Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Question

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2013 2:41:18 AM

Hi, I'm new to htpc system and was wondering about this computer someone gave me. I was given a dual xeon 3.0 cpu system with 6 gigs of ram .I was wondering if I bought a video card would I be able to use it as an HTPC system. Also If I ran XP on it I know it wouldnt see the 6 gigs but would it use it if it had too. Also any advice on Video card would be appreciated the board is older and only has a PCI X8 slot. Thanks

More about : htpc question

February 16, 2013 4:37:38 AM

First find the models of the Xeons, in -> control panel -> system....

Do you have a dual core or DP?

Either way a HTPD doesn't require much, and high end video cards are for rendering virtual 3d environments. Anything along the lines of a 6450 or < / 620 < greater is going to suffice for 1080p playback.

You can use virtually any box as a HTPC, most people on this forum seem to get their panties in a bunch about power draw. If you've hugged a few trees this week then the Xeons might not be your best choice for an always on solution. If you live in a relatively less densely populated area then the difference in $WPH is BS month to month.
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:59:17 AM

I was new to the HTPC scene not too log ago. Backdrops are a game changer for stored media.... However, when you get your HTPC to the point where you're ready to drop your set-top boxes it gets really nice.

I not too long ago added a WinTV 2650 cable card tuner @ 99$ to familiarize myself with the WMC DVR workflow. I've added more tuners since, but the 2650 remains a reliable component of my HTPC network.

Sounds like you have a nice free PC that you can experiment on. My suggestion would be to give XMBC a shot, which is a terrific home media solution and easy to use. In my opinion probably the most visually attractive. The problem with XBMC is "native" digital tuner card support. I know, I know, there are workarounds and plugins that I've used but if its your primary tuner, the mrs's having an issues is unacceptable.

The tuner support issue is why I eventually left XMBC for windows media center.

Having a PC as your DVR opens a ton of options. Look up MCE Buddy, Remote Potato, recorded tv hd, media browser, my channel logos....

One step further. Ceton Echo

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 16, 2013 12:30:23 PM

It has 2 seperate cpus it was an old server and it wont be on all the time
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:48:12 PM

Also the video card you recommended is a PCI express 16 card I dont think it will work with this board. This board only has PCI slots I believe. This is the server board model number se7520bd2 Any help is appreciated thxs
m
l
a c 142 U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:15:11 PM

Based on the specifications page for your motherboard, it has 1xPCI slot, 1xPCI-X slot @ 133MHz, 2xPCI-X slots @ 100 MHz, 1xPCI-Ex4, and depending on which version of the board, maybe a PCI-Ex8 slot.

So while you could use a PCI card like this PowerColor Radeon HD5450, you could also go with a PCI-Ex1 card (installed into the PCI-Ex4 slot) like this Zotac Geforce GT610

Lastly, it's possible that either of the PCI-Ex4 or PCI-Ex8 slots are open ended. This would allow you to install a PCI-Ex16 card into the slot. The extra pins are just left open.

An example of an open-ended PCI-E slot can be found here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1998&p...

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:17:40 PM

bjaminnyc said:
First find the models of the Xeons, in -> control panel -> system....

Do you have a dual core or DP?

Either way a HTPD doesn't require much, and high end video cards are for rendering virtual 3d environments. Anything along the lines of a 6450 or < / 620 < greater is going to suffice for 1080p playback.

You can use virtually any box as a HTPC, most people on this forum seem to get their panties in a bunch about power draw. If you've hugged a few trees this week then the Xeons might not be your best choice for an always on solution. If you live in a relatively less densely populated area then the difference in $WPH is BS month to month.

For an HTPC, using less power means less noise. For my gaming rig, I don't mind a bunch of fans.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:24:28 PM

i had a look at that mobo and it said

Expansion Slots SE7520BD2SATAD2 SE7520BD2SCSID2 SE7520BD2VD2
PCI-Express 1 X PCI Express X 8; 1 X PCI Express X 4 1 X PCI Express X 4

so i went on amazon and had a look and you can get a pcie x1 graphics card that should work.

heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Silence-DisplayPort-PCI-Expre...
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:08:13 PM

Thanks for all the info The cards you suggested do not have HDMI ports and that is the only ports my TV has on it if I use an adapter to one of the other ports that will screw up the audio correct?
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:21:56 PM

and yes i think it will mess up the audio
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:29:11 PM

Which one u didnt add the link..hehehe
m
l
!