? That'd be worth trying, too.

    -Dave
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Gizmo wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:p73ne.42932$G8.41935@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >> Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:
    >>
    >> http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg
    >>
    >> resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.
    >>
    >> David
    >

    > One of my efforts from the Spanish Grand Prix.
    > http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1537724
    >
    > If I remember rightly, that picture was taken from your neck of the
    > woods in Grandstand F

    What a fascinating comparison! Is your image cropped or the full area?
    Mine was resized simply to keep the file size down on my Web site. Your
    slower shutter speed emphasises the panning effect more, and the red
    Ferrari makes for a better photo than the black McLaren! You were nearer
    the bend end of the Grandstand F for that shot, we were at the "start" end
    (block 2).

    Thanks for showing me what a Canon 20D with 75-300mm IS lens can do!

    Cheers,
    David
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > bogus@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:43:17 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    >><david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg
    >>>
    >>>resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.
    >>>
    >>>David
    >>
    >>Very nice picture. Any chance you recall at what shutter speed this
    >>shot was taken? Did you use shutter priority?
    >

    > Thanks for the comments.
    >
    > The exposure information should be in the EXIF data - 1/400s at f/5.6. I
    > used Program mode. I meant to add that this was taken from a normal
    > spectator's viewpoint, row 9 of a grandstand, not with press access or
    > anything.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Yeah, so, how did the camera/you handle the challenge? Autofocus or
    preset? Timing/shutter lag? Percentage of good:missed shots? Easy or
    frustrating to use on this subject? (I take a lot of motorcycle racing
    pictures so these things are very important to me!)

    Cheers
    Steve
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Bartshumandad wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    []
    > Yeah, so, how did the camera/you handle the challenge? Autofocus or
    > preset? Timing/shutter lag? Percentage of good:missed shots? Easy or
    > frustrating to use on this subject? (I take a lot of motorcycle racing
    > pictures so these things are very important to me!)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Steve

    Hi, Steve.

    I would pre-focus & pre-expose on the part of the track I wanted the car
    to be at when I took the shot, and then keep the finger half-pressed on
    the shutter. Then pan with the car and press the button at the right
    time. Being at the GP for all three days (and having digital) meant I
    could get plenty of practice. The major problem was framing, because on
    this part of the track the cars could either be accelerating out of the
    pit-lane, or decelerating towards the first corner, so a simple uniform
    pan could easily end up with the car half-on or half-off the image. Of
    course, by widening the field-of-view you are more likely to get the whole
    car on the image, but it's smaller and not as impressive!

    Manual focus might have been nice, but I would still need to keep my
    finger half-pressed to minimise shutter lag. I ended up with more usable
    shots than I expected - perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 were usable, although only say
    5-10% were really good, and perhaps 1 - 2% excellent (like the one I
    showed). I was more successful looking the other way to a section of the
    first bend where the panning speed was more uniform, but the cars were
    further away so not so much detail. Manual zoom might have been easier as
    well, rather than the push buttons. Of course, being familiar with the
    camera so that you don't need to think about what you are doing helps a
    lot. I used the EVF and not the LCD finder exclusively.

    Generally I would have said "easy" rather than "frustrating", but much
    practice is required. The camera's size and weight were critical (to me)
    for three whole day excursions on the trot. No way would I have lugged a
    DSLR with (an equivalent) 300mm image stabilised lens around, nor would it
    have been anything like as easy to pan. The viewfinder would have been
    better, though. I was dead chuffed (as we say) with the FZ5 for this
    application!

    Cheers,
    David
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    > Manual focus might have been nice, but I would still need to keep my
    > finger half-pressed to minimise shutter lag. I ended up with more usable
    > shots than I expected - perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 were usable, although only say
    > 5-10% were really good, and perhaps 1 - 2% excellent (like the one I
    > showed).

    Having used an FZ10 for racing for about a year, I'd generally agree
    with those proportions, although I'm learning *my* limitations on
    reaction time etc. better now and I tend not to shoot in circumstances
    where I don't think I'll catch the cars properly!

    > I was more successful looking the other way to a section of the
    > first bend where the panning speed was more uniform, but the cars were
    > further away so not so much detail. Manual zoom might have been easier as
    > well, rather than the push buttons.

    This I agree with. Maybe FZ30 will fix that ;)

    pete
    --
    pete@fenelon.com "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    wrote in message news:XAYne.44510$G8.34301@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > Gizmo wrote:
    >> "David J Taylor"
    >> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:p73ne.42932$G8.41935@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >>> Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b.jpg
    >>>
    >>> resampled to 50% size, 1280 x 960 pixels, 177KB.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>

    >> One of my efforts from the Spanish Grand Prix.
    >> http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1537724
    >>
    >> If I remember rightly, that picture was taken from your neck of the
    >> woods in Grandstand F
    >
    > What a fascinating comparison! Is your image cropped or the full area?
    > Mine was resized simply to keep the file size down on my Web site. Your
    > slower shutter speed emphasises the panning effect more, and the red
    > Ferrari makes for a better photo than the black McLaren! You were nearer
    > the bend end of the Grandstand F for that shot, we were at the "start" end
    > (block 2).
    >
    > Thanks for showing me what a Canon 20D with 75-300mm IS lens can do!

    The image wasn't cropped at all, just resized to make the file size
    acceptable to Photosig - for some reason they dont want full size 8MB files
    ;o)
    The 20D was in burst mode - that picture was the best out of 8 pictures. I
    guess there's a little bit of luck involved in capturing a car travelling
    that fast, centre frame :o)

    The image has been through Photoshop:
    Auto contrast. Auto Colours. Unsharp Mask. Resize.

    Can't remember which block we were in while in Grandstand F. We spent most
    of Friday wandering around different grandstands looking for the best spot
    for best years Grand Prix - came to the conclusion that either F or A are
    the best spots. :o)
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Gizmo wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:XAYne.44510$G8.34301@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >> Gizmo wrote:
    >>> "David J Taylor"
    >>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    >>> message news:p73ne.42932$G8.41935@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

    >>> One of my efforts from the Spanish Grand Prix.
    >>> http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1537724
    >>>
    >>> If I remember rightly, that picture was taken from your neck of the
    >>> woods in Grandstand F
    >>
    >> What a fascinating comparison! Is your image cropped or the full
    >> area? Mine was resized simply to keep the file size down on my Web
    >> site. Your slower shutter speed emphasises the panning effect more,
    >> and the red Ferrari makes for a better photo than the black McLaren!
    >> You were nearer the bend end of the Grandstand F for that shot, we
    >> were at the "start" end (block 2).
    >>
    >> Thanks for showing me what a Canon 20D with 75-300mm IS lens can do!
    >
    > The image wasn't cropped at all, just resized to make the file size
    > acceptable to Photosig - for some reason they dont want full size 8MB
    > files ;o)
    > The 20D was in burst mode - that picture was the best out of 8
    > pictures. I guess there's a little bit of luck involved in capturing
    > a car travelling that fast, centre frame :o)
    >
    > The image has been through Photoshop:
    > Auto contrast. Auto Colours. Unsharp Mask. Resize.
    >
    > Can't remember which block we were in while in Grandstand F. We spent
    > most of Friday wandering around different grandstands looking for the
    > best spot for best years Grand Prix - came to the conclusion that
    > either F or A are the best spots. :o)

    Interesting - I've not go into burst mode yet (we get about 2 pictures per
    second), but it is an obvious tool for motor racing! As an amateur, I
    sometimes think luck is what gives me those few excellent pictures, with
    skill providing a high proportion of good ones. The image from the FZ5 is
    completely unprocessed, except for the resizing.

    We spent Friday in our seats (or nearby) - there was a lot happening and
    we were content to take in the atmosphere. A very enjoyable event!

    Cheers,
    David
  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Dave Sill wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes:
    >
    >> Interesting - I've not go into burst mode yet (we get about 2
    >> pictures per second), but it is an obvious tool for motor racing!
    >
    > I leave my FZ20 in burst mode all the time. It works exactly the same
    > as single shot mode unless you hold down the shutter button. It's very
    > handy for group portraits since a single shot rarely catches everyone
    > at their best.
    >
    > Does the FZ5 have the "pan" scene mode? That'd be worth trying, too.
    >
    > -Dave

    Interestingly, the FZ5 like the FZ20, has the top button for quick access
    to burst mode. I like the group portrait idea! Yes, it has panning mode
    as well - another thing to try sometime.

    Cheers,
    David
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Dave Sill wrote:
    >
    >>"David J Taylor"
    >><david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes:
    >>

    >>>Interesting - I've not go into burst mode yet (we get about 2
    >>>pictures per second), but it is an obvious tool for motor racing!
    >>
    >>I leave my FZ20 in burst mode all the time. It works exactly the same
    >>as single shot mode unless you hold down the shutter button. It's very
    >>handy for group portraits since a single shot rarely catches everyone
    >>at their best.
    >>
    >>Does the FZ5 have the "pan" scene mode? That'd be worth trying, too.
    >>
    >>-Dave
    >

    > Interestingly, the FZ5 like the FZ20, has the top button for quick access
    > to burst mode. I like the group portrait idea! Yes, it has panning mode
    > as well - another thing to try sometime.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Thanks for the intersting thread and comparisons. I am still debating my
    camera options between FZ5 class camera (portability and cost
    advantages) and DSLR (image quality/speed/handling advantages).
    My heart says DSLR but as I like to go most places by motorcycle, I
    worry that I will leave it behind most of the time! I guess I am just
    looking for reassurance that the FZ5 (or Canon S2) will give me the
    speed and quality I want for sport/motorsport photography.
    I had a loan of an Olympus C770, but found the refresh rate of the EVF
    to be too haphazard on fast moving motorcyles! Still got a reasonable
    rate of success with it (but they were noisy and not as sharp as I would
    like).

    Cheers
    Steve
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Bartshumandad wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Dave Sill wrote:

    >>> I leave my FZ20 in burst mode all the time. It works exactly the
    >>> same as single shot mode unless you hold down the shutter button.
    >>> It's very handy for group portraits since a single shot rarely
    >>> catches everyone at their best.
    >>>
    >>> Does the FZ5 have the "pan" scene mode? That'd be worth trying, too.
    >>>
    >>> -Dave
    >>

    >> Interestingly, the FZ5 like the FZ20, has the top button for quick
    >> access to burst mode. I like the group portrait idea! Yes, it has
    >> panning mode as well - another thing to try sometime.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David
    >>

    > Thanks for the intersting thread and comparisons. I am still debating
    > my camera options between FZ5 class camera (portability and cost
    > advantages) and DSLR (image quality/speed/handling advantages).
    > My heart says DSLR but as I like to go most places by motorcycle, I
    > worry that I will leave it behind most of the time! I guess I am just
    > looking for reassurance that the FZ5 (or Canon S2) will give me the
    > speed and quality I want for sport/motorsport photography.
    > I had a loan of an Olympus C770, but found the refresh rate of the EVF
    > to be too haphazard on fast moving motorcyles! Still got a reasonable
    > rate of success with it (but they were noisy and not as sharp as I
    > would like).
    >
    > Cheers
    > Steve

    Steve, one possibility is to get both cameras - the DSLR for when you need
    high ISO or interchangeable lens, the P&S as a knock-about, go anywhere
    camera.

    Comparing the cost, you could start with the P&S and see if you really
    need anything better. If you want the image stabilised 432mm focal length
    (say 300mm on a DSLR) that's going to set you back quite a bit, but you
    will get a more responsive, if heavier and bulkier system. BTW: when
    measuring noise, look at your prints, not at 1:1 on the screen which may
    give a pessimistic result.

    Cheers,
    David
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    TO ALL READERS OF Re: Spanish GP example from Panasonic FZ5

    I know that most of you are probably partial to the FZ5. I like it also
    and am considering buying it at the end of the summer.

    However, I am totally torn between that the the Canon S2. While the
    better movie mode is nice on the S2 it is by no means critical. As a
    matter of fact I like the fact that the Z5 comes in black (I do not
    especially like silver) but that is not a reason to buy a camera.

    I do like the fact that you can turn off the information in the FZ5 and
    I am not sure if you can with the S2(the S1 did not have this capability)

    One thing in Canon's favor is they have been a top camera mfg (in the
    class - recently - of Nikon which rule the world for a long time) for a
    long time and have a reputation that Panasonic does not have. Panasonic
    has to depend on Leica for lenses.

    If one proved to be substantially less noisy at higher ISO that would go
    far. From a couple of reviews of both cameras it appears they are
    evenly matched as far as features unless I missed something.

    Eventually I plan to buy either a Canon DSLR (DRXT or a 20D) or
    successor unless the successor to the D70S sways me over since people I
    speak to feel Nikon is still the ultimate in lens quality and some say
    DSLR quality.

    The deciding factor for me is the bottom line results. I am sure that
    some of you out their may have used both and will testify that the
    results are indistinguishable from each other.

    I do not want to flip a coin so I need some advice on how to choose. A
    few $$$ one way or the other is not a deciding factor. If Fuji had an
    IS long zoom replacement for the S5100 I would also consider that since
    the results from Fuji seems quite good at first glance.

    Sorry this was so long but I really have no basis for choosing one over
    the other. It does seem like Canon is more instep with most people so I
    may need a good reason to buy the Panasonic. Most of the touting of the
    Leica lens are from people who bought the FZ20 and not the FZ5

    Pete Fenelon wrote:

    >David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Manual focus might have been nice, but I would still need to keep my
    >>finger half-pressed to minimise shutter lag. I ended up with more usable
    >>shots than I expected - perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 were usable, although only say
    >>5-10% were really good, and perhaps 1 - 2% excellent (like the one I
    >>showed).
    >>

    >Having used an FZ10 for racing for about a year, I'd generally agree
    >with those proportions, although I'm learning *my* limitations on
    >reaction time etc. better now and I tend not to shoot in circumstances
    >where I don't think I'll catch the cars properly!
    >

    >>I was more successful looking the other way to a section of the
    >>first bend where the panning speed was more uniform, but the cars were
    >>further away so not so much detail. Manual zoom might have been easier as
    >>well, rather than the push buttons.
    >>

    >This I agree with. Maybe FZ30 will fix that ;)
    >
    >pete

ZLR Photo Panasonic Cameras