Computer turns back on after shut off

mtrotchie

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I recently built a computer and it worked great and still does. However, lately it has been turning itself back on about 15 seconds after I shut it down. If I shut it down from the choose user page then it will stay off, but if i shut it off from a logged on profile it will come back on. Dxdiag detects no problems, and as far as I can tell no plug ins are loose. This occurs with pressing the physical power button on the case as well as going into the start menu and clicking shut off.

my computer:
Windows 7
intel i5 3570k
asus p8 z77 v pro
mushkin 1333 ram 2 x4gb
cm 700w silent pro psu
samsung 840 250gb ssd
asus dvd burner
(buying a gpu this weekend most likely a 7950)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Run a command in administrative mode under dos,
c:>sfc /scannow

Then try shutting down after it has completed it's process of scanning and replacing all bad/corrupt systems files.
If it works your problem is solved.
If not
you'll need to enter the registry and force shutdown. A problem experienced under windows XP a lot.

Here is the reg key you'd need to change.
Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

In the right pane choose AutoReboot/Right Click/Modify. Change value to 0 to disable and 1 to enable

You don't need to find it
Just open the Command Prompt Window (Dos Console from Start Menu-- All Programs---Accessories---Command Prompt--->Right click on it and run with Administrative Rights.)
The Dos Window will open
Then you just need to type that into the Window at Command Prompt.

mtrotchie

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Alright thank you for help, I typed in the command however when i pressed enter, nothing happened. I shut down my computer after waiting about 5mins and it still restarted. So after that I modified value to 0 and it yet again restarted :/

mfjones

Reputable
May 4, 2014

thanks alyoshka with "c:>sfc /scannow" my problem solved. can you say to me what to do this command exactly? thanks again.

SFC - is Systems File Checker, and , scannow, commands the system to scan for change in the Main Systems Files at that moment.
Files get corrupt over a period of time, it just happens , so it ends up causing problems over a period of time when we install a lot of programs and remove old ones, sometimes the old important files provided by MS are replaced with our consent and then when the system looks for the old file signatures, it may not be able to find the original MS file, thus ending up with even vaguer errors.