wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello Guys,

I'm having some issues with my i5 760 cpu. It's installed on a Gigabyte GA-H55N mini-ITX board with a Sythe Shuriken cooler (stock Sythe 100mm fan used). I recently reinstalled the cpu cooler because the temperatures where way to hot (~38 degrees celcius idle, after 5 min of prime95 blend testing over 80 degrees causing the system to shut down)

I'm quite sure I installed the cpu cooler correctly (push-pins). I heard a clicking noise when I applied pressure on all four of the pins. The black pins are as far through as possible.

This is the amount of Artic Cooling MX-4 used (bought 2 days ago):
http://i42.tinypic.com/6fqv7d.jpg

After reinstalling the cooler i'm getting the same temperatures as before, 35-36 idle temperature shoots up to ~50 degrees the second after starting the prime95 blend test and keeps rising to ~72 degrees when the system shuts down. I noticed it shut down even earlier (72 degrees) then before (80 degrees) Any ideas why this might happen? Also the system won't power up immediately after the shut down. I have to wait like 30 minutes before I can power it back on.

Did I do something terribly wrong with the cpu cooler installation? Or do I just have a bad manufactured cpu or cooler? Please help! :(

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
i'm not sure 80 degrees is too hot, i think it is not the cause of the shutdown. can you give more specs about the system Graphics card, Power Supply?

well i always add more thermal paste than what you've added but that should be enough, but you can try removing it and see if it covered all the cpu area. if don't just add a little more.

also your cooler is not any super cooler, the cooling performance is not much superior than stock cooler, this is recommended for who have a compact case and want a silent solution.

you could try using another cooler if this is really the problem but would be nice to know what is your PSU and graphics card before changing it

EDIT: by latest pictures it should be ok just try reaching the full cpu area with thermal paste (add a little more to the missing area, but i don't think this is giving you the high temps.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Well your psu should be enough for the system (without overclocks).

Well while you are under TJMax you should eb ok lot of peoples on the internet are running it a 75 celsius and 80 celsius without problems.

for now try not stressing the cpu since it will not normally get to those temps if you start to get shutdowns at normal use you may need to change to another cpu cooler.

but this is really strange turning off at 72 celsius, maybe your motherboard have a safety profile that is doing that? just imagining...

wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
assuming it is the cpu cooler, what would be a better alternative that fits inside the Silverstone GS05 and the Gigabyte GA-H55N?

I noticed another quite high temperature: http://i44.tinypic.com/1zox37t.png (after stress testing for 2 minutes) the cores are already cooled down (new thermal paste job seems to yield better idle temps!)
I think this is the chipset (?) on the mainboard. See this picture: http://i43.tinypic.com/1zqfvdi.png

I could hold my finger on it for quite some time, but it sure was getting hot!

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
like he said it is at 80 degress i don't think it is normal to a computer turn off only at 80 celsius on a cpu, check if anything else if overheating, i would say that your psu was droping the computer when the CPu used full power, but since you have a silverstone and also by the factor that you need to wait before turning on i think your cpu is really overheating or your motherboard maybe is configured to only work at low temps.

Are you measuring your temps how? if you try to use Real temp you can check the TJMax it is the temperature that normally will cause the cpu to turn off, but 80 degress is not too hot for that strange behavior.

wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Intel does specify the Tcase at 72.7 °C. Not sure what that means though :p

Anyway, I'm not able to access the bios because the onboard vga/dvi ports do not seem to work (even after a bios reset). Having some issues with the GTX 460 too, when I plug the 6-pin pci express connector in front-most socket, the system turns on for half a second and then shuts back down. If I only use the other 6-pin socket it does boot and the fan of the GTX 460 is spinning, but still no video output :(

sempifi99

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I don't know too much about the i5-760 but that temp does seem really alot for any cpu. I looked that your thermal paste footprint on your cooler/cpu. I would recomend reapplying it and making sure it covers the entire cpu. I prefer the method where you take a creadit card like object and smear a small amount of thermal paste (less than 1mm) across the entire cpu evenly then drop the cooler over it.

I do this for my systems and I get about 1-2c cooler than doing a bebee in the center and having the pressure of the cooler spread it out.

Just to make sure, and I don't think anyone asked this priorly, but are you overclocking your system at all?

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Just my observations.

First, that picture of your CPU paste doesnt look like a good contact. And it doesnt look like it is your paste amount, it looks like your cpu has a high spot or your tension on your mount isnt enough. I would start there first, your heat sink needs to make a more full contact with the cpu. Quite frankly if you are having trouble with this, go back to your stock heat sink to verify this part of the issue. The stock heat sink should be able to keep it at less than 65 degrees with mild overclock. If you are hitting 80 degrees, something is off, either your air flow, ambient temperature, or heatsink mount. By the way, put paste on your cpu, then spread with finger in ziplock bag or equivalent, then mount your HS.

Second, if you are overclocking your GPU/CPU or both (which by god you should, both of yours do it well), then 36A is NOT enough for this. And my bet is your power supply is not sufficient if you are overclocking. You are likely running at the top end of what that power supply will supply for long periods of time. As a rule only use up to 80% of your PSU maximum power for long periods of time, what will happen is your system will instantly turn off (or blue screen because it is undervolting) and will take a little while to turn back on (because the PSU has to cool down before it will turn on again). My money is on this being your problem, but removing your overclocking should allow this PSU to handle the job. Power demand greatly increases on these bad boys as they overclock. Personally I wouldnt use less than a 40A PSU on this build. But based on your system build, you might not be overclocking, which makes a sad panda.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

you should connect both pci-e pins to the graphics card work o.o, you should never connect it without the two power pins plugged.

wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah well when I have both connected and I press the power button, the LED's on the mainboard turn on for like 0,2 seconds and the fan of the psu starts to spin but immediately after that the whole thing shuts down and won't start again after I unplugged the psu.

I only took the gpu out and did some dust cleaning with compressed air while making sure that I didn't touch the pcb and holding the fan so it wouldn't spin while cleaning. It's hard to believe that that killed the gpu, I know it's possible but still...

Anyway i'm now able to run prime95 for an hour with a temperature of about ~70 °C (18 °C room temp I would say. Still only able to access the system trough remote-desktop :(

65u2k2.png

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

i think maybe you are having issues with your psu, if you are able to test with a more powefull psu would be nice, i think that it is not handling the power used by the gpu and is turning of the computer, you should really check that psu out. maybe that is what happens when the cpu was wasting too much power, the psu could not handle and turned off.

this is strange since your psu is not that bad, but worth checking out.

you could buy a good psu for your computer like this one, and replace your old one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

this psu may handle all your desktop well for a long time;

wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
The thing is that I have this system for over a year now. The temps never where great and I did experienced shutdown's when stress testing. But those where definitely because of high temperatures (over 90). I always thought it was just a bad thermal paste job. I never really had the time to take everything apart (mini itx are hell-of-a builds man :p) and redo it.

It was doing it's tasks just fine (I could even play the latest games on it with quite high settings) until recently it started to fail and I finally made the decision to figure out what is wrong with it (I know I should have done this right away...)
So it's hard for me to believe the psu is failing because earlier it could handle the gpu and cpu just fine.

grumbledook

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Maybe the heatpipes/heatsink have gotten a bit loose so they're not transferring the heat properly. Does the base of it look okay, and can you move any of the pipes and sink at all?

wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Is the psu you recommended FSX form factor compatible? It has to fit into a mini-itx case :p

I wish I had a spare PSU, I guess I would have to go and yank one out of a perfectly fine computer then :( But that seems to be the only way of telling if the gpu or psu is falling

wouterk

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Same result, when the far most pci-e connector is connected the system won't start. I guess that would mean the gpu really is dead? :(