Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

One monitor goes black while gaming

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 15, 2013 10:33:24 PM

So I have 2 monitors hooked up to my Nvidia GTX 660Ti and whenever I game one screen goes to gaming, but the other screen just goes black. When I'm not gaming both monitors work perfectly fine, and when i quit the game the other monitor comes back on. I used to have this problem with my old build but it just started happening with this one, and I never found a solution. Are my drivers not working or is the card bad? or what is going on here? Thanks.
-Adil

More about : monitor black gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
February 16, 2013 12:58:44 AM

I think the game you play doesn't have dual monitor support. Are you sure it does?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2013 1:05:20 AM

I heard in another thread recently that some games will cause the other screen to go black. Do all games do this or just one or two that you tried? I use a GTX460 and when I play TF2 the second monitor will stay on. Might want to give that one a shot and see.

Both of mine are hooked up over DVI. Any chance that has something to do with it?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 2:53:21 AM

TheN00bBuilder said:
I think the game you play doesn't have dual monitor support. Are you sure it does?


I know for a fact Strike Suit Zero does because I enabled it, but both screen flash black when I click off the game on the other monitor...
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 2:54:37 AM

4745454b said:
I heard in another thread recently that some games will cause the other screen to go black. Do all games do this or just one or two that you tried? I use a GTX460 and when I play TF2 the second monitor will stay on. Might want to give that one a shot and see.

Both of mine are hooked up over DVI. Any chance that has something to do with it?


One screen is HDMI and the others is VGA...could this have something to do with it? I have two unused DVI ports but my monitors don't support them.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 24, 2013 12:02:31 PM

An analog signal like VGA is what I was thinking of. But I can't test as I don't have a GPU here that has a VGA port on it. I do know for the games I play the second monitor stays on. (audio surf, Blur, TF2.) Pretty sure even D2 allows it. I have yet to have anything odd happen. I leave my IM windows up on the second monitor so when someone tries to reach me I'll see it. And know if its worth alt-tabbing out of the game.

Maybe try switching the monitors in windows? Have the VGA one be primary while the HDMI is second? Tbh I'm not sure analog is even the issue.
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 2:43:17 PM

4745454b said:
An analog signal like VGA is what I was thinking of. But I can't test as I don't have a GPU here that has a VGA port on it. I do know for the games I play the second monitor stays on. (audio surf, Blur, TF2.) Pretty sure even D2 allows it. I have yet to have anything odd happen. I leave my IM windows up on the second monitor so when someone tries to reach me I'll see it. And know if its worth alt-tabbing out of the game.

Maybe try switching the monitors in windows? Have the VGA one be primary while the HDMI is second? Tbh I'm not sure analog is even the issue.


Okay here's something stranger still which completely baffles me. The HDMI monitor is the primary onviously because its better for gaming, but when I power up my system it loads completely on the VGA screen all the way up to the log in screen for Windows, and only then does my so called "primary" monitor turn on. Is this weird? it seems weird to me...
How much betters is DVI than VGA if I just wanted to replace my monitor? Would it be worth the money? As in what's the price range I'd be looking at for a good resolution monitor? (Which I don't want to particularly do because monitors are expensive and I just installed a water cooling loop in my pc)
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 24, 2013 3:01:46 PM

No that's normal.

I wouldn't say any are better then the other. As least visually. DVI/HDMI is preferred as any encrypted content won't play on an analog cable. VGA also tops out sooner then the digital guys, but I think all can handle 1080 just fine.

I'm kinda an oddball for parts. Just bought my third monitor off ebay. I've spent a total of around $300 now for three 25.4" monitors. Upgrading my GPU next to run a huge eyefinity setup. Buying used monitors hasn't hurt me in any way. ~$100 each isn't bad in my book. This is obviously a personal choice.
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 4:57:13 PM

4745454b said:
No that's normal.

I wouldn't say any are better then the other. As least visually. DVI/HDMI is preferred as any encrypted content won't play on an analog cable. VGA also tops out sooner then the digital guys, but I think all can handle 1080 just fine.

I'm kinda an oddball for parts. Just bought my third monitor off ebay. I've spent a total of around $300 now for three 25.4" monitors. Upgrading my GPU next to run a huge eyefinity setup. Buying used monitors hasn't hurt me in any way. ~$100 each isn't bad in my book. This is obviously a personal choice.


Same, I always buy mine used or refurbished, they still work perfectly fine. The only thing is that i SWEAR sometimes both monitors stay on, yet at other times one goes black (and this is playing the same game different times) and i just cant figure out for the life of me why
m
0
l
!