Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:16:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

What canera is the best? -
Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20


--


Cheers _ Hunibal _

More about : panasonic fz5 fz20

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:16:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Hunibal wrote:
> What canera is the best? -
> Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20
> Cheers _ Hunibal _

How does one answer that question? It really depends on your needs.

I needed a light-weight, compact, take anywhere, anytime, high
performance camera. The FZ5 is near perfect for my needs.

The FZ20 is an impressive camera, but is larger and has the older image
processing engine (slower, noisier). If you need manual focus and/or
hot shoe and don't mind the larger chassis, then the FZ20 is your
ticket.

For me, I love the FZ5 and have no regrets. I take it with me at times
that a larger camera would be left at home. It is light and small
enough to forget while I am carrying it around. At a recent school
function a couple of parents brought along their SLR cameras. I noticed
both of them had to keep one hand on the camera, (to keep it from
swinging and taking a load off their neck), while they were walking
around. It just plain looked uncomfortable.

I recently posted a review at amazon.com. Please check it and the
others out for more user input on the Panasonic DMC-FZ5.

I would love to see Panasonic morph the FZ20 into a higher quality
prosumer camera, like the Olympus C8080. Bring the size down a bit,
upgrade the processing engine, reduce the noise a bit at high ISO, and
wrap the whole thing in a sweet magnesium chassis.

So far, the FZ5 is performing beyond my expectations.

Good luck, TR
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:09:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Hunibal wrote:
> What canera is the best? -
> Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20

A better question would be, "How do these cameras differ and
which differences are most immportant to me?"

The FZ20 is bulkier both in size and weight.

The FZ20 has a flash hot-shoe.

The FZ20 has an ED element in the lens, so it might have
better sharpness under some circumstances. I don't think
I've seen a good analysis of this on any of the review
sites.

The FZ20 has a very nice ring-operated fly-by-wire manual
focus, while the FZ5 has no manual focus. People are saying
this doesn't really matter. Both cameras appear to have
some sort of multi-zone autofocus scheme. If you can force
the camera to focus on a particular zone, that would be
almost as good as a real manual focus. The manuals are
unclear and I have not seen any owner of one of these
cameras describe how the multi-zone focus actually works.

It looks as if it might be simpler to adapt filters to
the FZ20 than to the FZ5, but this may be just because the
FZ5 has not been around as long. I'm to the point where
I know I want to use ND and polarizing filters for some
shots, so this is important to me.

The FZ5 is a little less expensive.

My current camera is an Olympus C700UZ. Either of the FZ5
or the FZ20 would be a nice upgrade. I'd rather have the
smaller camera, but I'm held back over not knowing how the
autofocus works and not knowing exactly what the lens
tradeoff is.

Paul Allen
Related resources
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:56:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

"Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 9Jue.78812$Kk4.1025303@news20.bellglobal.com...
> What canera is the best? -
> Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20

Not either one. The FZ5 is more general consumer oriented.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:50:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net wrote:
[]
> The FZ20 has an ED element in the lens, so it might have
> better sharpness under some circumstances. I don't think
> I've seen a good analysis of this on any of the review
> sites.

I tried telephoto shots with both the FZ5 and FZ20 (we have both cameras)
and under "normal" conditions you couldn't see much difference at all.
I'd be interested in a good analysis as well!

> It looks as if it might be simpler to adapt filters to
> the FZ20 than to the FZ5, but this may be just because the
> FZ5 has not been around as long. I'm to the point where
> I know I want to use ND and polarizing filters for some
> shots, so this is important to me.

55mm filters fit directly onto the lens-hood adapter of the FZ5, supplied
with the camera. I got a polarising filter and use it occasionally to
good effect. (From the FZ20 manual, it looks to be the same, perhaps
requiring a larger filter, though.

Cheers,
David
June 27, 2005 10:55:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Another poster had mentioned an older/slower/noisier (as in audible
noise?) processor on the FZ20. I'm interested if there is actually a
difference in speed or audible noise between these two? The FZ20
seems ideal for amateur wildlife photography. The audible noise may
be an issue.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:50:46 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net wrote:
>[]
>> The FZ20 has an ED element in the lens, so it might have
>> better sharpness under some circumstances. I don't think
>> I've seen a good analysis of this on any of the review
>> sites.
>
>I tried telephoto shots with both the FZ5 and FZ20 (we have both cameras)
>and under "normal" conditions you couldn't see much difference at all.
>I'd be interested in a good analysis as well!
>
>> It looks as if it might be simpler to adapt filters to
>> the FZ20 than to the FZ5, but this may be just because the
>> FZ5 has not been around as long. I'm to the point where
>> I know I want to use ND and polarizing filters for some
>> shots, so this is important to me.
>
>55mm filters fit directly onto the lens-hood adapter of the FZ5, supplied
>with the camera. I got a polarising filter and use it occasionally to
>good effect. (From the FZ20 manual, it looks to be the same, perhaps
>requiring a larger filter, though.
>
>Cheers,
>David
>

--

Monroe
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:24:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Monroe wrote:
> Another poster had mentioned an older/slower/noisier (as in audible
> noise?) processor on the FZ20. I'm interested if there is actually a
> difference in speed or audible noise between these two? The FZ20
> seems ideal for amateur wildlife photography. The audible noise may
> be an issue.

Just compared the two and, yes, there is a difference. The shutter noise
in the FZ5 is almost inaudible, in the FZ20 a quiet whisper (so, no
precise measurements!). The processor might cause more image noise,
rather than more audible noise, although I've not been aware of any
significant difference.

I would check in a shop. I'm not a wildlife photographer, but I would be
very surprised if the shutter noise was an issue. There is no other
noise. A twig cracking would be much louder by comparison. All these
cameras have vastly less acoustic noise than any DSLR.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:25:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Hunibal <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What canera is the best? -
> Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20

Objectively? FZ20. Subjectively? You might find the FZ5 suits your needs
and your budget, in which case why spend more?

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:55:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Monroe wrote:
> Another poster had mentioned an older/slower/noisier (as in audible
> noise?) processor on the FZ20. I'm interested if there is actually a
> difference in speed or audible noise between these two? The FZ20
> seems ideal for amateur wildlife photography. The audible noise may
> be an issue.
>

The FZ20 uses an earlier image processor engine (Venus I vs. Venus II)
that is a somewhat slower and per some of the reviews I have read does
not do quite as effective a job on image noise suppression. This has
nothing to do with audible noise. The FZ5 is virtually silent, I
imagine the FZ20 is also quite stealthy soundwise.

TR
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 6:43:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

David J Taylor wrote:

>Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net wrote:
>[]
>
>
>>The FZ20 has an ED element in the lens, so it might have
>>better sharpness under some circumstances. I don't think
>>I've seen a good analysis of this on any of the review
>>sites.
>>
>>
>
>I tried telephoto shots with both the FZ5 and FZ20 (we have both cameras)
>and under "normal" conditions you couldn't see much difference at all.
>I'd be interested in a good analysis as well!
>
>

I would be more interested in an analysis between the Canon S2 and the
Pan FZ5 relating to photo quality and field use not just a comparison
of features that one can do by themselves.

>
>
>>It looks as if it might be simpler to adapt filters to
>>the FZ20 than to the FZ5, but this may be just because the
>>FZ5 has not been around as long. I'm to the point where
>>I know I want to use ND and polarizing filters for some
>>shots, so this is important to me.
>>
>>
>
>55mm filters fit directly onto the lens-hood adapter of the FZ5, supplied
>with the camera. I got a polarising filter and use it occasionally to
>good effect. (From the FZ20 manual, it looks to be the same, perhaps
>requiring a larger filter, though.
>
>Cheers,
>David
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:00:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in
news:%42xe.1990$0V3.1254@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> I would be more interested in an analysis between the Canon S2 and
> the Pan FZ5 relating to photo quality and field use not just a
> comparison of features that one can do by themselves.

You will see plenty of those comparisons, but you might need to wait
for the S2 to have been on the streets for a little while, first. :-)

--
Bill
July 3, 2005 3:13:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

"Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:o 9Jue.78812$Kk4.1025303@news20.bellglobal.com...
> What canera is the best? -
> Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20
> --
> Cheers _ Hunibal _

Has anyone yet seen a published portrait taken with either the FZ5 or FZ20
showing natural skin tones, and not overly pink, red or orange?
Check out this pic:
http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/panasonicfz20_samples/...
The sitting guy has the typical FZ style red face, but the girl on the
poster has a much more subtle face color.
Is it that the camera overreacts from the natural haemoglobin of people but
not from printed colors?

/per
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:13:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

per wrote:
> "Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:o 9Jue.78812$Kk4.1025303@news20.bellglobal.com...
>> What canera is the best? -
>> Panasonic FZ5 - or - FZ20
>> --
>> Cheers _ Hunibal _
>
> Has anyone yet seen a published portrait taken with either the FZ5 or
> FZ20 showing natural skin tones, and not overly pink, red or orange?
> Check out this pic:
> http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/panasonicfz20_samples/...
> The sitting guy has the typical FZ style red face, but the girl on the
> poster has a much more subtle face color.
> Is it that the camera overreacts from the natural haemoglobin of
> people but not from printed colors?

Per,

It might be that you would prefer the colour saturation (and perhaps
sharpness) less than the default. The FZ20 allows you to adjust this, and
the FZ5 has "Picture adjust" natural, standard, or vivid. I haven't been
aware of any skin tone issues, but neither have I taken a lot of
portraits!

Cheers,
David
July 3, 2005 4:57:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
news:6EOxe.61420$G8.21788@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

>
> Per,
>
> It might be that you would prefer the colour saturation (and perhaps
> sharpness) less than the default. The FZ20 allows you to adjust this, and
> the FZ5 has "Picture adjust" natural, standard, or vivid. I haven't been
> aware of any skin tone issues, but neither have I taken a lot of
> portraits!
>
> Cheers,
> David
Thanks David for the reply.
Most test pics I have seen comparing the FZ20 and FZ5 indicates that the FZ5
has the better lens, apart from having a smaller aperture when zoomed out!
This is in contradion with all sales propaganda, but maybe the larger lens
of the FZ20 made it necessary to design it more complicated, not to loose
even more quality?
Would you know where I can find sample portrait pics, shot with natural,
standard and vivid colors for comparison?
I reckon the Standard Color Mode is default, maybe the Natural Color Mode
could take the red face tone down a notch. Also, did you indicate that the
FZ20 had better or worse possibilities to adjust color tones than the FZ5?
On this page, all portraits look like the models are blushing:
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/gallery/mo...
/per
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:10:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

per wrote:
[]
> Thanks David for the reply.
> Most test pics I have seen comparing the FZ20 and FZ5 indicates that
> the FZ5 has the better lens, apart from having a smaller aperture
> when zoomed out! This is in contradion with all sales propaganda, but
> maybe the larger lens of the FZ20 made it necessary to design it more
> complicated, not to loose even more quality?

My own very limited tests show very similar results from the two cameras,
the only difference being the slightly wider maximum aperture as you say.

> Would you know where I can find sample portrait pics, shot with
> natural, standard and vivid colors for comparison?

Sorry, no.

> I reckon the Standard Color Mode is default, maybe the Natural Color
> Mode could take the red face tone down a notch. Also, did you
> indicate that the FZ20 had better or worse possibilities to adjust
> color tones than the FZ5? On this page, all portraits look like the
> models are blushing:
> http://www.panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/gallery/mo...
> /per

"Standard" is indeed the default on the FZ5. It sounds as if "Natural"
would suit you better. I think that the FZ20 may have more individual
adjust possibilities than the FZ5. Yes, I just checked, individual
control of contrast, saturation, sharpness and noise reduction.

Cheers,
David
!