Julie Thomas

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hey friends,

Thanks for your sharing important tips, Small business networking isn't just about making contacts and exchanging business cards at trade shows. In today's global economy, small business networking is about reducing your operating costs, A small business network uses a host of technologies such as virtual private networks that enable mobile employees and teleworkers to work securely at home, on the road, or at customers' offices. They have full, secure, remote access to your phone system, data network, customer database, and any other tools they need to be productive.

Thanks a lot
Julie Thomas

dgingeri

Distinguished
I set up 14 small offices, ranging from 4 systems (about a dozen employees, two registers, two back office computers) in a retail storefront to 32 in a small mechanical engineering office. In all those cases, I set up a Windows 2003 standard server (I'd use 2008 R2 now, since it's the most recent and has several advantages) to make sure they could do what they need, have decent security without getting overwhelming, and have future expansion in mind.

The big advantage here, and the advantage at the time I did these, is you can get an unemployed, experienced IT worker to set it up for pretty cheap. I used basic desktop machines, except for the engineering office, with a $600 license for Windows Server Standard, and got everything up and running in a week. The server acted as Router, DHCP, DNS, File and print services, and full nightly backups. (I actually have this same setup at home now, serving one file share and two shared printers.)

The server can be a full corporate level server (Dell R310 machines can be had for less than $2000) or a desktop, if you want to save money that much. I wouldn't advise using desktop type hardware if you can avoid it at all.

For the labor, put an ad in Craigslist asking for resumes, definitely do research on all applicants, and hire someone who has experience, but is temporarily out of work. I did the job for $1000 for <10 users. The one with 32 users took me two weeks, and I charged $2000.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I'm telling you, if you do a business network, do it right. it's so much harder to adjust as the business grows if you don't. Also, businesses have a much higher need for security. a Windows 7 home group is incredibly insecure, and NAS devices are more so. A proper server OS costs a whole lot less than having to pick up your network and business after a security breach and ID theft.

pro507

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hello.
I would say WD personal NAS is easier to setup than Fujitsu. For Fujitsu, you must install OS and additional HDD for RAID setting yourself. If you don't know RAID, then go with WD NAS.
By the way, every small business have a budget to run their business, right? A professional consultant can advise customer with a good explanation for their needs. So, if you don't say "what I want" , then you don't get a good advice. If you just share files (Documents, video clips (real estate clip?), music (recorded conversation ?), or pictures), then WD is sufficient. Do you have to access remotely? (Not only within your office, but from your home?)
WD has capability of it. Do you need anything else? Please let me know.