New Build Problem

solacedagony

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
I just received all my components from NewEgg and started assembling them. I got everything installed and pressed the power button to observe a single quick beep and the power shutting down in about half a second. So I started removing parts. I removed everything except CPU, motherboard and PSU. I found that when I remove the 8 pin CPU power connector, the system boots. When it is connected, it beeps once and turns off.

Does this mean I have a bad CPU or a bad PSU? I'm going to see if I can borrow a PSU from a friend to try but I have a feeling it's not the PSU.

Asrock P67 Fatality Performance Motherboard
Core i5-3570K CPU
Corsair CX600 PSU

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Jake

solacedagony

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
I tried a spare working PSU and had basically the same effect. This PSU would stay on with the 8pin CPU power connector on but the mobo speaker would make a terrible sound so I shut it off immediately.

solacedagony

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Thanks for the response. Hmm, well that was an oversight on my part. I can't believe that's not in big bold letters on their website.

I'm guessing I can't get to the BIOS menu without CPU power. Any idea how to update a BIOS without booting up?

solacedagony

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Only other CPU I have is an LGA775 :/

After you told me this last night, I did some digging. It looks like you have to physically request the updated BIOS chip from Asrock and swap it out. Otherwise, like you said with a supported CPU, there seems to be no way (unless I guess you can flash the BIOS chip on your own).