Help a N00b with his First Build!

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hey!

I am undertaking my first build and would love some feedback. I would like this computer to be able to game at a high level (but w/o needing to spend for the absolute highest gear), do productivity stuff, and play videos.

Here is a link to my proposed build...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DLQD

Does everything match up properly?
Is this a good price point for something that's way better than some store bought pre-assembled rig (but not needing to be top of the line?
Any suggestions on switching things up for better results without adding cost?

I debated doing some budget rig (~$500), but then I realized that it wouldn't game well enough and at that point I might as well buy a blu-ray player and a netbook. I am already at about the max $$$ I am willing to spend with the build from above.

I have already learned so much from the community by reading articles and forum posts! I am really amped up to take a crack at my first build and save myself the anguish of the Dell/Best Buy overpriced garbage.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Thanks for the great advice! As for connecting to the internet... are the wireless adapters you plug in to a USB port fine? Do I have to do the kind that goes inside the computer?

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Yea there are ones that go into the usb port, but the ones that use a pci port are usually better. Unless you plan of moving the adapter around, I would get a pci one instead. If you can, its better to go wired with a desktop. That way you don't have to deal with wireless issues. Plus its cheaper and faster.

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
The reason I selected the setup that I did was the assumption that overclocking is a good thing to do...

I don't know ANYTHING about it though...

Any advice on the basics and also what type of cooler (affordable) that I should get?

Thanks again!

Yes, it's fine, though, the pcie wireless adapters are better, you have space for it in the motherboard.
This one should do : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166082

For an aftermarket cooler get the cm hyper 212 evo or plus, those are cheap and effective.
There's plenty of guides out there for overclocking the cpu.

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

That one looks good... I assume that Win7 is the way to go? I have both used and read reviews about Win8... and it seems to me that its more headache than improvement.

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

What do you think about the 7850? It is about $50 cheaper and has the same deal on the games coming with it.

Emelth

Distinguished
Add CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo)
Drop BR player to a regular DVD drive
Put extra money towards better gpu

or

Since u said you know nothing about OC'ing

Drop the to a i5 3550k
Drop Z77 to a cheap H77
Dont grab a CPU cooler
Keep ur BR player
Up your GPU to a 7950
and possibly even fit a SSD into the budget

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I love your second idea... especially since I end up with a better GPU and potentially an SSD... I guess I have just never really understood overclocking. Is it critical to getting high-end performance for gaming, etc... or is it just what the "hardcore" do to squeeze every ounce of power out?

Emelth

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.68 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($288.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $963.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 20:29 EST-0500)

Emelth

Distinguished

Just re-read your first post.... oh hell no drop that damn BR player if ur getting it for shits and giggles

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

The 3570k is $189 at MicroCenter right now... would it be insane to buy it and NOT overclock it (since its cheap) instead of getting like a 3470 ($149 @MC right now)...

Snarktopus

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I know this as cloudy a question as can be... but is there REALLY that much to be had from overclocking a CPU? Now that you provided this great alternative... I'm thinking the 3470 for $149 and the cheaper motherboard... then ramping up the GPU up a notch or two.

TRENDING THREADS