Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FZ5

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 8, 2005 12:05:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Hi Group,
I'm considering buying the FZ5. Any opinions on this camera? Any ideas
appreciated.
Bob

More about : fz5

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 8:05:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Bob wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I'm considering buying the FZ5. Any opinions on this camera? Any ideas
> appreciated.
> Bob

Bob,

If you look here on past posts to this group you will find that I have
said many times that I have been delighted with this camera. Excellent
lens, good performance and ergonomics. I would prefer a swivel LCD finder
like on my Nikon 8400. In use, I prefer to keep it on ISO 100 rather than
auto-ISO, as the noise at higher ISOs can be noticeable (this is a problem
with most point-and-shoot cameras). Night scenes or other occasions where
some grain adds atmosphere can be shot on auto, if you like. The image
stabilisation is great - hand-hold a 432mm lens - wow! Not too heavy, so
you can take the camera anywhere and everywhere. If you want a hot-show
flash, and an even larger aperture than the f/3.3 of the FZ5, choose the
larger FZ20 with its f/2.8 lens.

I'll offer just one sample picture:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b...

Taken at the Spanish Grand Prix this year, as it came from the camera but
reduced to 50% to keep the file size down.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 8:25:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Bob <bogus@dingbat.net> wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I'm considering buying the FZ5. Any opinions on this camera? Any ideas
> appreciated.
> Bob

Slightly more compact than the FZ20, not quite as robust. Lovely IS
Leica lens. The usual alternatives to the FZs would be Konica-Minolta -
A-series for the FZ20, Z-series for the FZ5.

The Olympus C770UZ is small and neat (C765 if movies aren't as important
to you) but lacks stabilisation.

If you're after older kit:

The Fuji S5500 is very cheap at the moment. I can't say I was impressed,
I thought the images were a bit murky and noisy, but some people swear
by them.

And the Nikon 5700, which I loved *a lot* (but it was much dearer than
the FZ10) is coming down in price, at least in the UK. A real bargain
and a camera that looks good, feels good and takes excellent photos.

And if you want the latest'n'greatest:

You might wait for the Canon S2 IS; the S1 is too low-resolution to be
useful.

The Sony Cybershot H1 is coming soon too, but I can't say the advance
press has impressed me much.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB
Related resources
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:10:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

"Bob" <bogus@dingbat.net> wrote in message
news:qPDpe.65869$Wr.36602@fed1read04...
> Hi Group,
> I'm considering buying the FZ5. Any opinions on this camera? Any ideas
> appreciated.

Mine (I bought it for my wife) is working very well. It takes very good
photos and is easy to use (the simple mode is all that many folks will
need). It even takes sharp photos at full zoom, hand held. Here is one
example:
http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/29130...

There are three minor negatives:
1/ The EVF is mediocre.
2/ No hot shoe.
3/ No manual focus (given the EVF, not a big issue).

The other problem is that my wife complains that I am using her camera too
much! I have a 20D and a 300D and honestly prefer the Z5 for most
"take-with-me" work.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 10:20:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Charles Schuler wrote:
[]
> There are three minor negatives:
> 1/ The EVF is mediocre.
> 2/ No hot shoe.
> 3/ No manual focus (given the EVF, not a big issue).
>
> The other problem is that my wife complains that I am using her
> camera too much! I have a 20D and a 300D and honestly prefer the FZ5
> for most "take-with-me" work.

I do agree about (1). The best EVF I've used has been the VGA-resolution
EVF on the Minolta A2, but I see they've dropped that on current cameras
(perhaps to cut cost?).

(2) and (3) you can get in the Panasonic FZ5's bigger brother - the FZ20.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:06:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Charles Schuler wrote:
> "Bob" <bogus@dingbat.net> wrote in message
> news:qPDpe.65869$Wr.36602@fed1read04...
>
>>Hi Group,
>>I'm considering buying the FZ5. Any opinions on this camera? Any ideas
>>appreciated.
>
>
> Mine (I bought it for my wife) is working very well. It takes very good
> photos and is easy to use (the simple mode is all that many folks will
> need). It even takes sharp photos at full zoom, hand held. Here is one
> example:
> http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/29130...

Nice. Given the lack of manual focus, how much fiddling did it take
to get the camera to focus on the subject and not on anything in front
or behind? I'd really rather have the smaller FZ5, but the way the
manual focus works on the FZ10/20 is really sweet. If you can easily
get the FZ5 to focus on something it doesn't consider to be the subject,
and if you can tell from the display that it has actually achieved
focus, I might settle for the FZ5 instead of the FZ20. Comments?

Paul Allen
June 10, 2005 5:41:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Thanks to all for your very helpful replies. I ordered the FZ5 today. With
the silver body.
Bob

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:4dRpe.47617$G8.5517@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Charles Schuler wrote:
> []
>> There are three minor negatives:
>> 1/ The EVF is mediocre.
>> 2/ No hot shoe.
>> 3/ No manual focus (given the EVF, not a big issue).
>>
>> The other problem is that my wife complains that I am using her
>> camera too much! I have a 20D and a 300D and honestly prefer the FZ5
>> for most "take-with-me" work.
>
> I do agree about (1). The best EVF I've used has been the VGA-resolution
> EVF on the Minolta A2, but I see they've dropped that on current cameras
> (perhaps to cut cost?).
>
> (2) and (3) you can get in the Panasonic FZ5's bigger brother - the FZ20.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:22:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

> Nice. Given the lack of manual focus, how much fiddling did it take
> to get the camera to focus on the subject and not on anything in front
> or behind? I'd really rather have the smaller FZ5, but the way the
> manual focus works on the FZ10/20 is really sweet. If you can easily
> get the FZ5 to focus on something it doesn't consider to be the subject,
> and if you can tell from the display that it has actually achieved
> focus, I might settle for the FZ5 instead of the FZ20. Comments?

Hi Paul. The FZ5 has a bracketed focus area in the center of the EVF
screen. It allows one to select the image portion to be in focus and works
well. Of course, auto focus can be confused by low-light and low-contrast
areas. When the focus gets confused, it is most often readily apparent on
the EVF as a very blurry image. In those cases, a release from half-press
and a second half-press usually works. After a half-press and a decent
image in the EVF, one can move the camera a bit to recompose and then fire
the shutter.

I am not getting 100% in-focus shots, but what the heck it's a digital
camera and taking some extra shots is all that's usually necessary. My
success rate is high ... I'd guess 90% or better.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:34:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Charles Schuler wrote:
>>Nice. Given the lack of manual focus, how much fiddling did it take
>>to get the camera to focus on the subject and not on anything in front
>>or behind? I'd really rather have the smaller FZ5, but the way the
>>manual focus works on the FZ10/20 is really sweet. If you can easily
>>get the FZ5 to focus on something it doesn't consider to be the subject,
>>and if you can tell from the display that it has actually achieved
>>focus, I might settle for the FZ5 instead of the FZ20. Comments?
>
>
> Hi Paul. The FZ5 has a bracketed focus area in the center of the EVF
> screen. It allows one to select the image portion to be in focus and works
> well. Of course, auto focus can be confused by low-light and low-contrast
> areas. When the focus gets confused, it is most often readily apparent on
> the EVF as a very blurry image. In those cases, a release from half-press
> and a second half-press usually works. After a half-press and a decent
> image in the EVF, one can move the camera a bit to recompose and then fire
> the shutter.

Hmmm... It sounds like you're saying you can pick the spot in the
frame that gets focussed. When I look at the FZ5 manual, I see page
75 talking about 9-area and 3-area AF modes. The non-English speaker
who wrote the text says things like, "The camera focuses on any of the
9 focus areas. You can record a picture in free composition without
limiting the position of the subject." That and the accompanying
viewfinder screenshots suggest that the camera spots to focus on all
by itself. Is there a way to tell the camera which of the 9 (or 3)
spots to focus on? Or do you just half-press, pan around until the
camera picks the focus you want, and then reframe and shoot?

> I am not getting 100% in-focus shots, but what the heck it's a digital
> camera and taking some extra shots is all that's usually necessary. My
> success rate is high ... I'd guess 90% or better.

Yeah, I'm getting perhaps 80-90% focus success with my old Oly C700UZ.
The trouble is that I don't usually discover that a shot was out of
focus until I get home and look at it on the big screen. The camera's
only got a 1.5" display. The FZ5's got a 1.8" display, but the FZ20
has both that sweet manual focus and a 2" display. But it's bulkier
and a bit more money. Gack! What to do? :-)

Thanks for the feedback!

Paul Allen
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:11:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

> Hmmm... It sounds like you're saying you can pick the spot in the
> frame that gets focussed. When I look at the FZ5 manual, I see page
> 75 talking about 9-area and 3-area AF modes. The non-English speaker
> who wrote the text says things like, "The camera focuses on any of the
> 9 focus areas. You can record a picture in free composition without
> limiting the position of the subject." That and the accompanying
> viewfinder screenshots suggest that the camera spots to focus on all
> by itself. Is there a way to tell the camera which of the 9 (or 3)
> spots to focus on? Or do you just half-press, pan around until the
> camera picks the focus you want, and then reframe and shoot?

The manual, on page 31, shows one AF area in the center of the screen. I'd
check it right now but the camera is out with my wife (I bought the camera
for her but do use it a fair amount). On page 75, my manual discusses audio
recording and meter modes? Ohmygosh ... there is another "FZ5" camera (I
seem to remember now). I am talking about the Panasonic Lumix model.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:20:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:3Y6dnVS6Ip-YQCzfRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
>> Hmmm... It sounds like you're saying you can pick the spot in the
>> frame that gets focussed. When I look at the FZ5 manual, I see page
>> 75 talking about 9-area and 3-area AF modes. The non-English speaker
>> who wrote the text says things like, "The camera focuses on any of the
>> 9 focus areas. You can record a picture in free composition without
>> limiting the position of the subject." That and the accompanying
>> viewfinder screenshots suggest that the camera spots to focus on all
>> by itself. Is there a way to tell the camera which of the 9 (or 3)
>> spots to focus on? Or do you just half-press, pan around until the
>> camera picks the focus you want, and then reframe and shoot?
>
> The manual, on page 31, shows one AF area in the center of the screen.
> I'd check it right now but the camera is out with my wife (I bought the
> camera for her but do use it a fair amount). On page 75, my manual
> discusses audio recording and meter modes? Ohmygosh ... there is another
> "FZ5" camera (I seem to remember now). I am talking about the Panasonic
> Lumix model.

OK, looked again and found it on page 76. You are correct. There are three
AF modes: 9 area, 3 area and 1 area. Now that I know that, I have something
else to experiment with. (The index for this manual is terrible!)
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:58:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

David J Taylor wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
>
>>Hi Group,
>>I'm considering buying the FZ5. Any opinions on this camera? Any ideas
>>appreciated.
>>Bob
>>
>>
>
>Bob,
>
>If you look here on past posts to this group you will find that I have
>said many times that I have been delighted with this camera. Excellent
>lens, good performance and ergonomics. I would prefer a swivel LCD finder
>like on my Nikon 8400.
>

Now that the Canon S2 is out and there have been a few reviews I would
like to ask you a question even though you may not have used the Canon
S2 or maybe even held one.

If you did not have a point and shoot and decided on getting one which
would you choose (and why) if you were to choose between the Canon S2
and the Panasonic FZ5. I plan on making that choice at the end of the
summer. Currently I have a borrowed Sony DSC-P9 and I hate it even
though the results are acceptable. The LCD is washed out most of the
time, you cannot read the settings in average light, and no information
in the range finder. These are basic features that are important to me.

> In use, I prefer to keep it on ISO 100 rather than
>auto-ISO, as the noise at higher ISOs can be noticeable (this is a problem
>with most point-and-shoot cameras). Night scenes or other occasions where
>some grain adds atmosphere can be shot on auto, if you like. The image
>stabilisation is great - hand-hold a 432mm lens - wow! Not too heavy, so
>you can take the camera anywhere and everywhere. If you want a hot-show
>flash, and an even larger aperture than the f/3.3 of the FZ5, choose the
>larger FZ20 with its f/2.8 lens.
>
>I'll offer just one sample picture:
>
> http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/2005-05-06-0953-28-b...
>
>Taken at the Spanish Grand Prix this year, as it came from the camera but
>reduced to 50% to keep the file size down.
>
>Cheers,
>David
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:11:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

measekite wrote:
[]
> Now that the Canon S2 is out and there have been a few reviews I would
> like to ask you a question even though you may not have used the Canon
> S2 or maybe even held one.
>
> If you did not have a point and shoot and decided on getting one which
> would you choose (and why) if you were to choose between the Canon S2
> and the Panasonic FZ5. I plan on making that choice at the end of the
> summer. Currently I have a borrowed Sony DSC-P9 and I hate it even
> though the results are acceptable. The LCD is washed out most of the
> time, you cannot read the settings in average light, and no
> information in the range finder. These are basic features that are
> important to me.

It would be a difficult choice. You are right that I haven't handled a
Canon S2 IS as yet, and when I helped my wife make the choice between the
Canon S1 IS and the Panasonic FZ20 there really was no comparison - the
FZ20 wins hands down. The FZ20 felt as if it would be a reliable, sturdy
camera compared to the Canon, had more pixels and a much better lens.

Were I choosing today? I prefer the black colour and the single battery
of the FZ5, I prefer the swivel LCD finder on the S2 IS. I don't like all
the gimmicks on the S2 IS - they seem to me to be there more for marketing
than to do anything useful. Whether or not the handling characteristics
are sufficiently different I can't say (do you need to operate the camera
with gloves on, for example?).

If making candids with the camera in unusual places is important, the
swivel LCD would probably swing the decision, but I'm not going to trade
in my FZ5 just yet.

Cheers,
David
!