Sign in with
Your question

Help a N00b with his First Build!

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 10:28:45 PM

Hey!

I am undertaking my first build and would love some feedback. I would like this computer to be able to game at a high level (but w/o needing to spend for the absolute highest gear), do productivity stuff, and play videos.

Here is a link to my proposed build...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DLQD

Does everything match up properly?
Is this a good price point for something that's way better than some store bought pre-assembled rig (but not needing to be top of the line?
Any suggestions on switching things up for better results without adding cost?

I debated doing some budget rig (~$500), but then I realized that it wouldn't game well enough and at that point I might as well buy a blu-ray player and a netbook. I am already at about the max $$$ I am willing to spend with the build from above.

I have already learned so much from the community by reading articles and forum posts! I am really amped up to take a crack at my first build and save myself the anguish of the Dell/Best Buy overpriced garbage.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

More about : n00b build

February 15, 2013 10:35:13 PM

Some changes that i made, overall your build is good, but for gaming, the 7870 tahiti le is better and not that much expensive, and has two free games, the corsair CX600 is actually cheaper than the CX500, since it has a 13$ off promo code, pcpartpicker doesn't show it.
Here's the updated list : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DM0e

If you plan to overclock get an aftermarket cooler.

m
l
February 15, 2013 10:40:16 PM

djangoringo said:
Some changes that i made, overall your build is good, but for gaming, the 7870 tahiti le is better and not that much expensive, and has two free games, the corsair CX600 is actually cheaper than the CX500, since it has a 13$ off promo code, pcpartpicker doesn't show it.

Thanks for the great advice! As for connecting to the internet... are the wireless adapters you plug in to a USB port fine? Do I have to do the kind that goes inside the computer?
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 10:46:10 PM

Yea there are ones that go into the usb port, but the ones that use a pci port are usually better. Unless you plan of moving the adapter around, I would get a pci one instead. If you can, its better to go wired with a desktop. That way you don't have to deal with wireless issues. Plus its cheaper and faster.
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:51:36 PM

The reason I selected the setup that I did was the assumption that overclocking is a good thing to do...

I don't know ANYTHING about it though...

Any advice on the basics and also what type of cooler (affordable) that I should get?

Thanks again!
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:51:46 PM

Snarktopus said:
Thanks for the great advice! As for connecting to the internet... are the wireless adapters you plug in to a USB port fine? Do I have to do the kind that goes inside the computer?

Yes, it's fine, though, the pcie wireless adapters are better, you have space for it in the motherboard.
This one should do : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For an aftermarket cooler get the cm hyper 212 evo or plus, those are cheap and effective.
There's plenty of guides out there for overclocking the cpu.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:17:45 PM

djangoringo said:
For an aftermarket cooler get the cm hyper 212 evo or plus, those are cheap and effective.There's plenty of guides out there for overclocking the cpu.

That one looks good... I assume that Win7 is the way to go? I have both used and read reviews about Win8... and it seems to me that its more headache than improvement.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:19:00 PM

djangoringo said:

What do you think about the 7850? It is about $50 cheaper and has the same deal on the games coming with it.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:25:02 PM

Add CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo)
Drop BR player to a regular DVD drive
Put extra money towards better gpu

or

Since u said you know nothing about OC'ing

Drop the to a i5 3550k
Drop Z77 to a cheap H77
Dont grab a CPU cooler
Keep ur BR player
Up your GPU to a 7950
and possibly even fit a SSD into the budget
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:27:44 PM

Emelth said:
Add CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo)
Drop BR player to a regular DVD drive
Put extra money towards better gpu

or

Since u said you know nothing about OC'ing

Drop the to a i5 3550k
Drop Z77 to a cheap H77
Dont grab a CPU cooler
Keep ur BR player
Up your GPU to a 7950
and possibly even fit a SSD into the budget

I love your second idea... especially since I end up with a better GPU and potentially an SSD... I guess I have just never really understood overclocking. Is it critical to getting high-end performance for gaming, etc... or is it just what the "hardcore" do to squeeze every ounce of power out?
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:29:23 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.68 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($288.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $963.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 20:29 EST-0500)
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:32:11 PM

I'm guessing your on a $1000 budget

Drop case down to a $50-$75 one that you like (dont get me wrong I love Corsair Cases)
Drop BR if you want to put more towards GPU
blah blah blah this can go on
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:34:24 PM

Snarktopus said:
Hey!

at that point I might as well buy a blu-ray player and a netbook.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Just re-read your first post.... oh hell no drop that damn BR player if ur getting it for shits and giggles
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:37:13 PM

Emelth said:
Just re-read your first post.... oh hell no drop that damn BR player if ur getting it for shits and giggles

The 3570k is $189 at MicroCenter right now... would it be insane to buy it and NOT overclock it (since its cheap) instead of getting like a 3470 ($149 @MC right now)...
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:40:06 PM

didnt know you were buying one from there else i would have said that
m
l
Anonymous
February 15, 2013 11:42:23 PM

SSD.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:44:18 PM

Emelth said:
didnt know you were buying one from there else i would have said that

I know this as cloudy a question as can be... but is there REALLY that much to be had from overclocking a CPU? Now that you provided this great alternative... I'm thinking the 3470 for $149 and the cheaper motherboard... then ramping up the GPU up a notch or two.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:52:08 PM

OC'ing is all about how you play with the processor in 4 years when ur system starts becoming 'old' if you OC it, it will push out a much needed bust for you to keep your system with you longer IMO
m
l
!