Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Upgrading GPU + buying W7 (200-300$)

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2013 10:47:44 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks (2/15/13 to 3/1/13)

Budget Range: 200-300$ Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Streaming movies/videos, internet browsing, etc.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: GPU **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**
my PSU is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg / no preference

Parts Preferences: AMD or nVidia by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: not necessary

SLI or Crossfire: nope

Additional Comments: I'm not sure if this is important, but the motherboard that I have is BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
I want to be able to play Syrim, Starcraft 2, and other somewhat demanding games.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: my last GPU crapped out, the warranty is all used up and I'm tired of using the Intel processor graphics due to the performance restrictions.
February 15, 2013 10:56:01 PM

Also, not sure if the size will be an issue, but here is my case
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:58:52 PM

Wait, so are you upgrading your PSU + GPU or what? Also, that's a nice card you had. I have a 2GB OC myself.
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 11:00:50 PM

Oops, reading that does seem rather ambiguous, sorry. I'm only upgrading the GPU and I want to buy W7 as well (the copy i have right now isn't fully functional). I put the PSU in there cause the template told me to, and the wattage is important when buying a GPU, right?

edit: Yeah, I really liked the card I had, but it had some major heat issues and it would cause my computer to crash a lot and it's too late to RMA now. :(  I took it out and have been using the Intel graphics from my i5 2400 cpu, and it hasn't crashed for a few weeks.
m
l

Best solution

February 15, 2013 11:25:24 PM

Well I'm not that experienced in the middle price point cards, but the 7850 is like a 570, non OCed of course. You can probably easily OC it to beat the 580 even.
February 15, 2013 11:28:05 PM

Also, it can run Skyrim Ultra (no AA) with no problem at 40-60 frames.
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:14:23 AM

Thanks for giving me a starting place to start looking!
So i've found the Radeon HD 7870 which needs 500W of PSU (which I have) but on the AMD website it has a list of certified PSU's, and mine isn't on the list... do you think that it would really matter? I mean, i have the recommended wattage, it's just not on their list.
thought?
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:18:57 AM

Your PSU is decent. Companies just want more money, so they get put on their list. OCZ is a solid company (amazing SSDs by the way). If you can shell out a slight amount more for the 7870, that would do you good.
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:24:53 AM

Sweet! thank you much for the recommendations and the information. Also, I'll be getting Bioshock Infinite and Tomb raider for free! :o  What a steal.
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:29:06 AM

Np. Now you can select best answer so this thread doesn't get mistaken as incomplete.

Can't wait for Infinite btw. After playing Colonial Marines, I need something that doesn't have the poopiest AI.
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:31:18 AM

Best answer selected by Aerodet2.
m
l
!