16 bit Windows Subsystem Message

When i try to install games like Max Payne, and Need for Speed a message
comes us saying" 16 bit windows subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications. Choose Close to Terminate the application.

It does this for any game installation that i have.
Please help,
John

Hi Johnslow,

You can solve that problem by replacing the file:

Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Otherwise...

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"johnslow" <johnslow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EB33F74-A723-41FA-B5CF-6C7B79676052@microsoft.com...
| When i try to install games like Max Payne, and Need for Speed a message
| comes us saying" 16 bit windows subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
| The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
| applications. Choose Close to Terminate the application.
|
| It does this for any game installation that i have.
| Please help,
| John

Kelly T's solution was fantastic - I can now play my games to my heart's
content!

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Johnslow,
>
> You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
>
> Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> Otherwise...
>
> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>

> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>

> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "johnslow" <johnslow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EB33F74-A723-41FA-B5CF-6C7B79676052@microsoft.com...
> | When i try to install games like Max Payne, and Need for Speed a message
> | comes us saying" 16 bit windows subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
> | The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> | applications. Choose Close to Terminate the application.
> |
> | It does this for any game installation that i have.
> | Please help,
> | John

I'm glad you found that solution Hannah! :)

--

"HannahHannah" <HannahHannah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68C32F60-A5BB-489D-A6C0-4A5DF846132D@microsoft.com...
| Kelly T's solution was fantastic - I can now play my games to my heart's
| content!
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Johnslow,
| >
| > You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
| >
| > Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
| >
| > Otherwise...
| >
| > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
| > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
| >
| > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
| > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
| > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
| >

| > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
| > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
| > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
| > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
| >

| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >

| > "johnslow" <johnslow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EB33F74-A723-41FA-B5CF-6C7B79676052@microsoft.com...
| > | When i try to install games like Max Payne, and Need for Speed a message
| > | comes us saying" 16 bit windows subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
| > | The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
| > | applications. Choose Close to Terminate the application.
| > |