Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D bottleneck

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2012 6:27:58 AM

So I just got a radeon 6570 and I've read stuff saying that a pentium d would bottleneck this card and am wondering what I can do to get more out of my gpu. I only have a 275 watt ps could that be limiting my gpu? I have a Pentium D 820, socket 775 LGA would getting a better processor be worth it? And would overclocking help at all? Could I overclock this processor?

More about : pentium bottleneck

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 6:39:56 AM

hello... yes there are S775 CPU's out there that can 4000+ PASSMARK scores... but depends on what brand your motherboard is and the chipset model on it... report back this info.
your video card is not very great...
and your powersupply is too small for many video card upgrade options...

what is your goal with this computer?
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 6:41:26 AM

i had one of them a million years ago they were awesome overclockers cos they had a massive multiplier something like 20 something and a really low fsb and it overclocked to 3.9ghz all day everyday just make sure you get a decent psu and heatsink and fan for it. i remember i got a cheap psu and case combo and on the second i had the chip and the psu i clocked it up 3.9ghz , fired up a game with i think might have been my xfx 7900gs black edition (overclocked too) and fried the psu as soon as my game tried to play (that was a generic 450watter so yes to replace your psu and yes to overclock and sorry to say but if funds permit use this setup as an oversized paperweight and get a new one, even the cheapest celeron on the market today will totally monster this old bad boy
Related resources
a c 178 U Graphics card
December 30, 2012 6:46:25 AM

There will be not a big bottleneck with hd 6570.but you can also overclock your cpu at bios.
December 31, 2012 6:12:42 PM

my purpose is light gaming, I don't care about playing on high settings I just want to be able to run these games without lag on low-med settings
games like

newer total war games
civ 5
starcraft 2
skyrim
m&b games
my specs

windows xp (sp3, idk If it matters to include this)
2 gb ram
radeon hd 6570
Pentium D 2.8 ghz

ok so my motherboard I am unsure about on SIW it just says

Manufacturer Dell
Model 0HH807

would you call it a dell optiplex gx620 0HH807 Motherboard?

I can add another 2gbs of ram to my comp would that be more performance per dollar over upgrading the cpu

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 6:25:39 PM

Hello... well your computer motherboard chipset is generations old... not much for upgrade options... for CPU... and Being a Dell...

You lack enough ram for most those games...

you can re-use Hardrive... video card...

Your Money Options?

A Walmart Sale computer would blow yours away... ; )

You'll get Windows 7 or 8 for free to keep forever...

How do those games play now for You?
December 31, 2012 7:56:16 PM

well im a teenage with no money so...

I have a dell optiplex 745 with a core 2, 2.13 ghz cpu I may just move the video card into this. How much better is this cpu compared to the pentium d and is this computer's motherboard chipset probably more upgradeable?
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 8:52:06 PM

:lol: 
Michael89 said:
well im a teenage with no money so...

I have a dell optiplex 745 with a core 2, 2.13 ghz cpu I may just move the video card into this. How much better is this cpu compared to the pentium d and is this computer's motherboard chipset probably more upgradeable?

heaps better and upgradable
stop buying dells and go custom then U can overclock too
January 1, 2013 2:05:03 AM

though is it impossible to overclock with a Pentium D? if it is possible would you suggest a ps upgrade from a 275 watt.
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 4:07:09 AM

Michael89 said:
though is it impossible to overclock with a Pentium D? if it is possible would you suggest a ps upgrade from a 275 watt.

i wouldnt suggest spending a cent on that rig its time to let it go let it rest in peace
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 4:09:08 AM

Michael89 said:

its not impossible to overclock with a pentium d, its just impossible to overclock with your pentium d
January 1, 2013 5:43:54 AM

jasont78 said:
its not impossible to overclock with a pentium d, its just impossible to overclock with your pentium d

:sweat: 
!