Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How is my Gaming Rig (part 1)

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 16, 2013 1:09:27 AM

I want to check with everyone before I get the parts I'm still a noob and this seems high end to me but I'm not expert help me if you have part with the same quality or better then let me know I just want to make it Awesome long lasting fun and enjoyable.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 -$15.00 FREE $214.99 Newegg

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $119.99 FREE $119.99 Newegg

Memory Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.99 FREE $39.99 Newegg

Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card $290.99 -$20.00 $9.99 $280.98 SuperBiiz

Case NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 FREE $49.99 Amazon

Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply $46.99 -$20.00 FREE $26.99 Newegg

Optical Drive Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer $17.99 FREE $17.99 Newegg


More about : gaming rig part

February 16, 2013 1:24:06 AM

Not much overhead in the power supply but it will work
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:27:49 AM

i have a very similar build, i have a 600 watt and 7870 though, and mine works great. I think you will be happy with this.
(edit) actually the one thing i would change myself is, saving a bit of money and getting the intel 15 3470 and the asrock extreme h77 pro4, its useless having the other two if your not overclocking.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 1:38:33 AM

Mapsx15 said:
i have a very similar build, i have a 600 watt and 7870 though, and mine works great. I think you will be happy with this.
(edit) actually the one thing i would change myself is, saving a bit of money and getting the intel 15 3470 and the asrock extreme h77 pro4, its useless having the other two if your not overclocking.

Hmm do you think this set up will play Skyrim Call of Duty and MMOrpgs at Max? Also Overclocking means pushing a cpu pass it's limit ( I'm asking this because I'm a noob at over clocking) and can you link what I should get instead
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:44:09 AM

you can get them elsewhere for cheaper.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:45:13 AM

It will play those games just fine.

Overclocking is when you make the CPU run faster than it is at stock, not necessarily past its limits.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:01:21 AM

sorry try this...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g1r4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g1r4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g1r4/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Total: $237.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-15 23:00 EST-0500)
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:01:49 AM

When you say play those games fine do you mean at Max or lower?
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:03:47 AM

I play Max on everything, with, as i said a similar build.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:04:00 AM

For those games, wouldnt be surprised if you could crank every setting and have a solid 60FPS.
For games like BF3, Crysis 2 you could probably do max settings if you reduce things like AA.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:52:36 AM

Mapsx15 said:
I play Max on everything, with, as i said a similar build.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 3:05:10 AM

Anti-Aliasing. its where the computer downscales the resolution of textures to fit the resolution of the screen. This can end up looking fairly horrible, so a higher AA does more calculations to make it better.
But that being said, at 1080p, 2X Anti-Aliasing is plenty.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:08:19 PM

manofchalk said:
Anti-Aliasing. its where the computer downscales the resolution of textures to fit the resolution of the screen. This can end up looking fairly horrible, so a higher AA does more calculations to make it better.
But that being said, at 1080p, 2X Anti-Aliasing is plenty.

Ah thanks I get it now but tell me how good is my AA will things look horrible?
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 7:17:55 PM

Anti- Aliasing is a setting in the game, you can change it between off, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x (sometimes 32x). However at 1080p, beyond 4x leads to no real visual difference and tanks performance.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 7:28:34 PM

So it's a good rig that is high end?
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 7:52:32 PM

Yea, its a pretty good gaming rig. Dont think you'l be dissatisfied with its performance.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 11:14:26 PM

Yay I shall buy parts now thanks so much
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 1:37:05 PM

manofchalk said:
Yea, its a pretty good gaming rig. Dont think you'l be dissatisfied with its performance.

Quick question what's the only downside to this build? ( the thing it won't excel in)
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 7:16:03 PM

It would struggle in heavily CPU and memory dependant tasks, so running multiple virtual machines or high end video editing.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 1:12:00 PM

manofchalk said:
It would struggle in heavily CPU and memory dependant tasks, so running multiple virtual machines or high end video editing.

As far as gaming its will max things completely? My friend is giving me a i7 2600k so will that improve it's downsides?
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 6:57:08 PM

Yep, though memory will still be an issue.

Your going from a 660Ti to a 660, gaming performance will decrease.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 8:21:20 PM

manofchalk said:
Yep, though memory will still be an issue.

Your going from a 660Ti to a 660, gaming performance will decrease.

Okay so I shouldn't which the gpu or the processor? How much will the decrease be?
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 8:22:16 PM

Also what do you mean memory will be a problem how do I fix it?
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 1:21:18 AM

As in memory will still be an issue if you were video editing or running virtual machines, need more if it.

The GPU.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 1:54:05 AM

manofchalk said:
As in memory will still be an issue if you were video editing or running virtual machines, need more if it.

The GPU.

could the MSI gpu do 4 screens like the Galaxy?
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 1:57:12 AM

I believe it can in extended desktop mode, but if you wanted to game across them then you need to SLI another graphics card in (and can only play across 3 or 6 screens).
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 3:20:45 AM

manofchalk said:
I believe it can in extended desktop mode, but if you wanted to game across them then you need to SLI another graphics card in (and can only play across 3 or 6 screens).

Can you recommend a card like that but personally I want to play games across 4 monitors and if that card can do the cards i mentioned can do that then im satisfied
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 3:31:06 AM

You cant game across three monitors, both Nvidia Surround and AMD Eyefinity support only odd numbers of screens. Reason being, imagine your crosshair being in the middle of two screens.
And if you want to game across the screens, you will need quite a bit more GPU grunt to achieve a playable FPS at that resolution, think Dual SLI 670's or Crossfire 7970's.

AMD Radeon cards can play across three screens with only one card (Nvidia require two in SLI), but again, will still need a powerful card/s to achieve playable frames.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 3:40:04 AM

so the msi nor the galaxy can do what i wish for but they can run 4 monitor?
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 3:45:40 AM

They can run four monitors in extended desktop mode, which means that it will be just like having a larger desktop.
However you wont be able to game across the screens, so you couldn't do something like this for instance.


If you switched to a Radeon card you could (if one of your monitors is DisplayPort capable, if not you will need an adpter) game across three screens, but as I said before, you would need at least two high end cards to get good performance at that resolution.

Also, for either Nvidia Surround or AMD Eyefinity all the monitors need to be the same resolution. So if your using mis-matched monitors you wont be able to game across them, but extended desktop is still possible.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 12:22:39 PM

Well how much would a card of that nature cost to run a game across 3 screens. But the Msi and galaxy can do 4 then but which is better out of the two (I hope I'm not asking to many questions)
m
0
l
!