Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer shut off mid-game, and won't turn back on.

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2013 1:26:51 AM

I was playing a game and my computer shut off mid-game without warning. After it had shut off completely and I heard the fan finally cut out, it gave a small beep inside of it and went dead. Since then, I've tried to turn it on several times without success.

Obviously my guess is overheating. This computer has never overheated on me before, and since I wasn't playing that rigorous of a game it caught me off-guard.

After it wouldn't immediately turn back on, I opened the case up and sprayed out the dust. There was a decent amount of dust in it, though not a TON. Nothing smelt burnt, though the inside did smell warm. I hit the power button to discharge the PSU, and plugged it back in. Still no luck. I tried changing the power cord. Still no luck.

Not really sure what to do. Could it still be trying to protect itself from overheat, or did something burn? If a component is busted, how would I be able to tell?

Specs:
GPU - EVA GeForce GTX 560
PSU - CORSAIR CX600 600W ATX12V
CPU - i5-3550 3.3 GHz
MOBO - ASRock B75M LGA 1155

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2013 2:17:39 AM

First thing here is to ensure there is some power going through the PSU. You can do that by jumping the PSU's green and black pins on the 24 pin connector with a paperclip (everything should be disconnected from the PSU here). See if the fan on the PSU comes on when power is applied. If the fan comes on and you have access to a multi-meter, you can check the voltages on the pins - this guide shows the various connectors and their corresponding pinout voltages http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....
February 16, 2013 3:48:12 PM

So I tried jumping the PSU by disconnecting every component from it and, with it plugged in, pushing a paper clip into contact with the pin for the green wire, and then the other end to various black wires. Each time nothing happened. I don't need to push the power button at the same time or anything, right?

Does this imply that it's my PSU that's busted?
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 4:16:27 PM

Oh, and if it is the PSU, it's still under warranty. I'll send it in since it's covered, but would I be better off buying a new PSU that's more powerful, or should I just replace it and call it good?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2013 4:16:35 PM

You do want to turn on the power supply with the paperclip in place (jumped). But there's no trick to that. If you do not have any activity from the fan when turning the PSU's power switch on, then RMAing would seem to be in order
edit: You should be okay with a replacement unit from Corsair
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:23:15 AM

Just wanted to let you know it was the PSU. Got a replacement one today and am back up and running. Many thanks for your help!
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:23:33 AM

Best answer selected by hb1547.
m
l
!