Solved

Help Upgrading GPU + buying W7 (200-300$)

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks (2/15/13 to 3/1/13)

Budget Range: 200-300$ Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Streaming movies/videos, internet browsing, etc.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: GPU **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**
my PSU is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg / no preference

Parts Preferences: AMD or nVidia by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: not necessary

SLI or Crossfire: nope

Additional Comments: I'm not sure if this is important, but the motherboard that I have is BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
I want to be able to play Syrim, Starcraft 2, and other somewhat demanding games.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: my last GPU crapped out, the warranty is all used up and I'm tired of using the Intel processor graphics due to the performance restrictions.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help upgrading buying
  1. Also, not sure if the size will be an issue, but here is my case
  2. Wait, so are you upgrading your PSU + GPU or what? Also, that's a nice card you had. I have a 2GB OC myself.
  3. Oops, reading that does seem rather ambiguous, sorry. I'm only upgrading the GPU and I want to buy W7 as well (the copy i have right now isn't fully functional). I put the PSU in there cause the template told me to, and the wattage is important when buying a GPU, right?

edit: Yeah, I really liked the card I had, but it had some major heat issues and it would cause my computer to crash a lot and it's too late to RMA now. :( I took it out and have been using the Intel graphics from my i5 2400 cpu, and it hasn't crashed for a few weeks.
  4. Best answer
    Well I'm not that experienced in the middle price point cards, but the 7850 is like a 570, non OCed of course. You can probably easily OC it to beat the 580 even.
  5. Also, it can run Skyrim Ultra (no AA) with no problem at 40-60 frames.
  6. Thanks for giving me a starting place to start looking!
    So i've found the Radeon HD 7870 which needs 500W of PSU (which I have) but on the AMD website it has a list of certified PSU's, and mine isn't on the list... do you think that it would really matter? I mean, i have the recommended wattage, it's just not on their list.
    thought?
  7. Your PSU is decent. Companies just want more money, so they get put on their list. OCZ is a solid company (amazing SSDs by the way). If you can shell out a slight amount more for the 7870, that would do you good.
  8. Sweet! thank you much for the recommendations and the information. Also, I'll be getting Bioshock Infinite and Tomb raider for free! :O What a steal.
  9. Np. Now you can select best answer so this thread doesn't get mistaken as incomplete.

Can't wait for Infinite btw. After playing Colonial Marines, I need something that doesn't have the poopiest AI.
  10. Best answer selected by Aerodet2.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product