Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BF2 on 64bit operating sys?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 9:04:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Gday all
does anybody know if BF2 runs on 64bit windows?
I am picking up a new system(3500+ 64bit AMD,6800gt, GA-K8NS ultra mb,2gb
ram) and are deciding on normal XP or going for the 64bit windows OS.

cheers
Staf

thanks in advance!
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:08:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

i know on that setup u shud have no problems as i got amd soket939 3500
64bit,
2GB ram 256mb 6800 gt as well pluss 2*200gb maxtor hdisks running in raid
to speed up loading time
"stafo" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:42ef3715$0$11922$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Gday all
> does anybody know if BF2 runs on 64bit windows?
> I am picking up a new system(3500+ 64bit AMD,6800gt, GA-K8NS ultra mb,2gb
> ram) and are deciding on normal XP or going for the 64bit windows OS.
>
> cheers
> Staf
>
> thanks in advance!
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:08:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

"George Bostel" <george.bostel@ntlworld.com> wrote in
news:D EOHe.19746$Oe4.14315@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

> i know on that setup u shud have no problems as i got amd soket939
> 3500 64bit,
> 2GB ram 256mb 6800 gt as well pluss 2*200gb maxtor hdisks running in
> raid to speed up loading time

Note that you can run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit AMD. The problems occur when
you run XP's 64-bit edition, as the hardware vendors are slow in getting
64-bit drivers out.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:18:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

> Note that you can run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit AMD.

Not just OS, anything 32 bit will run (that runs on 32 bit processors).
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:26:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

"stafo" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:42ef3715$0$11922$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Gday all
> does anybody know if BF2 runs on 64bit windows?
> I am picking up a new system(3500+ 64bit AMD,6800gt, GA-K8NS ultra mb,2gb
> ram) and are deciding on normal XP or going for the 64bit windows OS.
>
> cheers
> Staf

No problem. At least, I have no problems.

Eirik
Amd 3200+
2 gig ram
windows xp 64 bit
August 3, 2005 11:13:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

"stafo" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:42ef3715$0$11922$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Gday all
> does anybody know if BF2 runs on 64bit windows?
> I am picking up a new system(3500+ 64bit AMD,6800gt, GA-K8NS ultra mb,2gb
> ram) and are deciding on normal XP or going for the 64bit windows OS.
>
> cheers
> Staf
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Hi there,

im using battlefield 2 on my 64 - bit mainboard 1 gig of ram, 3200 amd
64-bit cpu
Geforce 6600GT, SLI multi-gpu ready 128mb ddr3
O/S windows xp pro!

It works a treat mate :-)

Stu-kitch
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:46:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

There is a reason why Microsoft is not actively marketing this to
consumers yet, there simply is no reason to be running it. This is one
case where you should simply take their advice.

I have both versions installed on my AMD64 system. Although it is
surprisingly compatible, there are some driver and software issues that
are simply not a problem on IE. It does not run any of my apps any
faster, and there arent any 64-bit apps available anyway.

So dont create any unnecessary headaches for yourself. Windows XP Pro
is the best version of Windows available. I know it might seem to bug
you that you are running a 32-bit OS on a chip capable of 64-bit, but
try to ignore it.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:24:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

totally off topic. But I take it stafo that you are australian?!?!
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

brundlefly76@hotmail.com wrote in news:1123137996.642016.287870
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> There is a reason why Microsoft is not actively marketing this to
> consumers yet, there simply is no reason to be running it. This is one
> case where you should simply take their advice.

True, this is a case of MS playing catch-up with the other OS's which
have had 64-bit support (not to mention support for many other
architectures) for some time. MS has to provide this to keep customers
from jumping ship but doesn't have any other reason to support it. It
doesn't otherwise contribute to their bottom line.

If you want to tinker with 64-bit, load another partition with a 64-bit
Linux. I've got Fedora Core 4, both 32 and 64 bit, loaded on additional
partitions, and am doing game development on both. (nVidia has up-to-date
Linux drivers for both flavors.)

64 bits is most important for apps that need lots of memory or use a lot
of registers. I expect that the next generation of games will begin to
spill into the >2GB range which will cause problems with signed
comparisons, and those that spill above 4 will benefit even more.

If you happen to be coding and want to future-proof your code, be careful
not to assume that pointers are 32 bits. I made some initial attempts to
port some 32-bit game code and that was one assumption that kept biting
me, as the code was assuming pointers could be stored in U32's. (The code
was doing some "naughty" overloading of structures that were streamed
across the network.)
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:31:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

"sLiNky" <Slinky01@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123143867.566863.253350@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> totally off topic. But I take it stafo that you are australian?!?!
>

cheers for the replies ppl

and yes slinky aussie here

cheers
Stafo
aka "cournal_klink"
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:11:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Where abouts in Aus? I Live in brisbane. Well, atm i'm in japan on
exchange.

Good luck on the problem.

slink
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:45:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Oh I have been running 64-bit Linux distributions for my production
database servers since shortly after Suse AMD64 was released, which
makes a huge difference. Its hard to say how much difference 64-bit
makes for Linux in general because I only use Opteron chips, which kick
ass in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode.

The only problem I have ever had was mplayer, which has to be compiled
for 32-bit because of legacy binary codecs, and was unusally difficult
to force-compile to 32-bit on a 64-bit system.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 6:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:58:00 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>True, this is a case of MS playing catch-up with the other OS's which
>have had 64-bit support (not to mention support for many other
>architectures) for some time. MS has to provide this to keep customers
>from jumping ship but doesn't have any other reason to support it. It
>doesn't otherwise contribute to their bottom line.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Microsoft has kept up with
Intel/AMD/Cyrix hardware for some time, where have you been? Don't
you remember the whole 16-->32 bit move to teh 386? Intel and AMD
only recently have been offering affordable 64 bit solutions. Nobody
really needs 64 bit at home, but I would LOVE to be playing a 64 bit
version of BF2 TODAY. It will be a while for 64 bit games to come out
but it will be awesome!

>If you want to tinker with 64-bit, load another partition with a 64-bit
>Linux. I've got Fedora Core 4, both 32 and 64 bit, loaded on additional
>partitions, and am doing game development on both. (nVidia has up-to-date
>Linux drivers for both flavors.)

OK, so waht software apps can you run on there? bf2? Nope. Go to
CompUSA/Office Depot etc and see how many apps they sell for Linux.
More than ever before but only a handful. So what is the point of
running Linux if there is nothing to run on it?

>64 bits is most important for apps that need lots of memory or use a lot
>of registers. I expect that the next generation of games will begin to
>spill into the >2GB range which will cause problems with signed
>comparisons, and those that spill above 4 will benefit even more.

Absolutely, like databases, mail servers, etc. The memory addressing
is a big limitation these days especially with SQL if you have to use
PAE or AWE. It just doesn't work in some cases. SP3 helps address a
HUGE issue we uncovered which resuilted in handshake errors.

>If you happen to be coding and want to future-proof your code, be careful
>not to assume that pointers are 32 bits. I made some initial attempts to
>port some 32-bit game code and that was one assumption that kept biting
>me, as the code was assuming pointers could be stored in U32's. (The code
>was doing some "naughty" overloading of structures that were streamed
>across the network.)

Please tell that to Intuit who sill are writing programs like it is
1990 on Windows 3.1/95. I am looking for some good accounting
packages which are shitware like anything from Intuit.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:28:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Mike Smith <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in
news:f9k3i11hsktkm05ug7evvk9ffkvsc1q5pe@4ax.com:

> OK, so waht software apps can you run on there? bf2? Nope. Go to
> CompUSA/Office Depot etc and see how many apps they sell for Linux.
> More than ever before but only a handful. So what is the point of
> running Linux if there is nothing to run on it?

You've immediately eliminated a vast array of software by requiring that it
be retail or commercial.

Start here:

http://linuxgames.com/

Also here:

http://www.garagegames.com/
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:28:59 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Mike Smith <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in
>news:f9k3i11hsktkm05ug7evvk9ffkvsc1q5pe@4ax.com:
>
>> OK, so waht software apps can you run on there? bf2? Nope. Go to
>> CompUSA/Office Depot etc and see how many apps they sell for Linux.
>> More than ever before but only a handful. So what is the point of
>> running Linux if there is nothing to run on it?
>
>You've immediately eliminated a vast array of software by requiring that it
>be retail or commercial.

If Battlefield wasn't commercial, we wouldn't be here right now in a
BF newsgroup, plain and simple. There wouldn't be millions of people
playing it because without the money behind it to run the servers, pay
the coders, market the product you have a pretty low number of people
who actually know about the product regardless of how good it may be.

>Start here:
>
>http://linuxgames.com/

>Also here:
>
>http://www.garagegames.com/

Name one title on either of those sites with a comparable following
that BF2 has. I have only heard of a few titles on there and you will
probably argue that Unreal is as popular as BF but it is because of
Windows version's marketing of Unreal Touney that makes it so.

Don't get me wrong, I support Linux and the efforts but I just haven't
seen the awesome games like BF1942 and BF2 on a Linux box yet. It may
never happen because of the mindset that makes Linux great in the
first place.

I have dabbled in Linux over the years but I don't have the time to
spend on such projects since moving out of my parents house long ago.
Working for a living makes you want to just relax and play a game of
BF after a short installation and patch, not to master a specific
flavor of Linux, then learn to comple and install a program after
figuring out lots of other things about Linux in relatino to driver
incompatabilities, etc WHICH WILL BE A PROBLEM for anyone using Linux.

The strong points of Linux are diluted by the hundreds of flavors and
builds each of which are different enough to result in the usual
incompatabilities.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:04:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Mike Smith <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in
news:D ghgi11t3el8383kgia1qcthmr9uv6h8j8@4ax.com:

> If Battlefield wasn't commercial, we wouldn't be here right now in a
> BF newsgroup, plain and simple. There wouldn't be millions of people
> playing it because without the money behind it to run the servers, pay
> the coders, market the product you have a pretty low number of people
> who actually know about the product regardless of how good it may be.

You don't need money for any of that but the marketing, which is the only
thing that might be required for massive numbers. And that's because most
gamers are lemmings who buy based on pretty pictures, not quality of
play. There are independent servers not paid for by EA, and there are
indy developers who write code for the love of it. Often of better
quality than commercial code. There's no technical reason why a non-
commercial game can't succeed, just a human stupidity one.

> I have dabbled in Linux over the years but I don't have the time to
> spend on such projects since moving out of my parents house long ago.

That's too bad. I still get to dabble even though I make a good income.
Maybe it's just that you don't *enjoy* that kind of mental exercise. Few
do, of course. Hell, most people can't handle reading simple
instructions. These days, if restrooms didn't have icons on the door,
most people couldn't find them.

> Working for a living makes you want to just relax and play a game of
> BF after a short installation and patch, not to master a specific
> flavor of Linux, then learn to comple and install a program after
> figuring out lots of other things about Linux in relatino to driver
> incompatabilities, etc WHICH WILL BE A PROBLEM for anyone using Linux.
>
> The strong points of Linux are diluted by the hundreds of flavors and
> builds each of which are different enough to result in the usual
> incompatabilities.

You were aware that "Vista" (release name of Windows Longhorn) will have
a bunch of "flavors"? And they'll all be incompatible with XP, which is
imcompatible with 2k, ME, 98SE, 98, and 95? Not to mention the embedded
variations? Oh, they're similar, but commercial programmers either have
to drop many versions or do extensive and expensive testing to support
every version deployed in the wild.

Returning to your original question:

>> OK, so waht software apps can you run on there? bf2? Nope. Go to
>> CompUSA/Office Depot etc and see how many apps they sell for Linux.
>> More than ever before but only a handful. So what is the point of
>> running Linux if there is nothing to run on it?

Sendmail
Procmail
Dovecot
SpamAssassin
ClamAV
MIMEDefang

BIND
Apache
PHP
bf2d (the server)
MySQL
PostgreSQL
DHCPD
FreeRadius
Asterisk (PBX)
OpenVPN
TorrentFlux (server)

Subversion
gcc
Make

I didn't have to buy any of these down at CompUSA/Office Depot. They're
all free and high-quality software. (Well, maybe not bf2d. Free, yes....)
September 15, 2005 11:18:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96D233AC7EA31scratchmonkey@216.196.97.136...
> Mike Smith <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in
> news:D ghgi11t3el8383kgia1qcthmr9uv6h8j8@4ax.com:

>> I have dabbled in Linux over the years but I don't have the time to
>> spend on such projects since moving out of my parents house long ago.
>
> That's too bad. I still get to dabble even though I make a good income.
> Maybe it's just that you don't *enjoy* that kind of mental exercise. Few
> do, of course. Hell, most people can't handle reading simple
> instructions. These days, if restrooms didn't have icons on the door,
> most people couldn't find them.

Interesting. He merely said he didn't have time. You then respond and in
four sentences imply he's an idiot.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:24:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in
news:sfqdnYfcH87DnLfeRVn-oA@giganews.com:

> Interesting. He merely said he didn't have time. You then respond
> and in four sentences imply he's an idiot.

Everybody's an idiot about something. I'm not immune. Put me in a
schmoozing situation or a garage and you'll see just how much of an idiot I
can be. I would do terribly as a politician or a mechanic.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 6:27:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:18:33 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

>
>"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
>news:Xns96D233AC7EA31scratchmonkey@216.196.97.136...
>> Mike Smith <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in
>> news:D ghgi11t3el8383kgia1qcthmr9uv6h8j8@4ax.com:
>
>>> I have dabbled in Linux over the years but I don't have the time to
>>> spend on such projects since moving out of my parents house long ago.
>>
>> That's too bad. I still get to dabble even though I make a good income.
>> Maybe it's just that you don't *enjoy* that kind of mental exercise. Few
>> do, of course. Hell, most people can't handle reading simple
>> instructions. These days, if restrooms didn't have icons on the door,
>> most people couldn't find them.
>
>Interesting. He merely said he didn't have time. You then respond and in
>four sentences imply he's an idiot.
>


I noticed he didn't respond to my last post anyway. I did notice the
tone of the comment but chose to ignore it because I will readily
admit that I do not enjoy Linux hacking. I have too many other things
more important and my game playing time would be the likely casualty
if I spent the necessary time on learning Linux to the degree you need
to know it for what he is suggesting. I have played with it more than
I admit (various flavors from Slakware back in the early 90's to
Redhat, Fedora, SUSE and even SUN's Solarias and a few flavors of BSD.
Each have their strong points and I had a reason to get up to speed on
each of them over time. I don't let on like I am an expert but I can
tell you that Linux's strongest point of being open source can also be
it's weakest. As a result there will never be a game like Battlefield
2 on any Linux platform. The work-for-free developers (who do have to
work somewhere to make a living) and lack of strandards accross
platforms prohibits such a project. If it ever happens, then yes,
becoming a Linux expert would be worth while.
September 22, 2006 8:10:24 AM

Quote:
You were aware that "Vista" (release name of Windows Longhorn) will have
a bunch of "flavors"? And they'll all be incompatible with XP, which is
imcompatible with 2k, ME, 98SE, 98, and 95? Not to mention the embedded
variations? Oh, they're similar, but commercial programmers either have
to drop many versions or do extensive and expensive testing to support
every version deployed in the wild.



Not trying to bud into anyone elses conversation, or arguement, whatever you want to call it but i have a question if you will entertain it for a moment.

My question is how can you say XP and Vista are not compatable? I am testing Vista RC1 now and have read and researched all about it for the most part. Every topic that mentions the full release talks about an "Upgrade". Much like when we all upgraded from '95 to ME (which was the worst OS i have ever had BTW). Just pop in a disk and it simply upgrades vise a complete OS install. Am i wrong here or am i the idiot? LOL
!