whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD FX 8120 8-core (not overclocked, if it matters) ~3.10 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6870
8Gb RAM

Okay, when I'm playing games, I'm seeing really inconsistent frame rates. It'll run smoothly for a few seconds, then drop for a second, and run smoothly again. This is happening in pretty much any game I try to play, regardless of in-game settings or the overall resource usage of the game. My rig should be more than capable of handling most games, especially on lower settings, but I still get this frame rate drop. Enabling the vertical sync options in the games that have it seems to help, but it doesn't fix the issue completely. For the record, my CPU and GPU aren't over-heating and my CPU usage rarely goes over 25%. If it matters, I'm using a 40-inch 1080p Philips tv as a monitor with 1440x900 resolution. Sorry if I missed anything, I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to setting up and tweaking graphical settings. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
No, it's definitely the frame rate. I've played the same games offline and the same thing happens. I don't have another monitor or TV handy at the moment to check if that's the issue. I'm connected to the TV with an HDMI cable.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Actually at lower resolutions the burden falls more towards the processor, which in your case is not overclocked, on top of beign a amd fx which has terrible single core performance.

Which games are you trying to run?

G

gee, lagging while gaming on an FX cpu . . . . who'da thunk it?

crysis-beyond-50.gif

arkham-beyond-50.gif

Inside the second: A new look at game benchmarking

disclaimer:
the above is a bit more than blatant troll bait, but you don't have to bite.

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
It wasn't exactly my first choice for a CPU, but it was already installed in the partial build I bought and I thought it would work well enough until i can afford a better one. Is there anything I can do to remedy the frame rate drop problem, or am I pretty much stuck with overclocking and hoping for the best? Also, I've tried to run several games, such as Minecraft, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft.

G

sorry i wasn't pointing at you per se.

overclock after buying a decent heatsink and if that doesn't help enough you may want to consider getting a better graphics card to help increase the minimum frame rate - making it less noticeable.

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Alright, I'll go ahead and overclock and see if it helps any. I've already got cooling covered, I've just been putting off overclocking out of sheer laziness. If it doesn't help, I guess I'll just deal with it for a while until the funds are there to buy better hardware. I'll come back with results, just to close out the thread.