Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Maxtor
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 7, 2002 10:19:30 AM

I just built a PC for a friend, with a 40 GByte Maxtor hard drive. It's a dual-boot Win98SE/WinXP system. He also asked me to transfer the hard drive from his old computer to the new machine. The old hard drive - which isn't actually all that old - is a 30 GByte Maxtor, partitioned into three 10-GByte FAT partitions.

When I transferred the old hard drive today, and booted up in XP, everything was fine - all three partitions were accessible. However, in Win98SE, the second hard drive isn't visible at all. It's jumpered as a slave on the primary IDE channel, and it's showing up correctly in the bios.

Any ideas?

More about : visible win98

February 7, 2002 11:30:55 AM

Could be because you partitioned the XP drive in an NTFS filesystem. The NTFS is un-readable by any OS other then NT, 2000, and XP.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 7, 2002 12:08:02 PM

I don't think I made my partitions clear in my first post!

The 40-Gbyte drive (the master) has - at the moment - two 10-Gbyte partitions for the two OSs. Win98SE is on C, which is a FAT partition, and XP is on the other partition, which is NTFS. The rest is unpartitioned space at present. The 30-GByte slave drive has three 10-Gbyte partitions, all of which are FAT. This second disk is from my friend's old computer. All I did was change the jumper setting to slave and bung it in the new machine, so it still has all the files from his old machine on it.

In XP, I can see all five partitions. In Win98, I can see C (obviously!), and not the XP partition (as I expected). However, Win98 doesn't seem to know about the second disk - it's not listed in Device Manager at all - although the fact that it's all present and correct in XP suggests that the hardware setup is OK.

JK
Related resources
February 7, 2002 3:48:31 PM

In Win98 SE what does it show for the second drive in Fdisk? Just goto run and type fdisk.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 7, 2002 6:37:41 PM

try installing Motherboard's IDE Drivers under Windows XP. Also, check for DMA Support under Win98 (if checked, disable and restart, see if it works).

I wish my brain was an Athlon XP
!