My screen shows "No signal" after installing a new 7870.

G

I just built a new PC and my screen shows "No signal" after I turn on my computer. If I switch to an Integrated graphics card, everything works just fine. If I put in my old video card (Sapphire HD 3870) everything works just fine too! I updated my BIOS and the drivers but to no avail. Maybe it's a problem with the video card? Everything seems to be connected just fine (video card to motherboard and video card to PSU).

CPU: i5-3550
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 OC @ 1050&5000
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme 2 625W
Monitor: Acer AL2016W

PS: After a few tries the computer stopped turning on at all.

Xttony

Distinguished
Did you try installing the card in another pc?
It seems as if the power supply somehow cannot deliver the power or deliver enough power but your PSU should be able to handle it.
Did you connect both the power cable properly?

deltagolf

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I've been having a similar issue with the same motherboard and a differently branded 7870 (mine is an R7870 Core edition). Has anyone managed to find a solution?

I've tested a different GFX card (AMD 5750), which works fine and would appear to indicate the mobo is not faulty. The 7870 was returned to the supplier, who informed me that, according to their tests, the card was operational.

The only way to get an image on screen is to use the on-board graphics. I've tried updating the bios of the mobo, which was originally an older version, but still no luck. The installation of a beta bios was of no help.

I've replaced the PSU with a new one (650w) and still nothing. I'm awaiting responses from XFX and Gigabyte (the manufacturers of my GFX card and mobo respectively), XFX have been quick to acknowledge my email and requested my card's serial number and asked I contact the mobo manufacturer to see if they could shed more light on the matter. Unfortunately, Gigabyte have yet to respond.

I will post any updates, hopefully any responses from XFX and Gigabyte will assist those experiencing a similar problem.

G

Probably too late but, I changed the mobo to MSI H77MA-G43 and it works just fine.

deltagolf

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Almost forgot about my post here. Managed to get the card working a few weeks back after happening upon this solution.

http://ragnarkarlsson.org.uk/graphical-upgrade/

I found the above solution would only work after a fresh install of Windows, though it's worth trying before you decide to re-install.

Gigabyte also sent me this potential fix a while after I managed to get the card working, but seeing as the aforementioned fix worked fine, I didn't want to mess about with the settings any further.

Gigabyte's response

Hope this helps anyone else who may have been having similar issues, was driving me crazy for a good while!